Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glupen64 on PC is fine, it just needs to be optimized on other hardware like the Snes Classic (maybe), but I personally don't see Nintendo writing a better N64 emulator.
They will have to do better than glupen. More than likely it will not be able to play the 20/30 games nintendo would choose. Glupen sucks.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They will have to do better than glupen. More than likely it will not be able to play the 20/30 games nintendo would choose. Glupen sucks.

Works fine on my end *shrug* especially with the GlideN64 plugin, but I digress. Anything would be better than the Wii U N64 emulator at this point.

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works fine on my end *shrug* especially with the GlideN64 plugin, but I digress. Anything would be better than the Wii U N64 emulator at this point.
Yes their are some plug ins that help for sure. But still nintendo will need to use new emulator. Just like they didn’t use snes9x

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I haven't used hakchi for a while, some things that I want to be clear on before I use it on my SNES.

Using an older version of hakchi from far earlier in the year, should do a fresh install?
Should I have two separate installs of Hakchi for NES and SNES, or does it have different profiles for both?
Since the SNES now has better SNES emulation, is there any advantage or reason to have SNES games on the NES?
Can the SNES emulator on the SNES be moved over to the NES?
Will any UI elements of the SNES be brought over to the NES? I have seen a lot of custom graphics for the NES UI.
If I decide to use the SNES for 16 bit games and the NES for 8 bit games, then were should I put TurboGrafx 16 games?

Snes OS in Mini NES Works Not at the Moment but they Work on it.

Mmh i Run in my Mini snes the Minis es and the Mini nes in Dual Boot.

The ui is simellar but i think Not that is good the snes ui in a NES.
The Most difference ist the Look.

Turbografx16?
Mini snes with retroarch^^

Hakchi? I would use 2 seperate portable hakchi Version.
because i can let the game list that i add without change everytime for the NES and the snes seperate.

Gesendet von meinem SD4930UR mit Tapatalk

Reactions: artemus3

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Random question about replacing a game:

So, I currently have the re-translated ROM of Breath of Fire 2, it's an excellent ROM hack and it works fine on Canoe, and the ROM hack does a one-time authenticity check. The assigned unique ID Hackchi gave it was CLV-U-XLZQN. Now, this leads to my second question, I have a slightly altered version of the ROM hack where I changed one byte value to force the game to not change battle themes, and loading SRM files before and after the byte change works fine, as only a music-related event flag is changed. If I swapped the original out with the altered ROM hack, would the same save slots and SRAM save work the same if I gave it the same CLV-U-XLZQN ID?

Summary: Swapping out Breath of Fire 2 re-translated with a slightly altered version with one difference (soundtrack event flag change), using the same ID, would that load up in Canoe fine? Is it possible to change the game/folder's ID once a ROM's been converted?

@PPlays @KMFDManic do either of you know if that would work? Swap the same copy of a game, but with one change to the game's code and/or rename the new BOF2 with the same ID as when it was assigned?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What games are negative impacted by the anti-epilepsy filters? As in, where the effect is noticeable and distracts from the game?

I read that in Earthbound, it's noticeable when you pull off a critical hit. Any others?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What games are negative impacted by the anti-epilepsy filters? As in, where the effect is noticeable and distracts from the game?

I read that in Earthbound, it's noticeable when you pull off a critical hit. Any others?

Secret of Mana, when the main protagonists is struck by an NPC, the cannon fire, are affected. Super Mario RPG, the Flame Wall is significantly duller.

Reactions: NESjimbo

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, so basically RPGs most of all. I guess I'm better off hiding those and re-adding the ROMs to bypass the filters. I'm already swapping out FF3/6.

I've already done that, the uncensored edition works perfectly, and the added dash feature by holding B is a nice touch :P I don't know if Chrono Trigger Dr. L's hack will work as it expands the ROM to 48 megabits.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will work at 48mb

Chrono Trigger, the Dr L retranslation? But I believe it changes the ROM to use the Ex HiROM extension, no? Tales of Phantasia uses it and doesn't run, has anyone tested this particular ROM hack?
In particular, this ROM hack http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3072/ it expands the game to 6 MB.

Are some games larger than 4MB having trouble loading?

Only two games use 48 mbit ex HiROM, Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, and neither of them load.

wigner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So uh, interesting finding today. Apparently not all romhacks will work with the save state tool. Tried out the SMWCentral 9th Annual Level Design Contest one on Canoe. While it otherwise works great, there are two issues with it. Loading from a save state glitches you into the level to and causes all sorts of weird things to happen. First couple of times it glitched me into a pipe, and when I walked out of it I fell through the ground and died. The final time, I tried to load a separate save state, and it was as if Mario stepped on a Switch in a Switch Palace, immediately ending the same level where I previously fell through the ground. The level completed and yellow boxes shot out from my character on the map screen. tldr the save state tool either saves or loads this data incorrectly.

Rewind also does not work on this game. It loads a frozen game and also corrupts/deletes your save data. Either way upon resetting Canoe loaded the game as if it were the first time I had played it.

However, save states work just fine with SMW2+ by Golden Yoshi. This has to be run using Retroarch even though its base game is Yoshi's Island. No idea why, but retroarch usage could be related to the save states working. More testing needed.

All this to say... Your Mileage May Vary(tm)

I started on 2.0.20.14 and have since upgraded to 2.0.21.42. I've added ~60 standard roms and ~20 translation/fan roms. Only ones that have never werked is SMW2+ by Golden Yoshi and 2+2. I tried left alone, and results in BSOD, retroarch command = C7 error. Wut is needed to run them?

RevRaven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not, someone way back in the thread said it booted up, but didn't get past the new game screen or something but maybe it works now? Chrono Triggered uncensored, maybe not.

I can confirm that Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes will boot and display the disclaimer scene, but it goes to black on the title screen (with music playing) and just sits there.

flinto

Trophies
XP
Country
Trying to use Retroarch to play Genesis games. Even made sure the modules were installed and working as I managed to get GBA games working but when trying to play games like Sonic 2, it just kicks me back to the home menu when I try to open it. The roms were in a .bin format which makes me wonder if I've just got a bad rom or I'm missing a step.
Bin files work edit command line to where it says bin/bin change it to bin/md right at the begining work fine

Last edited by flinto,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's a kid's vitamin now!