Hacking Hardmod/Softmod Wii + Update 4.2U

hamneggs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey there fellas. New to this forum, but not my first time here!

So there are various things that I need to know, and it seems that searching for the answers online is MUCH harder than I expected. Therefore, I felt it easier just to create a topic and get answers straight from the experts! =]

First things first, is that I am not very familiar with many of the names of IOS's and such technical jargon like that. So it would be wonderful if you guys can simplify things for my noobishness. XP

Anyways, on the the actual help. So Monster Hunter Tri is coming out in a week of this post, and after doing some research, I discovered the possibility that in order to go online to play you have to be updated to 4.2U. This was at least the case for the demo, so the first question is, is the 4.2U system update required to play Monster Hunter Tri?

The Wii in question is hardmodded, and to what extent of softmod, I'm not totally sure. I can provide these details in a few days, but any information available is a GREAT help. I have read that hardmods are safe up to 3.4U, which was the latest at the time; but that's a full 0.8 patches ago. So is it still safe to update a hardmodded Wii to the latest patch, which is now 4.2U?

Many forums tell me that hardmods tend to be safer than softmods, since updates specifically target the softmods. Is this true or false? Depending on this answer, which hardmods and softmods are safe or dangerous updating to 4.2U? And what is the potential for bricking?

So let's assume that you DO need the 4.2U update to play Monster Hunter Tri, what would be the safest way to update to 4.2U with a hardmodded AND softmodded Wii and HOW will I go about doing that? Are the specific hacks to assist in updating to 4.2U to help minimize risk? I realize that the latest versions of HBC, BootMii, and DVDX work on 4.2U, but what about the other softmods?

Assuming the worst case scenario and the Wii bricks. I hear that an advantage that a hardmodded Wii has over a softmodded Wii is "brick fixing". I guess this is something along the lines of system restore. I believe BootMii lets you backup your Wii onto an SD card. Is this the same effect? If my wii bricks, how would I go about brick fixing it?

I think this is most of the info that I need, and it'll be a absolutely HUGE help for any contributions on this ordeal. I will be able to provide specifically what mods are in the Wii as soon as possible if requested.

Just a friendly reminder, I'm not very good with the technical talk and keeping it simple for me would be greatly appreciated. BUT I'M WILLING TO LEARN! =D

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL THE HELP GUYS!

hamneggs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
These actually do help out a LOT. It was a little overwhelming to take it all in at once, but it's probably a lot simpler than it seems. XD

Although each guide has you back-up your files, they didn't tell me what to DO with those files in case of bricking.

Thank you for directing me to these guides!

TheWarDragon

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hamneggs said:
Hey there fellas. New to this forum, but not my first time here!
Therefore, I felt it easier just to create a topic and get answers straight from the experts! =]

Wrong move! Read the rules they say search first before creating new topics

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess not...