Hard Bricked old 3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TheJohnson, Mar 19, 2017.

1. TheJohnson
    OP

TheJohnson Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    So I was doing a ctrtransfer in preparation to install A9LH. It said it had failed and gave me option to restore backup but my console was frozen I couldn't do anything after about 30 minutes of reading forum post and searching for a way to restore backup in this frozen state i came up with nothing and I had to shut it off since it clearly wasnt going to unfreeze. I was well aware it would be more than likely bricked and sure enough it is hard bricked. Thankfully ctrtransfer backs up nand. Now my question is do i have anyway of restoring old nand without a hardmod im capable of doing the hardmod i can solder decently i have modded other boards in the past but is there a way to do this without a hardmod. Thanks in advance.

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    What happens when you try to boot the console?

3. TheJohnson
    OP

TheJohnson Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    When i boot console both screens are black and i cant boot into recovery either

4. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Although i thought, if you've hard bricked you'd get the bootrom error screens?

5. TheJohnson
    OP

TheJohnson Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Im just getting 2 black screens so If i ddint hard brick not sure what i did... :blush:

6. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Gambia, The
    If you can't boot then the only way is to hardmod it. Fortunately you have a nand backup.

7. TheJohnson
    OP

TheJohnson Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Yes very fortunate that it backed up just before the ctrtransfer and then it failed not the blue light comes on but I don't get a wifi light or any other lights and both screens stay black

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I believe that only happens if the NAND is unreadable or both FIRM partitions are corrupted/fail signature checks (in other words in the bootrom)
    In this case the error occurs after the bootrom, either in FIRM as it tries to load a certain part of NAND but fails because it's corrupted, or at some point after that.

9. Starzcream

Starzcream Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2017
    United States
    Im in the same situation but my nand backup is corrupt...anyway to fix the ctr partition manually?

10. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    if a9lh is installed you might be able to do a ctrtransfer. MIGHT.

11. VictorMoreno015

VictorMoreno015 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Quick question. I know that it shows a black screen, but do your screens "light up"? Or is the only thing turning on your light? If your screens do light up but only have a black screen then its completely possible that it isn't bricked. All you need to do is take out your SD card and then turn your 3DS on. If it does boot up then put it back in and continue to install a9lh. If your screens do not light up then it is hard bricked and you have no choice but it get it hardmodded. However check, it never hurts to try.

12. TheJohnson
    OP

TheJohnson Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for the response and no the screens dont light up i have already tried removing sd card as well thanks for the suggestion though.