Misc Has anyone attempted to abuse the Nintendo Zone streetpass relay?

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, here's my situation. See if you can get me to a set up that would at least THEORETICALLY work, and I'll work it out myself.

*I'm on a W7 64bit laptop.
*My wireless router doesn't support MAC cloning. :/
*I do have a USB wifi dongle. It has software that lets it be used as a Soft-AP. I believe I can set it up as attwifi with little to no problem (hopefully).
*I'm not sure if I can do MAC cloning on this Soft-AP, but since it is software based, maybe there's something I can use to that effect?

Thanks. Feel free to PM me directly for details or suggestions.

you can try Macshifter with your usb dongle/internal wireless adapter. But I noticed that with my usb card it doesn't want to work.
you could try booting a linux liveCD, connecting with your internal wireless to your router and using the USB for the softAP, or vice-versa, should work, but it's somewhat complicated if you've never used linux before.
That's assuming you even have an internal one, but you said laptop, so I assumed.
In my case I accidentally screwed up my internal card's antennae, so I just have my external card.

Reactions: ferofax

retrogradesnowcone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
running a hotspot on my android phone at 4E:53:50:4F:4F:46 with attwifi for the ssid, but haven't gotten a streetpass. any idea what i could be doing wrong / how long it might take?

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
running a hotspot on my android phone at 4E:53:50:4F:4F:46 with attwifi for the ssid, but haven't gotten a streetpass. any idea what i could be doing wrong / how long it might take?

try checking and seeing if that's the MAC that's actually broadcasting. The app has a habit of saying it worked even though that did not.
inSSIDer for windows can check that.. not sure of the alternatives for otherOSs

retrogradesnowcone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try checking and seeing if that's the MAC that's actually broadcasting. The app has a habit of saying it worked even though that did not.
inSSIDer for windows can check that.. not sure of the alternatives for otherOSs

what would cause this, other than not being rooted? i can confirm 100% that the phone is rooted.

i unfortunately can't actually easily check what mac is actually being broadcast since my windows pc doesn't have a wireless card

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
you can try Macshifter with your usb dongle/internal wireless adapter. But I noticed that with my usb card it doesn't want to work.
you could try booting a linux liveCD, connecting with your internal wireless to your router and using the USB for the softAP, or vice-versa, should work, but it's somewhat complicated if you've never used linux before.
That's assuming you even have an internal one, but you said laptop, so I assumed.

In my case I accidentally screwed up my internal card's antennae, so I just have my external card.

I'm pretty confident I made it work before, in the early days of messing with home-based Nintendo Zones. My laptop's wifi connects to router, the Soft-AP sets up ICS between the internal wifi and the USB wifi, and out comes the access point.

What's left is if I can manipulate the MAC address of that software access point.

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what would cause this, other than not being rooted? i can confirm 100% that the phone is rooted.

i unfortunately can't actually easily check what mac is actually being broadcast since my windows pc doesn't have a wireless card

I honestly couldn't tell you. you could try messing with all the settings in the app to see if one gets you streetpasses when others don't.
I ended up giving up on my phone for this because no matter what I tried the MAC wouldn't change.

ED: IIRC you can check your mac in android using a terminal emulator or an ssh/adb shell. try ifconfig or 'ip link'

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Here's how to check :
su
busybox ip link show

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm, so far I got masses of Plaza and AC hits, a couple MH3U and FE and even a few for KH3D. But none for Samurai Warrior Chronicles yet. :( Does nobody here have the game?

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
weird error on my laptop : mac string 4E:53:50:4F:4F:46 is not valid mac adress must blablabla

edit : mac adress has to be 4E53504F4F46 with no space or :

i must be dumb but to streetpass you have to close the 3ds after having it on sleep
but when i close it wifi stops

keyser3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
please tell me how to use macshift.i got it started. what am i writing to the comaand promt now?

- go to Netowkrs and Sharing
- click on Change adapter settings (top left)
- right click on your wireless adapter and choose Rename
- rename it to something simple like "Wireless" or "wlan"
- open a command prompt with admin rights
- go to macshift directory (or put this directory into your path)

macshift -i Wireless 4e53504f4f40

where 4e53504f4f40 is the MAC address

Reactions: ferofax

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
okay, I got everything set up properly (methinks). I got attwifi set up on the USB dongle, and it's got internet because the Nintendo Zone app can browse properly (I even got the access point MAC filter up, so it will only accept connections from my 3DS).

Problem is, I dunno if macshift is doing what it's supposed to do. I renamed the adapter set to attwifi as "attwifi" as well, and I'm pretty sure I nailed the macshift command with the MAC address (I was even starting to create shortcuts for the rest of the primes), but looking at ipconfig, it's still showing me the original physical address assigned to the USB wifi device. :/

Did I fuck up somewhere? And how do I know if macshift has actually properly reassigned a MAC address anyway?

i must be dumb but to streetpass you have to close the 3ds after having it on sleep but when i close it wifi stops
This is my problem. I can monitor the devices connecting to attwifi using the dongle's software, but as soon as I put the 3DS to sleep mode, the connection disappears from the list, which means my device disconnects.

ELITE BEAT AGENTS, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
okay, I got everything set up properly (methinks). I got attwifi set up on the USB dongle, and it's got internet because the Nintendo Zone app can browse properly (I even got the access point MAC filter up, so it will only accept connections from my 3DS).

Problem is, I dunno if macshift is doing what it's supposed to do. I renamed the adapter set to attwifi as "attwifi" as well, and I'm pretty sure I nailed the macshift command with the MAC address (I was even starting to create shortcuts for the rest of the primes), but looking at ipconfig, it's still showing me the original physical address assigned to the USB wifi device. :/

Did I fuck up somewhere? And how do I know if macshift has actually properly reassigned a MAC address anyway?

This is my problem. I can monitor the devices connecting to attwifi using the dongle's software, but as soon as I put the 3DS to sleep mode, the connection disappears from the list, which means my device disconnects.

ELITE BEAT AGENTS, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!
Not sure about the first part, which MAC did you try?
About sleep mode, that's correct. 3DS isn't connected all the time then, it only checks for stuff from time to time.

RedHero

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes it really depends on the phone and the android version you are running. Those are for my gnex 4.3 stock.
actually try an older version of wifi tether (not 4.3 experiemental) because if memory serves they changed some settings on 4.2 onwards which were not backwards compatible so look for an older wifi tether version.

Tried an older version, makes no difference (I think you messed up versions, btw). The MAC spoofing feature wasn't included until 3.3 something (maybe 3.2 pre2, but I couldn't find it in that one).

It seems that the Wi-Fi Driver Reload option messes things up (both of them). If I turn it off, then terminal shows the correct, spoofed MAC address. And my laptop and 3DS will also find also find my phone as a network. However, neither of them are able to connect with it. If I turn the Wi-Fi Driver Reload optin on (any of them), it doesn't show the spoofed MAC address while tethering (just 00:00:00:00:00:00) and my laptop and 3DS aren't able to find it.

Man, I wish that things would just work smoothly for me once... JUST ONCE. Seriously, it's like this every single time for pretty much everything -__-

I suppose I can still experiment a bit with my laptop and TMAC to see if I can figure out something for that.

EDIT: Also tried it with a MAC spoofing app called Mac Address Ghost. It does change the MAC temporarily, but the moment I start up the Android's build-in Wi-Fi tethering function, it changes back. I checked it with the terminal.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Not sure about the first part, which MAC did you try?
About sleep mode, that's correct. 3DS isn't connected all the time then, it only checks for stuff from time to time.

4E, as stated in the spreadsheet. The first of the 10 primes, in fact. But my main concern is, how do I know for a fact that macshift is actually changing the MAC address of that specific adapter? Because ipconfig doesn't reflect it. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday