Having trouble installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (from W7U 32 bit)

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I have another PC problem, this time with software

So I decided to upgrade my W7U 32 bit for the 64 bit since I have a lot of RAM that's not being used and my CPU being 64 bit capable

I didn't exactly do this the "legal" way. I burned an ISO image of the installation from a torrent onto a DVD+R disc and loaded up the installation burned disc onto my computer soon after, without doing anything to the original OS. I used this video tut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU6TBSXn2bc&feature=plcp

The installation took WAY longer than expected. I have slow DSL internet so you can imagine trying to download a 5GB disc at 80 kbs (High priority). The installation itself was too long IMO, and it lagged like hell, meaning that the FPS were low on screen. It took about 12 hours for the first part of the installation and another 5 for it to complete the installation. I skipped the serial key verification and came back to it in 10 hours. After an hour or two of waiting, it came to a black screen with the mouse cursor. I got fed up and turned it off, let my computer rest for a few hours and then re-booted it. It came to a black screen (BSoD I presume) so I re-booted it and started the StartUp Repair, which is what it's currently doing right now

What exactly did I do wrong? Was I suppose to wait at the black screen with the mouse cursor? Or was the installation screwed up in the first place? The kid (or woman) in the video claimed the installation should only take about a few hours yet mine took an entire day and it didn't even work. Is it a corrupted hard drive? Bad installation disc?

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
StartUp Repair most likely isn't going to help and I'm guessing your not willing to reintall again. I'm guessing your verified when burning the disc so maybe it was the ISO. You can always use chkdsk, use a linux disc to check SMART data , various programs to check HDD and your drive's manufacturer might have some tools on their site to check your drive. Doing a clean install is better since it takes a lot less time.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the torrent speed that bad, or was your internet? Looking at the available seeders for the disc you're wanting, you shouldn't be that low, unless it's you, or you maybe got an unpopular torrent :/

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the torrent speed that bad, or was your internet? Looking at the available seeders for the disc you're wanting, you shouldn't be that low, unless it's you, or you maybe got an unpopular torrent :/
Ya, I'm guessing it was the ISO since of that but maybe it was just a bad burn.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're upgrading, you don't even need to burn the ISO though! You can use Alcohol 52%, mount the service, and begin an upgrade/installation from there. When the system reboots to finish, it already has the necessary files on the hard drive you're using, so no need to fret over not having a physical disc in the drive.

At least, in my experience. Just a few weeks ago I did this on a 64-bit laptop that came through with a 32-bit installation.

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since someone said that Startup Repair won't help and that doing a clean install is much better, how should I do a clean install? Doesn't matter if I have to restart the installation

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may still be able to do a complete reinstall beginning from your current installation, but if not, you can take any USB device with more than 4GB storage and turn that into an installation drive. Google up how to get it bootable, and then you just extract the installation CD files to the drive in question.

Sonic4Ever

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm surprised nobody suggested that his optical drive may be damaged. When your computer struggles an entire day to get stuff from a disc, that is usually the case.

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sonic4Ever You may be right about the DVD drive being broken but then again, it took a minute to burn the installation software onto the disc. I'm not really sure if anything is wrong with it. Anyway I'm still having issues with the installation. I did a clean install and I still can't get passed the black screen after the installation finishes and after the serial key part. What should I do?

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try a different download? If you're trying the same one that gave you problems the first time, that might be indicative of a bad download after all. Get a more reliable one and give it another try.

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Celice there's a few problems with that. Because of the clean install I did, I can't use my PC to go to the internet as of now to download another installation. And my sister has a computer but is a little b%$% about letting me use it.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If your drive took ' only a minute ' to burn an image over 4gb, then chances are that not all the files were burned correctly.

You might have a few bad sectors on the DVD, or a faulty drive, or a bad image to beguin with.....also in most cases, when dealing with delicate data such an OS or even a game, it's always a good idea to burn the disc at a relatively slow speed ( 4x for example ) to ensure perfect compatibility.

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In other words, I would have to download the same files at a slower speed from another computer and then burn those files to another disc for the installation? Maybe the files being burned too fast is the reason the installation went wrong in the first place

Great, another 12 hours of waiting...

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest again downloading a new copy of the iso; your download speed, if torrenting, should not be as slow as yours was, and if you weren't torrenting, you might want to do so this time to make sure you get a working copy of the disc.

This is the safest and most guaranteed plan, in my opinion. Or at least the most reliable, outside of having an actual CD at the moment if you're still wanting to get a fresh installation on your system.

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go for another W7U installation but I can't seem to find any reliable ones outside of the video (in the question) I found. And I've read the comments of that video and they've all been positive and confirmed that the installation works but then again, it cant never hurt to go for another installation video.

So what Im going to do is to re-download the installation files (and as you suggested, from another source), wait a couple of hours, come back to it after its done downloading and then burn the installation files at a slower speed (how to do that with PowerISO?). Then I'll just redo a clean install again, wait ANOTHER couple of hours for the installation to finish and I should have W7U 64 bit working by the end of tomorrow

*Sigh*

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The simple fact of the matter is that you can't upgrade/install 32 bit windows 7 to 64 bit windows 7 from within windows 7 32 bit if that is what you are doing. Microsofts installer won't let you and should you warn you so when you run the setup. Clean links for windows 7 iso's can be found from MSDN, Technet or Digital River. They are free for anyone to download from.

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I already made it clear in the question that my CPU *IS* 64 bit capable. If you want to help, then at LEAST read the details in the question before jumping to conclusions

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never suggested that it wasn't. The title of your post stated that you were trying to install 64 bit windows 7 from 32 bit windows 7. The 64 bit windows 7 installer cannot do that officially. I have both the 64 bit and 32 bit retail copies of windows 7 ultimate (and a 64 bit cpu). I tried what you did myself and was informed by the installer that I couldn't. I could do a fresh install of both of course. I cannot vouch for hacked/cracked copies as I have never used them. If what you are doing is trying to install 64 bit windows 7 the normal way (ie a fresh install with the disc in the drive from a cold boot/reboot) then I apologize.

Here is the direct link for 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) English from Digital River (should you wish to use it) :-

http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-59465.iso

According to MSDN, the SHA1 checksum should be : 36AE90DEFBAD9D9539E649B193AE573B77A71C83

As far as burning the ISO file is concerned, I would suggest you use ImgBurn using good media and 4x/8x speed. It will automatically make the disc bootable if needed and you can verify the discs content with the ISO file. You can also test the discs quality (in case the disc is faulty) before you waste the disc and burn it.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid +1