Homebrew hard drive compatible with certain emulators

Richardarkless

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have a hard drive completely works, anyway I started to put roms on there so I can relive my child years

Anyway all the ones released by tantric (vbagx, snes, nes) and usbloaders detect the hard drive fine but the thing is wiisx, wii64 and genplus gx (only tried the revs released by fix94) dont pick up the hard drive at all

How do I go about fixing this problem

The hard drive in question is an internal hard drive (cant remember the brand) that has been enclosed in this enclosure http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-2-5-Hard-Dri...4136&sr=8-1

Richardarkless

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
nope still cant read the drive, I also double checked where it wants me to store the roms and its correct

what does wiisx, wii64 and gensplus do differently from tantrics emulators, could it be because tantrics is now using ios58 and wiisx, wii64 and genplus is still behind on the times and is using ios202 which is why its not working

Hasnt fix94 changed the ios for gensplus though to ios58

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
they do nothing different, and no emulator use IOS202 beside some unofficial mod of Wii64/WiiSX so no need to install that, really

USB compatibility is tied to libogc, recompile the source with libogc 1.8.4 and you get the same compatibility as snes9x,etc

I think that FIX94 recently recompiled those emu with the last version of libogc, you might have one of the older compiled version so check the link in his signature again

also, you should make sure you got a proper meta.xml file with those emus, you need the node (check the meta.xml file that comes with snes9xgx) so that IOS58 is being used when the emulator loads

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since homebrew channel now supports USB2.0 via official IOS58, Wiibrew.org has started removing any software that uses a cIOS for usb 2.0 (or cIOS for any reason...). So to stay on one of the biggest wii homebrew websites, all up to date software is migrating to IOS58.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know people are saying IOS58 is slower, but I wonder if it's actually slower or if it's just an immature SDK for it. Obviously a well documented cios that the source code is available is easier to code for than a close sourced official IOS... That said, the move to IOS58 is still early and the problem so far is more stability (read the snes9xgx google code page and you'll see problems with people's fat partitions being deleted for example).

As the library that uses ios58 improves so will speed... but it's too early to tell if it will be significantly slower than hermes ios it at all.

Wii64 team (same people as Wiisx) has never used any USB 2.0 support officially. They are like Team Twiizers and very much against any "warez" IOS. What you're 'quoting' is what the person who added USB 2.0 support by compiling his own version and releasing it. He said that currently ios 202 is faster than ios 58.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
QUOTE said:
Wii64 team (same people as Wiisx) has never used any USB 2.0 support officially.
well they should cos the damn wiisx and prob wii64 will only run right with usb 2 try running anything on wiisx without the usb 2 mod it's unbearable.

ringwurm1984

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have all those emulators working on a seagate expansion 1 tb you have to set the fat 32 partition as the first active primary partition. what i had to do is (i'm on win 7) right click on my computer, then on manage, storage, disk management. i had the same prob with a 500 gig so when i upgraded to the 1tb. i set up the first partition gb as fat 32 and marked it as primary. i don't have the source but i believe it was because emulators like gen plus, wiisx, etc check the first primary partition for your files and that's it but the others will explore the entire drive.

but idk i don't claim to be an expert just thought id share my experience, it may be some thing else like the brand of hdd i'm using or whatever but the info my help

and i my wii's are set up like this: 4.1u, cios38 rev 17, mios rev 5, darkcorp v1

Richardarkless

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ringwurm1984 said:
i have all those emulators working on a seagate expansion 1 tb you have to set the fat 32 partition as the first active primary partition. what i had to do is (i'm on win 7) right click on my computer, then on manage, storage, disk management. i had the same prob with a 500 gig so when i upgraded to the 1tb. i set up the first partition gb as fat 32 and marked it as primary. i don't have the source but i believe it was because emulators like gen plus, wiisx, etc check the first primary partition for your files and that's it but the others will explore the entire drive.

but idk i don't claim to be an expert just thought id share my experience, it may be some thing else like the brand of hdd i'm using or whatever but the info my help

and i my wii's are set up like this: 4.1u, cios38 rev 17, mios rev 5, darkcorp v1

Ok thanks, ive had a long day in uni so ill attempt this tomorrow as I got a day off
biggrin.gif

Richardarkless

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
just want to make a quick update

Ive figured out what the problem was thanks to Jacobeian, it was because there wasnt a option in the meta.xml

Anyway after this the unofficial genesis plus build that was made by fix94 picked up the hard drive fine but was still having problems with the official wii64 and wiisx but fix94 also recommended I use the ones built by matguitarist as they come with better usb 2.0 support

EDIT wiisx and wii64 can now detect my hard drive

Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me to solve this problem and believe I wouldnt have been able to solve this problem without the help of this great community

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head