1. FrankSinatra

OP FrankSinatra Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey, I wasn't sure whether this should go under Wii or Wii U, but put it here because the Wii U has some differences (such as requiring a Y-usb adapter for power). If it should go into Wii, lemme know.
    Anyway, I have the vWii on my Wii U softmodded, and I want to get a hard drive for my Wii games so I don't have to carry all my discs and cases with me when I take it other places. Are there any kind in particular that work or don't work? I'm thinking a portable drive, so I don't need a power cord, but I want to make sure I don't order one that won't work! Is USB 3 fine, or does it have to be 2? Do the type of USB cable (to the drive itself, of course the Wii U itself only has standard USB ports) matter? Does it support any capacity drive, or does it cap out at a certain size?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It's really a power issue. You'll have to have two separate hds for Wii U games and vWii games. Each will either need power on it's own, a powered USB hub or a Y cable (using 4 USB ports on the Wii U)

The USB ports on the Wii U are only USB 2.0 so if you do buy a USB 3.0 drive it will just run at USB 2.0 speeds. It will work though.

3. FrankSinatra

OP FrankSinatra Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok, thanks!
    Second question, that I should have also asked: Is it possible to use a USB flash drive instead of a HDD?

4. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Sure

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I have heard USB 3.0 drives have worse compatibility, but some USB 2.0 drives won't work as well. Most should work however.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - backups, drive,