xga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey Guys,

Wii U noob here.

So I'm looking at purchasing a NOS Wii U from an online seller. Am I correct in thinking that with the closure of the Wii store any day now (and not being able to purchase a DS title) that it won't be possible to install / use Haxchi? I'd much rather a persistent / auto-boot solution for CFW if possible.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Still a fair question. What if in the near future (sooner then we want) Nintendo pulls the plug on the wiiu shop.
Can't imagine that they will keep it open very long as there were only 15 mil. consoles sold with probably very little traffic atm., when they are willing to close the wii shop with a over 100 mil consoles sold (although probably also very little traffic).

Then..... will the only 'hack' left be the browser exploit? In that case I hope that some way to install a haxchi-like exploit over a standard application like parental control will come to surface by then.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still a fair question. What if in the near future (sooner then we want) Nintendo pulls the plug on the wiiu shop.
Can't imagine that they will keep it open very long as there were only 15 mil. consoles sold with probably very little traffic atm., when they are willing to close the wii shop with a over 100 mil consoles sold (although probably also very little traffic).

Then..... will the only 'hack' left be the browser exploit? In that case I hope that some way to install a haxchi-like exploit over a standard application like parental control will come to surface by then.
Nintendo said last year that the WiiU eshop would be available until at least 2022 so still a good few years left yet until it shuts down.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Death of video games, I know that not all of them are liked but I still think preservation is important. Thinking that stuff, especially digital content can just die like that is nerve wrecking:(

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Death of video games, I know that not all of them are liked but I still think preservation is important. Thinking that stuff, especially digital content can just die like that is nerve wrecking:(
Well, you already can backup any title you have a titlekey for, and install and run it on a CFW system: where is the problem (in this specific case)?

Especially since the only thing that is closing tonight will be the ability to buy new licenses, not the one to redownload software (unlike what many seem to have misunderstood)

Reactions: AmandaRose

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you already can backup any title you have a titlekey for, and install and run it on a CFW system: where is the problem (in this specific case)?

Especially since the only thing that is closing tonight will be the ability to buy new licenses, not the one to redownload software (unlike what many seem to have misunderstood)
Yeah but where does that leave the people who don't have that stuff? I'm just worried about preservation, our whole history's foundation is built on preserving information or content. That's why we still have cassette tapes and players even though is more common to have a CD or a server to download from. :ninja:

Wii shop has some interesting content. It was the beginning of virtual console service that allowed people to officially buy some great games from older consoles for low price than people selling games for the original hardware today, like neo geo. It even had arcade games too, or import games, and "first time ever internationally localized" release like Monster World IV on the mega drive. Also the exclusive wii ware games which for the wii may have been hit or miss, still it's exclusive and losing that alone is bad enough. It's no doubt a spectacle for emulation with the title virtual console alone. :)

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
luckily most (if not all) Wiiware and VC titles are dumped as wad file and can run on Dolphin or installed on a softmodded WII and VWii. Point is that getting them is slowly becoming difficult as romsites are going offline and those that are still there, have a lot of dead links as the wads are already to old.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah but where does that leave the people who don't have that stuff?
Easy, whenever the "correct" way to get something is illegal/unsatisfactory/missing, the black market steps in ;)
(something the American government and their affiliates clamorously failed to learn in the 1920s, but I digress)

That "famous mushroom-eating plumber"-"3D geometric shape featured in the name of a Nintendo product" site is definitely aiming to be one of the leading Wii digital release archive; certainly, it would be interesting and more resilient to get a true P2P distribution going, but one step at a time...

Last edited by Ryccardo,

sledgebeast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To the original question but regards to an original Wii console. Is there no way to hack a Wii now that the Wii shop is closed?
A friend of mine has an original White Wii and was oooing & awwing over my haxchi'd Wii U. I first told him we could do that
to his old Wii But after hearing the Wii Shop Closed I told him I don't think there's any way to do that now???

Not talking about a vWii here. My buddy wants Retroarch on his old Wii Console...

Last edited by sledgebeast,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
To the original question but regards to an original Wii console. Is there no way to hack a Wii now that the Wii shop is closed?
A friend of mine has an original White Wii and was oooing & awwing over my haxchi'd Wii U. I first told him we could do that
to his old Wii But after hearing the Wii Shop Closed I told him I don't think there's any way to do that now???

Hello.:)

If you mean to hack the regular Wii (I do not know how it makes sense to hack a vWii.....:D). then you do not need the Wii Shop.

There is the Letterbomb Exploit or you can use @XFlak ´s ModMii for this work.
The Things you need is the MAC Adress of the Wii and a regular (2-8 GB) SD Card for the Exploit.

Or the Wii Browser Exploit FlashHax.
Or you can use the SD Card less Solution str2hax.

Thank you.:)

Reactions: jeannotte

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Do all those methods require Revisiting a Browser Hack Link each time you power off?

We still speak of an REAL Wii ?

No,the "Exploit" is permanent.:)
(Until you try to reset your Wii or try to install some other "bad" Things like wrong System Channels or System Version on it.)

It installs the Homebrew Channel from which all Applications/USBLoaders and so on get started.

Reactions: jeannotte

sledgebeast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes my buddy has a real Wii.
Its not a Wii U like I Have.

So will the latest version of Retroarch 1.8.2 Run on a "Real Wii" or is he going to need an older version of RA?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes my buddy has a real Wii.
Its not a Wii U like I Have.

So will the latest version of Retroarch 1.8.2 Run on a "Real Wii" or is he going to need an older version of RA?

Yes it works,but unfortantely I have no Idea of the "deep" Configuration of it.
I managed to run SNES Core and Games.:D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)