Hacking NFC chip on Amiibos

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by assassinz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. assassinz
    OP

assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

Mar 17, 2003
    United States
    The Internet
    I'm pissed off about not being able to buy the Amiibos I want to use in Smash Bros. because of limited availability and money-hungry scalpers.

Is it possible to hack or reprogram/replace the rfid chip on Amiibos? Or how about cloning the unique character data on the rfid chips from Amiibos and making our own rfid chips to use?

I found this link but haven't read through it fully.

http://www.developer.com/net/article.php/3628811/RFID-Programming-Made-Simple-and-Cheap.htm

Margen67 likes this.
  2. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    NFC is more complicated than RFID

Amiibo is not hacked as far as I know

3. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I think it's been done just not shared. There is a video on one of these threads of a non existent Amiibo being played in smash. I know I dont understand it.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  4. assassinz
    OP

assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

Mar 17, 2003
    United States
    The Internet
    Yeah, I forgot it's NFC. Either way, it should be hackable.

I hope more info about this surfaces soon.

5. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    The unreleased amiibo in smash thing was do from an emulated gamepad afaik. Doesn't have anything to do with real amiibos.
    The chip used on it isn't hacked (unlike some other cheap ones). Unless you have the keys you won't be able to read/write it.

6. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    At this point, I wouldn't be bothered too much. Their use in games is relatively small and all you get is Nintendo under your tail if you release something like that.
    I still hope there will be something available once Nintendo has ceased making those NFC chips so that content can be accessed without spending crazy amount of money on ebay.