Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically super Gameboy enhanced games are a mix of SNES hardware, Super Gameboy hardware, and Gameboy...

They function very technically different than Gameboy Color.

Including special borrders, extra sound effects, SNES music, sometimes graphical overlays, or full blown SNES games (Space Invaders had an entire SNES game built into the Gameboy Cart), special full color menus, and ingame artwork, and different color themes for levels..

Gameboy color is incompatible with Super Gameboy enhanced games, and Super Gameboy is not detected by Gameboy Color or Gameboy Advance.

It's a very special technical feat of SNES/GB technology blended to do some very unique things, that you won't find anywhere else.

It's better to think of Super Gameboy as its own unique 'console' released between classic Gameboy and Game Boy Color. But its own thing with hits own unique features, and technology, and is SNES only.

I already know that and I should have mentioned it and I never liked Super Game Boy when i was in 20's. Hate it and I prefer Game Boy Colour because it was felt like NES version.. Great colour. Thats why I dont consider Super Game Boy to be part of SNES Console and Mini at all.

I can't link to roms, but for those that search, there's a colorized hacked version of Super Mario Land (Gameboy) out
Works perfect

smbcolor.png

[EDIT]
Pokemon Red also has a color hack floating around

Dont like it. I had seen it before. I prefer NES version and Super Mario Bros DX better than this one. :)

flinto

Trophies
XP
Country
I already know that and I should have mentioned it and I never liked Super Game Boy when i was in 20's. Hate it and I prefer Game Boy Colour because it was felt like NES version.. Great colour. Thats why I dont consider Super Game Boy to be part of SNES Console and Mini at all.

Dont like it. I had seen it before. I prefer NES version and Super Mario DX better than this one. :)

Nes version of Super Mario Land?

Reactions: Baggins

wizball1973

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I have added some custom icons to my mini. But, they have the 1 or 2 player and save icon stuck at the bottom. Anyone know how I can remove this? - I assume its a config file but I cant locate it.

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gameboy color plays older Gameboy games with less color and less color options than Super Gameboy. There is no control over the colorization except for a few presets.

Ignoring those original Gameboy games, and then only focusing on Super Gameboy specific games, as these are the ones that have 'full color' modes. These are not compatible with Gameboy Color. So to play the most colorful version of the game you would have to play them on a super Gameboy. These games were made specifically for super Gameboy so the only way to play the game in the way it was intended was on Super Gameboy. This includes Donkey Kong 95 which had beautiful full color over world maps, and games like Space Invaders which had a proper SNES full color mode, as well as the games designed with better sound and music on the SNES.

These very few specific games are a very important part of the SNES history, aside to the Gameboy history.

As for Gameboy COlor games, there are not a lot of games for that generation, we can ignore the ones that were Gameboy color compatible but also had super Gameboy features for the most part. Since yes the Gameboy color version or "Gameboy Advance' mode GBC features were superior to what super Gameboy did. But very few Gameboy games are GBC enhanced.

Dont like it. I had seen it before. I prefer NES version and Super Mario Bros DX better than this one. :)

You do realize that Super Mario Land isn't a "version" or 'port' of Super Mario Bros for the NES< or the Super Mario Bros DX?

Super Mario Land is a stand alone 'sequel' to the Mario Franchise... It's actually part of its own series which spun off in Super Wario Land...

Super Mario Land has its own 'story', and it is the game that gave Mario Franchise Princess Daisy, which appears in later games such as Mario Sports titles.

Last edited by Baggins,

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrono Trigger, the Dr L retranslation? But I believe it changes the ROM to use the Ex HiROM extension, no? Tales of Phantasia uses it and doesn't run, has anyone tested this particular ROM hack?
In particular, this ROM hack http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3072/ it expands the game to 6 MB.

Only two games use 48 mbit ex HiROM, Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, and neither of them load.
I meant just cause it’s 48mb doesn’t mean It wouldn’t Work. Maybe that game you want won’t but in general the size is fine. Metal slug 3 is almost 80mb and it works.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

would like to know as well
Through retroarch you can change those settings. But it won’t work on original 21 unless you replace them and Have them use retroarch.

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The smallest SNES cartridge ever released:

I mean Super Mario Bros NES look better than this Game Boy version. However, it would be nice to have Super Mario Land 2 in Color. :)

I disagree, its like comparing apples and oranges... I thinmk both Super Mario NES, and Super Mario Land are both equally great in their own way, with very different specific challenges, and enemies differences. As well as physics mechanics...

I would love to see Super Mario Land added to Super Mario Maker as yet another builder mode, because it's unique feature sets, and enemies, and bosses.

If I had to choose a favorite Mario game, it would probably be Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World. Those are probably my two favorite modes on Super Mario Maker.

Anyone play Super Mario Run on IPhone? they recently released a new mode called Remix that has all these tunes form different Mario games including Super Mario Bros 2, and they even put in the Egyptian theme from Super Mario Land's first world! Great easter egg! You also get to unlock Dasiy in the game as a playable character!

Last edited by Baggins,

judebox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Someon can help me ?
I have installed retroarch 1.0 (without any extra cores) and i have added the "--retroarch" command line to some games.
When I launch these games I have an C7 error or I return back to the game selection...
Have I missed something ?
Thanks !

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gameboy color plays older Gameboy games with less color and less color options than Super Gameboy. There is no control over the colorization except for a few presets.

Ignoring those original Gameboy games, and then only focusing on Super Gameboy specific games, as these are the ones that have 'full color' modes. These are not compatible with Gameboy Color. So to play the most colorful version of the game you would have to play them on a super Gameboy. These games were made specifically for super Gameboy so the only way to play the game in the way it was intended was on Super Gameboy. This includes Donkey Kong 95 which had beautiful full color over world maps, and games like Space Invaders which had a proper SNES full color mode, as well as the games designed with better sound and music on the SNES.

These very few specific games are a very important part of the SNES history, aside to the Gameboy history.

As for Gameboy COlor games, there are not a lot of games for that generation, we can ignore the ones that were Gameboy color compatible but also had super Gameboy features for the most part. Since yes the Gameboy color version or "Gameboy Advance' mode GBC features were superior to what super Gameboy did. But very few Gameboy games are GBC enhanced.

You do realize that Super Mario Land isn't a "version" or 'port' of Super Mario Bros for the NES< or the Super Mario Bros DX?

Super Mario Land is a stand alone 'sequel' to the Mario Franchise... It's actually part of its own series which spun off in Super Wario Land...

Super Mario Land has its own 'story', and it is the game that gave Mario Franchise Princess Daisy, which appears in later games such as Mario Sports titles.

*FACEPALM*

I am saying that it would be nice and a wishful thinking thats all.

And I dont care about Super Game Boy anyway and I ignored it when it was released for SNES a long time ago. I am not going into it this year with SNES Classic Mini either. :)

Maurobr76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Someon can help me ?
I have installed retroarch 1.0 (without any extra cores) and i have added the "--retroarch" command line to some games.
When I launch these games I have an C7 error or I return back to the game selection...
Have I missed something ?
Thanks !

Before dashdash you need to have a empty space. So like...
” —retroarch”

If you have the cores installed this is the Only thing i can come up with.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I know there's video tutorials out, but i like the good old fashion way with txt and screenshots
(Less txt, more screenshots, i'm not a talkie guy with such stuff :P )

Really there should be a separate thread about Snes Mini tutorial/howto's, so whenever anybody ask, you can reffer to that thread
instead of repeating all tuto's in this Hakchi2 thread.

Snes Mini How To:
Folders

Here’s a little howto on having your roms sorted in folders on the Snes Mini.
This tutorial show how i like to do it, i’m not going into details of the other options.

What do i need?

- Latest version of Hakchi2
- Roms (Search around)
- Snes Mini (obvious)
- USB to Snes Mini Cable (descent 3th party cables that support data transffer also work perfect)

I’m not gonna go in detail on how to install Hakchi2 etc…

Let’s get started

Start Hakchi and add your games, once done and ready to transffer to your Snes Mini we are going to change a thing under settings: (See screenshot)

Go to Settings -> Page/Folder structure -> Custom – show Folder Manager every time
Then press “Synchronise selected games with S/NES Mini” and a popup window will tell you that all new games are in the “Unsorted” folder (See screenshot) Press “OK”

snesmini02.png
snesmini03.png

A new window will appear, in this window right click on “Root” and create a new folder. In my case i’m gonne make a new folder for hacked roms
(See screenshots) (Do this for every new folder you wish to create)

snesmini04.png
snesmini05.png

Now, we like to change the icon it shows on the screen by clicking on the big folder icon and select the one we want. I’m gonna go fort he Folder with H in it for Hacks

snesmini06.png

So All your new games you added are in the folder “Unsorted”, click on it to see the list of games

snesmini07.png

Now click on the games you like to move tot he new folder(s) you created, just Drag and drop them J

snesmini08.png
snesmini09.png

Do this for all the new added games, till the unsorted folder is empty (or if you like to leave some games in the unsorted folder for testing purpose etc…)
Now if you plan to use the unsorted folder, ignore next screenshot, but if you like the unsorted folder deleted, do so
Now press “OK” to continue to write everything tot he Snes Mini

snesmini10.png
snesmini11.png

Follow the onscreen steps and wait a little bit, give your computer some time to recognize the Snes Mini and it starts to write to it once regognized
(In the screenhost right bottom you can see my computer detected the Snes Mini and it starts to write, this is a 3th party tool)

snesmini12.png
snesmini13.png

snesmini14.png
snesmini15.png

Click ”OK” and power of your Snes Mini and disconnect it from your PC
Go to your TV and connect your Snes Mini and power it up

ENJOY Your Folders!!

IMG_20171014_162311519.jpg

IMG_20171014_161811624.jpg

IMG_20171014_161828412.jpg

IMG_20171014_162239536.jpg

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant just cause it’s 48mb doesn’t mean It wouldn’t Work. Maybe that game you want won’t but in general the size is fine. Metal slug 3 is almost 80mb and it works.

Through retroarch you can change those settings. But it won’t work on original 21 unless you replace them and Have them use retroarch.

I meant in Canoe, not in another emulator.

Don't they load with Retroarch?

I'd rather not use RA if I don't have to.

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it looks better, it's not the same game though.

I think in some ways the sprites look better, and more detailed than NES Super Mario Bros at least in detail end there are a lot more background details than you find in Super Mario Bros... Each area has a lot of variety in the geography and block textures, each looked completely different, and introduced very different platforming features, and blocks to deal with. It also includes, and some interesting platforms/moving rock jumping, spike traps (spike traps didn't exist in Super Mario Bros, and weren't added until SMB1) Not necessarily enemy sprites, which vary form very tiny enemies, to some larger enemies that are unique to the game and not seen anywhere else (but have pretty good detail for what they are). Some elements from the game were closer to "Donut blocks" form SMB3 as well, which offered a different style and level design.

I would definitely love to see its mechanics and art design added to Super Mario Maker 2. Maybe with an all new color mode..... or even a full color 2D or 3D remake of the game.

But the game is so mechanically different than SMB as well, with its SHMUP style levels... and its focus on hidden secrets like the elevator blocks. That is it probably the strangest Super Mario Experience in the entire Mario collection.

Super Mario Bros looks more colorful though.

Unless you judge it on Super Mario All-Stars versions now those had some beautiful backgrounds, and enhanced the levels, and blocks in the original SMB.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I am wrong.. I told my roommate that stores in Europe as much s here in America doesnt came with plastic wrap fo Super NES Classic MINI. Right?

My roommate saw on the youtube that Super Nintendo Mini Europe have plastic wrap so tight. And I saw it on the video. Confusion.

Why did they ship this brand new item didnt came with plastic wrap ?

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Maurobr76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Correct me if I am wrong.. I told my roommate that stores in Europe as much s here in America doesnt came with plastic wrap fo Super NES Classic MINI. Right?

My roommate saw on the youtube that Super Nintendo Mini Europe have plastic wrap so tight. And I saw it on the video. Confusion.

Why did they ship this brand new item didnt came with plastic wrap ?

No wraps here in Sweden on nes or snes mini.

Dms_85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any way to automatically make Box art all the same size? I find a lot of them are never perfectly the same and always different sizes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or a win4 things still sexy
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    having money does not mean everyone will just fork it over
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    everyone perceives value diffrently
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I buy cheap and whats useable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Twice out of the year I may get something that's $600
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    we all like nice things, sure, but I also want to keep money on the side
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd have the same mentality if money wasn't an object
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    having a warped sense can happen
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    reason i question myself, but not constantly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If I had Elon money sure I'd have a 20 bedroom home
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    if only that alone could make me happy, but nope
    :D
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    you'll only feel more empty after most of your urges go away like that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spam account tried getting $10 off me I'm like you didn't have it last week you'll be fine
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i get spam links all the time, even through steam
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    get same links from scammers posing as my steam friends
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know how to combat scammers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    traumatize them, send them a screamer vid first as a warning shot, then if that doesn't work, send them gore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just opened Amazon thinking it was my bank app may as well be
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i get those fake google , or fake steam mostly phishing for logins
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy your account for $10
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i sent one scam link i got to the other one
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    let them fight it out
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: let them fight it out