nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
... like today when I was in the middle of working on my laptop when it made this absolutely terrible squealing noise, like a cat was being smooshed inside the chassis.

Fuckin' hard drive. There goes a lot of work, probably irretrievable, which really pisses me off. And I do back up too, just not yesterday

DAMMIT! Now I gotta go buy a new freakin' hard drive, and a new freakin' phone ...

aZnXrAvEr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait til laptops start using flash drives... like this one!:

http://apcmag.com/6839/toshiba_r500_worlds...lash_hard_drive

biggrin.gif

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That seems like spam to me, I dont know if he posted before and it was deleted but noone going by "theame07" posted here when i read this. Im also guessing you mean 'thegame07'. Which makes your post/ double post pointless.

On topic, Too bad about your HDD, but im sure the data can be retrieved, i read in a PC mag various tests they have done on hard drives after things happened to them, and they still managed to get the data back, things like being thrown in a lake, a house fire, etc.

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That seems like spam to me, I dont know if he posted before and it was deleted but noone going by "theame07" posted here when i read this. Im also guessing you mean 'thegame07'. Which makes your post/ double post pointless.

On topic, Too bad about your HDD, but im sure the data can be retrieved, i read in a PC mag various tests they have done on hard drives after things happened to them, and they still managed to get the data back, things like being thrown in a lake, a house fire, etc.

This is all true, amazing really. Things to keep in mind is that it is WAY expensive. It's usually cheaper to re-do all the data from scratch than have them retrieve it. Not only that but they often don't guarantee anything, which really is the whole point.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
anything with moving parts die out faster then non moving parts, then again my video card always die before anything else...

i have experienced bunch of dead hard drives, sometimes try giving it a light shock like a drop from 4-5 inch, sometimes it can revive a dieing/dead hard drive, whats the worse that can happen since its already broken.

now if you REALLY REALLY need data recovered you can buy a $500+ data recovery service or jerry rig one yourself. lets say you have tons of naked pictures of that chick from stargate, you know the Orici (aka Adria) droool. only problem is its costly and you have to be careful. i usually search ebay or look for the exact same model/version of the hard drive that died, then i open it up (open it up properly and not pry it open) then replace the disks very carefully with the working one, they say you should be in a clean room, but long as you dont throw a handful of dust onto the surface it will work. dont force anything open, also expect some bad sectors since sometimes it does ruin the surface.

when removing disk, theres screws on the center ring, and you also have to remove the aluminum rings. once you open it up and know how it went its a breeze to put it back together, only tricky part is the HD heads, usually you can move them to the side or some comes out.

oh BTW dont forget to get the magnet from the broken hard drive their extreamly strong rare earth type, i've tested it and you can acually open blockbuster dvd cases by placing 2 of them in the strategic location, also fun to play with.

nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If this drive is truly dead, I had thought of trying to find an identical model cheaply online and tearing them apart. I'll wear some cheap latex gloves or whatever to protect from oils and dirt on the skin, and just swap the actual disks over. Really, all I want is a 2MB folder in My Documents.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay