Hacking Hackers suggest the Switch OS is similar to the 3DS OS

Zaiphon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
All i can say:

Do not update the Switch, until exploits are found.
I would love to see emulators running and homwbrew to read out the system infos like DSinfo etc.

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just thought i'd post this here since nintendo released the oss for the switch on their Japanese page https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/data/NintendoSwitch_OpenSources1.0.0.zip

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

since people are already disassembling the console and someone found out the emmc is on a detachable board
I'm pretty sure the console will have an exploit within the next few months, maybe sooner if you can get marcan to look at the code.

Last edited by Gabriel Mejia,

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
just thought i'd post this here since nintendo released the oss for the switch on their Japanese page https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/data/NintendoSwitch_OpenSources1.0.0.zip

since people are already disassembling the console and someone found out the emmc is on a detachable board
I'm pretty sure the console will have an exploit within the next few months, maybe sooner if you can get marcan to look at the code.
They are obligated to post the sources but that doesn't mean nothing. Also if someone were to hack it, it's not going to be someone who won't share exploits.

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are obligated to post the sources but that doesn't mean nothing. Also if someone were to hack it, it's not going to be someone who won't share exploits.
most likely marcan would share the exploits, just don't expect him to share the source for the exploits given how long it took for team twiizers to release the source for the homebrew channel.
on a side note i only posted the link for the oss since i didn't see anyone post a link for it yet. I just figured someone would take a look at the source if the link was posted here,
i didn't say anything about nintendo not being obligated to post the oss.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
most likely marcan would share the exploits, just don't expect him to share the source for the exploits given how long it took for team twiizers to release the source for the homebrew channel.
on a side note i only posted the link for the oss since i didn't see anyone post a link for it yet. I just figured someone would take a look at the source if the link was posted here,
i didn't say anything about nintendo not being obligated to post the oss.
I think you may have missed this tweet of his. Just no, he won't release any exploits.

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you may have missed this tweet of his. Just no, he won't release any exploits.
I didn't see that, i don't use twitter.
I've got a backup,
i sent a message to a friend of mine that knows coding and hacking/exploits and he's familiar with linux and other architectures and kernels, i should receive a reply within the next few days.

runetoonxx2

GBATemp's Cancer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
melee and sonic adventure 2 battle for switch 0-0 do i hear ulitmate portable
and maybe wifi melee gamecube vc with emulator 0-0 ultimate portableplz

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i had a look inside the oss zip file and looked in the src folder and i found two folders
one named NX-NXFP2-a32 and the other named NX-NXFP2-a64
both with a file named rocrt.AssemblyOffset.h
i also found two files in the src folder with a name ending in "aarch64.s" i also see two files ending in "arm.S"

my friend says it is likely hackable,
he also seems to think it's a unix operating system and the more i look at it the more i think it's running linux
based on a folder i found in \webkit\WebCore\platform named "linux",

here's some information regarding the consoles web browser https://gl.access-company.com/products/browser/netfrontbrowsernx-2/
i'll post more info when i can.

i suspect the console is running on an armv8 considering aarch64 is another name for armv8. i'm probably just repeating what others found out about the console, not entirely sure yet.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
For people thinking they will find Switch sourcecode in that file will be wrong. It will be just the opensource parts and where they point to in the Switch. That's about it. The OS itself won't be released.

EDIT: wow there is a lot of Unix code in there.

Last edited by linuxares,
Reactions: DayVeeBoi

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they're using open source linux they have to release the source for the os or they're breaking the terms of use.
From what I've read they are only using a few modules from it, iirc something with wireless capabilities. So they would only have to leave only the parts they use open source if I understand correctly. Too lazy to find sources so take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: linuxares

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If they're using open source linux they have to release the source for the os or they're breaking the terms of use.
Sort of, only the things they modify. It doesn't require them to release the full sourcecode, only the modified parts.

Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public? (#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic)

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

I mean, look at Android. It's Linux but a lot of parts (broadcoms drivers for example) are closed source, yet they work together.

Last edited by linuxares,

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone tried attaching one of these in place of the emmc on the switch? http://ameridroid.com/t/flash-storage
i don't know if the socket types are the same, they look similar
and the os on those chips also run on the armv8 like the switch,
maybe someone can dump one of the game cartridges and reverse engineer from there?

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if someone dumps a game and finds java then that should be a hint that it's running android or a similar os,
then again the games can be running different code
i wouldn't know since i haven't seen a dumped game.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Truth to be told, the PS3 and PSP both use XMB and the PSP can be hacked at any given firmware while the PS3 can only be hacked at 3.55

Nintendo could be following Sony's steps on this.

Gabriel Mejia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truth to be told, the PS3 and PSP both use XMB and the PSP can be hacked at any given firmware while the PS3 can only be hacked at 3.55

Nintendo could be following Sony's steps on this.

given nintendo's history i doubt it, nintendo is known for making consoles that can be exploited
and given that they put a sd card slot and usb type c port on the console
it isn't a matter of if it's going to be hacked, it's a matter of when.
it'll go along faster if someone sniffs the packets and ip while updating their console
since that'll tell us where the server is and someone can download the os update to their pc
and reverse engineer it from there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol