Handbrake

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Zetta_x, Dec 22, 2010.

Dec 22, 2010

Handbrake by Zetta_x at 8:02 AM (1,174 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Zetta_x
    OP

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Ok, I need the people who have used handbrake to help me with this.

I'm running:

Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit
    AMD Phenom II X4 945
    8 GB of RAM
    ATI Radeon 5400

So I was experimenting with handbrake and how to rip from a DVD and encode it as MP4 (or M4V I think).

I stuck the DVD in my bluray player, located the source ([​IMG]{Movie name here}), directed where to stick the MP4 (M4V) file and bam an average of 1fps an estimate of about 2 days (50 hours). It's using roughly about max of 10% of each processor and I messed with the CLI settings to use more but that did crap.

Any suggestions or I am I doomed to sticking with physical objects called DVD's to play my movies.

=====

Anyone else want to recommend a different ripper?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Do you have VLC installed? Yes this sounds odd, but Handbrake will use VLC's CSS libraries if you have VLC installed (they do this for legal reasons).

3. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the fast response! I do have VLC installed. I had it installed prior to installing handbrake but I'll make sure handbrake knows that VLC is installed [​IMG]

Edit: Yes, it has already configured the VLC path, but they rooted it to Program files and I have it installed in Program files (x86), let me try that alteration!

Edit Numero two: It has had a drastic performance increase but my fps is really unstable. Sometimes it jumps to 8fps then down to 2fps but its average is about 2fps in the same length of time. I let it run for about 5-8 minutes, does it take longer before it kicks in?

4. Rydian

United States
    Uninstall handbrake, then reinstall it and don't change any settings, see if that works.

EDIT: Other than the VLC location setting.

5. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Just got it reinstalled, I will let you know the test results. Maybe I should try a different DVD considering I just pulled a random DVD off my shelf (Super Troopers for the win) if this doesn't improve.

edit:

I'm supposed to be the one majoring in statistics and I made a claim that it was my computer causing the poor performance of handbrake based on one DVD. Popped in another DVD and getting about 65 fps yet super troopers still gives ~ 2fps. I'm happy!

Thanks [​IMG]

---

One last questions. I had an 11 minute file from the few minutes I did of that new DVD that was 400 MB, this was 1/10th of the total movie, am I going to be expecting 4gb rips?

6. Rydian

United States
    Depends on the video encoding/compression... which is too many variables for me to even bother attempting to list.

7. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Thanks [​IMG]

I have one last quick generic question. When ripping the DVD's it uses 100% of all 4 cpu's, sure I get 120 fps ripping, but do I have to worry about damaging my cpu's as long as my computer can cope with the heat?

8. Porobu

Member Porobu Gbatemps Shiny Latias

Spain
    No you dont have to worry and even if the computer overheats it will turn off itself

9. Rydian

United States
    Takes a bit because handbrake doesn't do a straight rip, it converts as well. If you want a straight rip you can use DVDDecryptor, but you will need something like VLC to play the VOB files (DVD format), and parts of the video may be split into multiple files depending on how the DVD is structured.

Yeah, modern computers are way better at coping with heat, first they'll underclock if they get too hot, then the system will just shut down if the heat is still too much to bear... but as long as you haven't modified the cooling system (such as the heatsink) or overclocked you'll be fine, the heatsink/fan processors come with are rated for their standard (max) operating frequency.

10. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the information. I was replacing a motherboard a few weeks ago and the new mother board would not mount the cpu cooling system properly. I was shocked to see within a few seconds the processor was pretty hot and the computer shut off without hesitation. It didn't take long to order another cooling system to replace it [​IMG]

That's pretty much all the questions I had, everything seems to be working just fine [​IMG]