Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A lot of people seem to be confused.
Being unable to move your arm ( because you slept on it and it's numb ) has nothing to do with Sleep Paralysis.
If you never experienced Sleep Paralysis, then you don't know what it's like and what it's all about.

I had it several times, I think the first time was when I was 13- 14 yo.
Trough the years, I had it maybe 15 times( last time it happened about 8 months ago ), and strangely enough I didn't know what it really was, I thought it was just a bad dream, but a little research led me to the understanding of the Sleep Paralysis.

Basically, in my case, it happens that I'm asleep, and everything is fine.
Then I feel some sense of danger, like somebody is trying to break up into my house trough the door or windows.
I think I'm awake, I know I'm in my bed, alone, that I am sleeping and probably dreaming, so I try to wake up and move, but I can't !
I really push myself hard out of the bed, I even try to twist my body and fall out of the bed, with all my strength, or even try to scream, but there's nothing I can do about it !
Then all of the sadden ( after a couple of minutes struggling ) , I manage to snap out of it, and I wake up, all sweat, and I realize it was just a dream.
I have no idea why it happens, and then again it only happens every once in a few years, but it surely it's scary.
I'm glad I found this topic , because I actually never spoke to anybody about it, so this is a first !

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Arm73 said:
A lot of people seem to be confused.
Being unable to move your arm ( because you slept on it and it's numb ) has nothing to do with Sleep Paralysis.
If you never experienced Sleep Paralysis, then you don't know what it's like and what it's all about.

I had it several times, I think the first time was when I was 13- 14 yo.
Trough the years, I had it maybe 15 times( last time it happened about 8 months ago ), and strangely enough I didn't know what it really was, I thought it was just a bad dream, but a little research led me to the understanding of the Sleep Paralysis.

Basically, in my case, it happens that I'm asleep, and everything is fine.
Then I feel some sense of danger, like somebody is trying to break up into my house trough the door or windows.
I think I'm awake, I know I'm in my bed, alone, that I am sleeping and probably dreaming, so I try to wake up and move, but I can't !
I really push myself hard out of the bed, I even try to twist my body and fall out of the bed, with all my strength, or even try to scream, but there's nothing I can do about it !
Then all of the sadden ( after a couple of minutes struggling ) , I manage to snap out of it, and I wake up, all sweat, and I realize it was just a dream.
I have no idea why it happens, and then again it only happens every once in a few years, but it surely it's scary.
I'm glad I found this topic , because I actually never spoke to anybody about it, so this is a first !

Wowowowowow wait a sec, after I read that post...
I remember I had LOTS! and LOTS!!! Of those attacks when I was younger o.o
It was always when I had a nightmare.
You half-wake up... Or whatever.
It's like you're in real life, but with the stuff from your dreams.
(read, pedobear in your real life bedroom)
I always wanted to scream extremely hard. Which epically failed xD Not even a little bit of noise :/
When I was a kid I had lots of nightmares
tongue.gif

And thus, lots of those weird paralyse attacks...
But when I think about it, it's pretty funny seeing murderers coming at you while you being unable to move...
Ah well, is there a way to change your poll entry?
tongue.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've had it several times; probably more than 10 but I wouldn't know exactly how many.
It's kind of frightening but nice at the same time.
unsure.gif
Sometimes I'm having a dream or I'm at the stage when I'm partly awake, so I'm still dreaming but I (should be) in at least some conscious control. Some of the earlier times I've been paralysed when I've been dreaming that I'm laying down and that there's something behind me that I need to turn towards otherwise something could happen, but I'm powerless to do so.

When I'm not dreaming about it though, and I just can't move it can be amusing and yet frustrating to try and get myself to move. Sometimes I just give up and try later.

And just reading through some of the other posts, I've slept on my arm before until it's gone completely numb. I love it when that happens.
rofl2.gif

The most recent time it happened (a few weeks ago, I think) I moved it around with my other arm a bit to get the feeling back, but either because I had no autonomous control over it or my proprioception for it wasn't working properly I ended up hitting myself in the mouth.
rofl.gif

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Nope! But I've experienced quite the opposite.

I was dreaming and it led to me trying to push myself off of the ground (cliché comeback animé style), and I woke up with my fist in the bed. I thought we became paralyzed in our sleeps?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
monkat said:
Nope! But I've experienced quite the opposite.

I was dreaming and it led to me trying to push myself off of the ground (cliché comeback animé style), and I woke up with my fist in the bed. I thought we became paralyzed in our sleeps?
We're usually paralysed, but it doesn't always work for some people (hence sleepwalking).

moon_wolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yes i had happened to me several times and my county people say than it happen when a gost is close to a person than are susceptible to them causing this and i think it is true because when it happen i begin to pray holly father and exactly when i finish i fell can move again and i am like wtf?? xD

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's happend to me quite a few times. It only really started when some one at a previous job, left leaving me as the IT engineer for the whole building. When I left 2 years later it pretty much stopped and only reoccurs for me during time of high stress.

The first time it happend to me tho was when I was about 13 and i remember waking up and not been able to move. I could look around the room fine but I could not for the life of me move a muscle. After about 30 second a huge green blob flew towards me which, to this day I can only discribe as Slimer from the ghostbusters. Well that prompted me to try and roll out of the way and I moved ( yay ) sadly I was quite close to the edge and rolled right out of my bed hitting my head on my night stand and adding a second scar to my forehead.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Woah... Sounds something really cool to experience!
I've always wanted to hallucinate without the need of taking illicit drugs
wink.gif

h0ser81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suffer from SP constantly. It started in my teens and continues to this day. I used to work in a call center on the graveyard shift and fell asleep in my chair there. I actually had a SP episode in my chair when my phone started to ring. I couldn't move or tell my coworkers what was going on so I missed the call. I also have more episodes when laying on my back rather than on my stomach too. I really need to go get a sleep study done but I keep putting it off. Five plus episodes per sleep cycle isn't unusual for me if I'm sleeping on my back.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I experienced it so many times, that I stopped panicking or caring when it happens. It's more like: Oh great, sleep paralysis again, just got to wait it out.
I remember reading somewhere that trying to wiggle your toe helps break out of it, but I tried it many times (sometimes I forget, sometimes I remember; weird isn't it?) and it never works.

Sleep paralysis is actually a bit scary, because there's always the chance that you can't breathe and just die. In fact, I believe many cases of people dying in their sleep were actually caused by sleep paralysis. Of course, it never lasts longer than 15 seconds for me.

Quanno said:
It's not that i can't, i'm just too lazy to move myself...
My thoughts exactly.
tongue.gif

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I kinda had it, I was fully conscious but couldn't move a bit.

If I had the hallucinations part, I'd die

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!