deanq4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I am trying to switch all my games to a 2.5" external drive from a 3.5". The main point being to allow the USB to power the drive and not require an outside power source. I set the drive up by formatting it and partitioning out 90% so that later I can run the covers from the other fat32 section. At first it worked and read that there were no games on the drive.

Then I copied a game using the tools for a PC. It seemed to fail after that. So I reformatted the drive and and installed just one game. It worked. I was able to load and play the game. I reset the system to try to load more games on and now it will not work. I have tried formatting the drive and everything.

The old external drive still works and the 2.5 appears to get power, but it times out after counting really slowly.

My goal is to get a setup that is easy to use for my wife, and she is not that technical.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you plugging both cables into the wii from the 2.5 drive?

One cable is for data and the other is for power.They should be marked.

Both cables will draw power but if your only plugging one in it might not be getting enough power.

deanq4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried it with both and with one, no different. I have tried using the main one in either USB and still no consistency.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so the usb loader just wont detect the new 2.5 inch drive?

Is it this one thats listed in your signature?
Transcend 320GB StoreJet 2.5 Classic/Mobile (TS320GSJ25C/TS320GSJ25M)

Its listed on the wiki as working.

Does it have a spindown issue though?Maybe its set to a really small amount of time and turning it off might fix the problem.

And if the loader isnt seeing the drive.How are you plugging the drive in?

Is it plugged into the wii and then both the wii and drive are powered on at the same time or are you turning on the wii and then plugging the drive in?

Try both of these methods i know some drives wont get detected unless they are plugged in after the wii has been powered on already.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just re read your original post.You said after installing one game it worked but after resetting the system and trying to load more games it wouldnt work.

Its because your using ciosRev13.Its a known bug with any version of rev13 that after playing 1 game the wii will freeze when trying to load a 2nd game.

You need to downgrade your cios to either Rev10 or Rev12 to fix that issue.

deanq4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
Just re read your original post.You said after installing one game it worked but after resetting the system and trying to load more games it wouldnt work.

Its because your using ciosRev13.Its a known bug with any version of rev13 that after playing 1 game the wii will freeze when trying to load a 2nd game.

You need to downgrade your cios to either Rev10 or Rev12 to fix that issue.

I thought that was solved by resetting the system? My other external does the same , but works if I reset it. It is hanging on the "mounting drive" part not the games themselves. (not sure if that matters) It counts really slow when it is hooked up, so it takes like 2 minutes to time out. The times it worked it picked up right away and the activity light was flashing

If I go back to Rev 12 will games like Ghostbusters still work?
Will give it a shot and see what happens, suppose it can't hurt.

I tried looking up for spin down issues, but have not found any listed. Is there a program that will work? It appears to have a samsung drive inside.

As for the when I plug it in, I have tried them all.

The drive is a TS320GSJ25M Transcend. I got it because it was reported to work well and had a good price level.

deanq4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much icpmattj, it seems to work on Rev 10

I found a few posts, since you suggested the issue was 13, that had the same issue. It appears to be working now. Will transfer the games from the other drive and see if I can still get it working.

Again, thank you, I now don't need to explain to my wife that I wasted $81 on a drive that didn't work.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No problem.

Ive been using rev12 without any issues and my 1tb drive is working just fine and its split so everything can run from the fat32 part of it with the rest being games.

deanq4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
No problem.

Ive been using rev12 without any issues and my 1tb drive is working just fine and its split so everything can run from the fat32 part of it with the rest being games.

I just reset the drive and will be doing that with about 5 gig to fat 32. not entirely sure haw to set that up, but I will look into it. I at least want to run the covers that way for more space. Hopefully it works.

thanks again

deanq4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like it works sometimes. Not sure what to do differently. It worked ok for a bit, then if you change games it acts like there is no drive connected. Other times it works fine.

Edit: It looks like when I let it sit for a minute after I turn it off (or reset) it works. I guess for now I will have to do that, will see if it keeps working. Hopefully Rev 14 will fix this issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill