Hardware Has anyone tried to swap IPS LCD and TN LCD on New 3DS Regular (nonXL)?

avocado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am trying to install IPS LCD into a machine that originally has TN LCD.
I see there is a different in the flexible cable. see pics I attached.

first, I tried to change the bottom LCD only, it worked.
When I changed the top LCD, in this state, both top and bottom are IPS, the 3DS cannot turn on.

I put everything back to the original condition, and both machine works properly.

Attachments

• Top TN.png
    Top TN.png
    264.1 KB · Views: 416
  • Top IPS.png
    Top IPS.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 406
Reactions: yuyuyup

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
the top screens driver or pin on the board isn't the same, it won't work with top screen..., also IPS draws more power so you have to make it output more power, think of it like PSP screens some fit but no work because drivers are differnt

DoomsdayinjunJ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
14736921985201651540425.jpg
I made a North American black new nintendo 3ds out of a black European model with TN panels. I took the IPS screens and motherboard out of my pokemon edition. If all else fails swap dem boards. By the way, my black new 3ds looks awesome! I also swapped the TN screens for IPS and the board in the Super Famicom edition that's in the pic.

Last edited by DoomsdayinjunJ,

avocado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
View attachment 62500 I made a North American black new nintendo 3ds out of a black European model with TN panels. I took the IPS screens and motherboard out of my pokemon edition. If all else fails swap dem boards. By the way, my black new 3ds looks awesome! I also swapped the TN screens for IPS and the board in the Super Famicom edition that's in the pic.

yeah...it is awesome!!
that is what I am planning as well, changing the screens and the motherboard.

hey, just to make sure, so what you did was changing the motherboard also , right?
and you have never change the LCD screens (especially the top one) only?

DoomsdayinjunJ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah...it is awesome!!

hey, just to make sure, so what you did was changing the motherboard also , right?
yeah...it is awesome!!

I took the IPS screens and matching board from a white North American NTSC pokemon 20th anniversary edition and swapped them into a Black PAL European model with TN panels. Left me with a white pal version and a new black NTSC, I then carefully took my heat gun and swapped the serial numbers to keep them legit. Hardest part is the ribbons through the hole process in which I use a two inch piece of a drinking straw that is smaller than the ribbon hole so as to not tear the ribbons upon reentry. Also use two flat plastic spaders to pop off the top screen covers so you can swap them, start slowly in the corner. I would advise a dust-free environment for the top screen cover swap if the systems are white and black.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
View attachment 62500 I made a North American black new nintendo 3ds out of a black European model with TN panels. I took the IPS screens and motherboard out of my pokemon edition. If all else fails swap dem boards. By the way, my black new 3ds looks awesome! I also swapped the TN screens for IPS and the board in the Super Famicom edition that's in the pic.
Maigod this is beautiful! especially the SNES editions in the background hahaha.

Tyrant82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would love to switch my dual ips eur black nn3ds case with the Famicom one... any chance to order those things naked? :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1