Hard disk "wear level"?

Deleted member 598242

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I got a hard disk error, so I ran the "chkdsk" command and it says the wear level is at 12%. What does that mean?
It's an HP Laptop and I can still use it without noticing anything different about the performance.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From ontrack: Wear leveling is a technique that some SSD controllers use to increase the lifetime of the memory. The principle is simple: evenly distribute writing on all blocks of a SSD so they wear evenly. All cells receive the same number of writes, to avoid writing too often on the same blocks.

so its how long yuo got on your SSD

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
imo just do a backup of your important data once in a while.

if your harddrives dies it dies. then you can replace when the time comes.

I had my OS SSD die out of the blue on my desktop with no warning, fortunately I have weekly scheduled backups so there was minimal data loss.

The only drives I don’t have backed up are those where data loss is not important E.g. the drive with my Steam games installed.

Deleted member 598242

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Thanks for the input.
imo just do a backup of your important data once in a while.

if your harddrives dies it dies. then you can replace when the time comes.
I will do that - maybe it will last longer than expected, I don't know. I'm just scared of unscrewing my laptop and replacing the hard drive.

I had my OS SSD die out of the blue on my desktop with no warning, fortunately I have weekly scheduled backups so there was minimal data loss.

The only drives I don’t have backed up are those where data loss is not important E.g. the drive with my Steam games installed.
I didn't know that could happen... Good thing you backed it up.
I only backed up folders I find very important, instead of backing up everything on "C:" because it's too much storage and I don't think the other files such as important OS files matter to me. I'm not sure if it's a problem, but I wouldn't mind reinstalling an OS

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't know that could happen... Good thing you backed it up.
I only backed up folders I find very important, instead of backing up everything on "C:" because it's too much storage and I don't think the other files such as important OS files matter to me. I'm not sure if it's a problem, but I wouldn't mind reinstalling an OS

I have the space on my server and do incremental backups, so I just do full drive backups since it’s relatively quick and easy to restore.

If I was desperate I would just be backing up my ‘essential’ stuff like I do with my ’offsite’ backups.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the drive support saving the write amount, the theoretically remaining lifetime in hours of a SSD can be calculated by using SSD-Z and be shown by hovering over the POH value. Also the used cell typ and additional info of the drive are shown.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Full drive backups are the best and easiest way to backup drives.
Macrium reflect is a perfect utility to make backups with.

Should add that there is a free version for home use, the only catch is that it can only do full and not incremental/file backups without paying.

Still, a useful bit of software I’ve been using for years.

Deleted member 598242

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Ok, thanks again - the programs mentioned in this thread are very useful.
I checked the SMART-values. As expected, my hard drive is in a bad condition :'( The wear level is still at the same value: 88% was used and 12% are left.
If the drive support saving the write amount, the theoretically remaining lifetime in hours of a SSD can be calculated by using SSD-Z and be shown by hovering over the POH value. Also the used cell typ and additional info of the drive are shown.
Would that be where it says: "Unformatted: 21.712 hours"?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the drive supports it, there is a value given "Bytes written" in the main Windows left bottom. Then if you hover over the POH value there appears "Lifetime remaining" under "Unformatted".
1663350499371.png

EDIT: The time is given in 1.000 (1K) :)

Last edited by Sypherone,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: get a used series X?