Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant mine lol; just check the first post. Might wanna reread this too:
Poryhack said:
OBTW you guys, I added separate patches for HG/SS, make sure you grab the right one for your game. The old one was SS-only.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My apologies everyone, for some unknown reason I cannot get a working HG patch. I guess I'm doing something differently/wrong than I did last night but I can't be bothered staying up any later to figure it out. I'll have another look tomorrow; for now this is SS only.

YayMii said:
I'm just wondering:
Are the overlays pretty much the same, in the sense that I can use the patched SS overlay file with HG?
Well no, it doesn't appear that way because the original patch (which was based off SS) didn't work on HG. I didn't try myself but I've had a few people report that and it kinda makes sense.

Kaarosu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.liquiddeath.com
XP
Country
United States
I figured I'd give it a try since Poryhack went to sleep, anyways from what I've tested this should work with HeartGold: ---
Anyone mind trying it out and seeing if it works for them as well? (Follow the instructions in the first post of course)

Edit:
Removed Link since it doesn't work like it should, Pory is working on a better patch since he figured out where we went wrong.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, the latest revision to the first post should put an end to this fiasco. So throw out your old patched file and redo the process described in the first post. I've gotta be more careful about testing in the future...

For anyone who cares, here's the deal. When I first did the hack I obviously did not have any patch to use so I just took out the overlay with CrystalTile, edited it, and put it back in. In an effort to make things a little easier for end users while still avoiding all the issues associated with trying to patch a ROM that has already had anti-anti-piracy and possibly translation patches I decided I would make a patch for just the overlay file.

The flaw in my logic was that the overlay was not the only thing that had changed. Had they not been compressed, it would have been, but since they were compressed they ended up being a different size after the edit and recompression. This is perfectly fixable and as a matter of fact CrystalTile does it automatically, but the method that I choose to describe in my guide was not CrystalTile (IMO it was easier than CrystalTile). As such, the necessary fixes were not made to accommodate for the change in size of the overlay files, resulting in the black screen that all of you and eventually I saw.

It took me several hours to realize this sadly. Isn't it always the dumb mistakes that you waste your day fixing? Seems that way for me. Anyway there was actually no changes required for the patches themselves (besides the fact that SS and HG require different patches, a different issue that I fixed last night), just the process to put them back into the ROM. I'm confident now that there should be no further issues assuming you follow the revised process in the first post.

I'd also like to partially blame the couple people that reported they got any patch applied using the method I originally posted working. That caused much second-guessing!
tongue.gif

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So my already-patched file won't work?

Why do I have to use CrystalTile? I already have a disassembled HG ROM made by ndstool. Why do I need to use CrystalTile?

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you followed my original steps to patch, then no it will get a black screen before it reaches the main menu. If you went the DIY way and actually changed the Js and Es yourself then you should be OK.

You need to use CrystalTile so it can update the sizes of the overlay files for you. You could do this manually in your unpacked ROM but it would take longer and I'm not gonna go into details about how.

If you want you can pack your edited ROM, use CrystalTile on it, then unpack it again. From then on you should be able to pack it normally and the changes made by CrystalTile will still apply.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Just wanted to note that DeSmuME 0.9.5 now allows GBA->NDS pokemon migration.

The migration process fails at the end (”Save failed” message is displayed when both GBA and NDS save files are being updated) because the emu doesn’t allow/support writting to the GBA save file yet (required to "delete" the migrated pokemon). But the pokemon data is actually transfered to the NDS save, just the save block receiving the pokemon on its Pal Park slots doesn't get "enabled" because of the GBA save error.

So you just need to hex edit the resulting NDS save to make the save block getting the migrated pokemon to be the “current” one (which means correcting the checksum just before the box data block, and duplicating the whole save block so there's no other one to load from
tongue.gif

Definitely not a procedure for everyone to follow, but I'm sure it will be useful for those who know what I'm talking about, like Poryhack.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're about the third person that's said that but I don't know what the problem is. I have no problem when following my own directions.

Export, patch, import, save. That's what I do.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is a more detailed description of the problem:
When I import the new overlay problem, the save button doesn't enable. When I exit CrystalTile2, it acknowledges that I imported the file, but it doesn't offer me to save.

I have no idea what the problem is. I'm running Windows 7 BTW.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally I would say tough luck, figure it out. But it does seem that several people have had problems (not helped by my own confusing antics), so I'll try and whip up something of the sort tonight.

My youtube account won't be so videoless. =D

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kazumi213 said:
Just wanted to note that DeSmuME 0.9.5 now allows GBA->NDS pokemon migration.

The migration process fails at the end (”Save failed” message is displayed when both GBA and NDS save files are being updated) because the emu doesn’t allow/support writting to the GBA save file yet (required to "delete" the migrated pokemon). But the pokemon data is actually transfered to the NDS save, just the save block receiving the pokemon on its Pal Park slots doesn't get "enabled" because of the GBA save error.

So you just need to hex edit the resulting NDS save to make the save block getting the migrated pokemon to be the “current” one (which means correcting the checksum just before the box data block, and duplicating the whole save block so there's no other one to load from
tongue.gif

Definitely not a procedure for everyone to follow, but I'm sure it will be useful for those who know what I'm talking about, like Poryhack.

Just downloaded the latest revision, compiled it, and tested this. The Pal Park feature working perfectly now.
smile.gif

*EDIT*

Ok, this is really weird, when ever I try to Pal Park again, I keep getting saved failed... I really don't know whats up with it, maybe it just really buggy or something.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poryhack said:
kazumi pretty much explained that in the post you quoted.

Kazumi said that it would fail at the end, but it worked for me, that is why I posted it. But then later I tried to pal park again and it kept failing. After trying to figure out what is wrong I was able to keep making it work. After a successful pal park, and you wish to pal park again, you need to open the gba game, resav the game because it will say the file is corrupted and previous file will be loaded, then you need to reset the gba rom linked, by selecting another rom, then going back to the game you pal park with.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohh, OK. My apologies.

Here's that video I promised; it's nothing special but I don't think you can legitimately say it's not working after seeing this. (For the record I turned of Aero to avoid lag while recording.)

I highly recommend viewing it on youtube so you can actually see what's going on. ;P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo