Haven't Done This Since 2014

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone refresh my memory?

Last time I used my modded ps3, I was on HEN and used Multiman to play back ups. I also remember that I had to extract iso files onto a folder with the games name. Multiman would then mount the game and let me play it on the regular Sony menu.

What is the latest method? I see that there are .pkg files and .rap files but I remember that .pkg was mainly for PSN shop smaller games.

Are newsgroups still a thing for PS3?

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Can someone refresh my memory?

Last time I used my modded ps3, I was on HEN and used Multiman to play back ups. I also remember that I had to extract iso files onto a folder with the games name. Multiman would then mount the game and let me play it on the regular Sony menu.

What is the latest method? I see that there are .pkg files and .rap files but I remember that .pkg was mainly for PSN shop smaller games.

Are newsgroups still a thing for PS3?
Are you sure on using HEN, as 2014 predates HEN quite significantly AFAIK. IS your PS3 able to run CFW, a phat or early(ish) slim?

You can still use ISO's like you previously did, but pkg's even for larger games can be used. Check PKGi PS3.
Multiman has been mostly superseded by Webmanmod, Irisman and Managunz these days.

Basically things haven't changed a lot, except for ways of installing CFW since 2014 and programs getting updated.

What do you mean with newsgroups - forums like this one?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Assuming 2014 is correct and the other anachronisms commented above aren't:

Cobra is now included in most CFWs [and many utilities include its outboard compatible Mamba], which at the time was a paid CFW (by the same company that did the Brickway 3DS, Stargate, Classic2Magic, and bought the Xecuter name for the switch) and now allows most setups to mount disc images (PS3/PS1/movie DVD/movie BD) and play them with much better accuracy and compatibility than file-level rips (=GAMES folders) that were customary at the time; if your console has a proper CFW as opposed to HEN (which was invented in 2018) you also get PS2 disc images off the internal drive

Assuming you haven't converted your console to DEX (nor it's one out of the box) you can just install a modern CFW, which you can find on psx-place, remember to also update your utilities (ie the *man homebrews) afterwards, as said there are many nicer/sectorially better ones than Multiman though it will likely work if you prefer that one, since most updates since 4.82 (for which a brand new exploit was released, still working in a roundabout way on the newest update) are pretty minor and updating said utilities is mostly about getting them to display the right version number!

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure on using HEN, as 2014 predates HEN quite significantly AFAIK. IS your PS3 able to run CFW, a phat or early(ish) slim?

You can still use ISO's like you previously did, but pkg's even for larger games can be used. Check PKGi PS3.
Multiman has been mostly superseded by Webmanmod, Irisman and Managunz these days.

Basically things haven't changed a lot, except for ways of installing CFW since 2014 and programs getting updated.

What do you mean with newsgroups - forums like this one?
Maybe I am getting HEN mixed up with the PS4 CFW. I can't remember for sure what CFW was on it. Back in 2011 you needed a cell phone with a program or a USB key to launch CFW. Later they released a cold boot solution.

Multiman isn't used much anymore?

What popular CFW were out in 2014? I would like to refresh my memory.

Newsgroups = .NZB files.
Post automatically merged:

Assuming 2014 is correct and the other anachronisms commented above aren't:

Cobra is now included in most CFWs [and many utilities include its outboard compatible Mamba], which at the time was a paid CFW (by the same company that did the Brickway 3DS, Stargate, Classic2Magic, and bought the Xecuter name for the switch) and now allows most setups to mount disc images (PS3/PS1/movie DVD/movie BD) and play them with much better accuracy and compatibility than file-level rips (=GAMES folders) that were customary at the time; if your console has a proper CFW as opposed to HEN (which was invented in 2018) you also get PS2 disc images off the internal drive

Assuming you haven't converted your console to DEX (nor it's one out of the box) you can just install a modern CFW, which you can find on psx-place, remember to also update your utilities (ie the *man homebrews) afterwards, as said there are many nicer/sectorially better ones than Multiman though it will likely work if you prefer that one, since most updates since 4.82 (for which a brand new exploit was released, still working in a roundabout way on the newest update) are pretty minor and updating said utilities is mostly about getting them to display the right version number!

Cobra was the first solution that came out for CFW back in 2011 if my memory serves me right.

I am not sure that I have HEN, maybe I got it mixed up with PS4 as I am sure that I haven't touched the PS3 since 2014.

DEX I am almost sure I don't have. I think that is a dev mode cfw, but I am not sure what benefits it offers.

Maybe I was on Rebug? I need a list of CFW's from the time period and I am sure it will click.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cobra was the first solution that came out for CFW back in 2011 if my memory serves me right.
I think it was PSJailbreak or TrueBlue, but Cobra's CFW was a thing back then yep!

DEX I am almost sure I don't have. I think that is a dev mode cfw, but I am not sure what benefits it offers.

Well it's a developer console or one that has been converted-ish into one, advantage of doing that (since you won't get the extra memory or drm-free hdmi encoder chip) is debugging (some cheat plugins are exclusive to DEX) and internet cool points :D

Rebug is "REX" for consumer (CEX) systems or "D-REX" for DEX, those are made-up terms to highlight how Rebug combines some features from each (which is also why the last Rebug is 4.81 - that's the newest leaked DEX update)

Not sure how comprehensive it is but this should help: https://consolecrunch.com/threads/list-of-ps3-ofws-cfws-decrs-and-retail-firmwares.26932/

In any case, if your console is CEX, you can directly update (via usb) to another CEX cfw, if there are problems it will just fail with no particular risks :)

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here