Hacking the E3 videos?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by atall, Jul 10, 2011.

Jul 10, 2011

Hacking the E3 videos? by atall at 7:45 PM (1,361 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. atall
    OP

Newcomer atall Newbie

Brazil
    Until a few days ago, it was possible to download trailers from the E3 in your 3DS (They seem to not be available anymore though), and you could keep them in your SD card as well.

I'm pretty sure these downloads are just video files (one video for each eye) with a bundled video player that works into outputting them in 3D for the 3DS.

Has anyone ever thought of the possibility of hacking these files and swapping the original videos for other videos, converted to that same specific format of the originals, which could then be played by the 3DS via main menu?
    This way we could actually play wide-screen/3D videos taken from files in the computer.

First a converting tool would be needed, and then some way to insert the video into the file... And since the DS checks to see if you are the original downloader, everyone would have to do it themselves.

Is that too absurd, or would it be possible in any way?

2. benno300

Member benno300 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I thought this isn't possible because the movie is stuck with one system you can't watch it on an other one.

3. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    The encryption key is still unknown.

No encryption key = No hacking

4. Naridar

Member Naridar Excelsior!

Hungary
    I might be wrong, but if we have the same video file from multiple systems (all encrypted with different keys of course) couldn't we reverse-engineer the keys?

5. urisma

Newcomer urisma Member

United States
    short answer: No.

Long answer: No. Encryption methods are designed so that no amount of known results can figure out the original key. In math you can say "here I have two knowns, coming from the same function. If I work backwards I can find out what the function is." (in simplest terms at least). Say for example, two solutions to a problem are 4 and -4. Well using a bit of simple reasoning we can find an equation that gives both those answers (x^2 = 16). You can't really do that with encryption. No amount of different hashes will help you reverse engineer the original private keys used for signing. You'd have to find a flaw in the signing process or use trillions of years to brute force the keys.

6. TCJJ

Member TCJJ GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I wish they'd just add a darn video player. I mean, you can already play MP4s perfectly fine in the 3DS Sound app but without video. WHY can you play video-less MP4s? It's pointless. They could at least allow MP4s to be viewable.

Still, video on the 3DS would be kind of lackluster. It looks much better on something such as an iPhone because of the higher resolution. I'm not saying it looks terrible, but it is worse than other devices of comparable size.

7. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    im sure they will release it when they release the camcorder ability

[​IMG]

why allow recording if you couldnt play?

8. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    O.o

...i jizzed a bit from that screen shot. i TOTALLY didn't know they have a video app coming up. I mean, sure, i want it, but i doubt it.