Hacking Having issues with games saving

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I got my Acekard 2i 6 hours ago and I have been having troubles with games since. Tried to look through some posts but wasn't finding what I needed.

I have a DS Lite, 2i, and a San Disk 4GB Micro SD HC.

The Acekard I have is not fake.

I've tried reformatting multiple times with the panasonic SDFormatter, with fresh Akaio 1.9 files.

What happens is the game starts fine but eventually after the Nintendo logo and "Touch Screen to Continue" I get a message like "Data could not be written. Turn the power off, and reinsert the Game Card." Although games that I guess don't set up a save immediately let me get further, for example, in Animal Crossing - Wild World I can play as long as I want but when it comes time to save I am unable to and the game crashes.

Additionally it seems like I can't save my Akaio preferences as well. The easiest way I've thought to test this is to change the theme and that won't stick.

Any help would be much appreciated. Google has not served me well this time, unfortunately.

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Test finished without errors.
Writing speed: 13.0 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I tried the paper fix as well and it didn't help.

Any other ideas? I don't think a new micro SD card will be needed but I guess it never hurts to have more memory cards. I'd prefer not to buy another though.

Do you think it has anything to do with the DS Lite? I plan on buying a 3DS XL for Pokemon X. I can honestly just wait to use it then.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
please list the games you are having issues with. have you verified the rom by CRC value against a known goodset listing, to rule out file corruption? what version of akaio are you running? you said your acekard is not fake, but did you verify the code or are you just assuming?

-another world

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only games I've tried to play is Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Animal Crossing - Wild World, The World Ends With You.

I am not sure what CRC value is but I downloaded the games from *snip* and the comments seem to imply they are decent downloads. I didn't download anything without comments.

I am running ver 1.9.

I verified it on the site.

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors and this time instead of kicking me off the game when it's saving.. it actually let's me save. It's not really saved, as in when I restart the game it starts from the beginning. So I guess I need a new SD card? I don't know this is a pain. :(

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check

Google and find an application that allows you to check CRC values for a file. Then navigate to http://www.advanscene.com/. this site is a goodset listing and it collects information about "scene" released ROM dumps. you'll be able to find the CRC value here and then compare it. If they don't match then the ROM you have is not a clean/proper dump.

load a game and play it for awhile (a good 30 min). then turn your ds upside down (hold it above your head), shake it a little bit, set it down firmly, and try other things to jar your ak2i. then let me know if it ever loses contact during any of these tests.

-another world

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CRC values are in order.

I tested the contact and nothing happened. I haven't bought a micro sd card in a while.. or any memory for that matter, a new micro sd card isn't much money it's probably worth a shot unless you can think of more tests to do.

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried a different card finally.. no luck. So it has to be the acekard right? What do I do now?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
lets back track for a second.

what formatter are you using with your msd cards? are you always testing clean dumps or are you using previously backed up copies? if you are testing previous copies, are you verifying their CRC value each time before testing?

what you are describing sounds exactly like a contact issue. i have a card that does everything you are describing. a very thin slice of paper from a phone book fixed the issue. the paper trick isn't foolproof and you may need to use different thicknesses of paper until you find one that works. are either ends of your PCB warped? are any of the contact points dirty or covered by the ak2i shell? is the ak2i shell warped at all (it sits perfectly flat on both sides?)?

does the spring in the msd slot work correctly? its grabbing your msd card and clicking into place?

-another world

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I format with the Panasonic SDFormatter. Every time I try it I use a new akaio download and the copies are CRC verified.

Well.. I figured since I didn't lose contact when I tried to jar it with the last test you had me do it was fine. The card is kinda warped though on the title side with the shiny sticker there's a bump right in the center, and on the back with the security code its kinda warped a bit but like the front. I will try some phone book paper and see how that goes.

The MSD card is supposed to click when you put it in the ak2i? Mine definitely doesn't click there's a little notch feel when I slide it in but that's it, just like when it is slid into the converter, but not as defined.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
is your case glued or clipped shut? the clips are obvious, if you don't see them then you case is sealed with glue. you said there is a bump. is it a 1/4 in by 1/4 inch (or so) sized bump or just a small bump in the sticker?

here is more info on real ak2i kits and clones: http://www.akaio.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410 some of the wording is outdated and its missing dates, but the information is worth a read.

they did remove the spring for a short while in the old design. however, that design has not been manufactured for a long time (years). i do not believe that design ever had the anti-counterfeit code sticker. so if you have an actel chipped design (with the chip under the sticker, protruding through a hole in the shell) and it has the anti-counterfeit code, then i'm a bit confused. you will never be 100% certain if the msd slot has a spring without opening up the card. your issue could be a contact issue with the msd card because your spring is not working. i've had springs stop working and was able to fix them by applying a lot of pressure after the msd card was inserted. this pressure "popped" the spring back into place and then the next time i inserted the msd card the spring clicked and held the card in place.

can you boot akaio and goto the help menu, and then let me know what HWID is reported? also what color is your printed circuit board? you can see the color just above the contact teeth.

warped shells can cause contact issues that paper can't fix.

-another world

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reckon it's glued as I see some glue like shinny stuff in the seal, also I figure if it's clipped I can open it. The bump is 1/4" by 1.4" as you describe.

HW: 81 and the paint or whatever above the gold contact teeth is shiny black.

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit I just did what you described about applying pressure to the MSD and I'll be damned it has a fucking spring. Though it didn't fix the problem unfortunately. Well that was an emotional roller coaster. o_o

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
unfortunately we never recorded dates for when the anti-counterfeit code sticker was first used. we also never paid attention to when the Actel chip changed and what HWID it had. you could probably dig for this information by finding old posts and checking their date. since you said the code checked out, i have to assume it is legit. if we can't chalk up the problem to a clone card then the issue has to be a contact issue or a msd slot issue.

since you got the spring working, try a fresh reformat. put on new copies of everything and try again.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i found news post on acekard.com going back to 2009 saying they no longer use the actel chip or the windowed shell. http://www.acekard.com/news.php?&p=6 clones using that chip appeard that year and were more common 6 months later in 2010. it looks like the anti-counterfeit code sticker didn't appear until around march of 2011, at least that is when they first announced that users could check a code and how to do it. by then, the actel chip was long gone from their production design.

if you just bought that card, someone knowingly sold you an old card or a clone. when you checked the anti-counterfeit code sticker did it say it was the 1st time being checked?

assuming you only checked it once, this is what the site will say if you check it again "This Anti-Counterfeit is correct and had been checked 2 times already. If this code shows had been checked already but it's your first time to check then you maybe bought a fake card. Please contact your vendor for refund."

if you check it again what number is displayed and how many times did you check it in the past?

-another world

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I don't think it's that old because on the shiny sticker it says DSi(XL)&3DS Compatible. And yea I am the only one that checked the code. I got it from realhotstuff if that matters.

Will it hurt the card if I take off the sticker to look under it?

Edit: I can take some pictures.

xKoan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sd8ycPB.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a picteof not updating just tell them don't update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...