• Views 22,234
  • Replies 98
  • Likes 10

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
again guys , you're confusing the term "games that need firmware 7.0+" with "games with new protection". There are many games that need 7.0+ and don't have the new protection and are playable

Yeah I knew that, honest!!! ;) Its just the way he mentioned it I thought he was on about the the new 7.0x protection games only. I just thought everyone knew you could play out other 7.0x games on GW but not the new protection games.

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the by. The guy that said nintendo doesnt give the keys to devs is wrong in a way. Either they do give them the keys or the sdk has the keys built in and protected. Nintendo can change the system firmware needed but not what sdk the game was made on. How do you think we can player higher firmware games on a lower firmware? Pokemon and smash bros will almost assuredly work. One piece and yoshi as an example: these games require 7.x on a console with sysnand only. Ok so if you have to update your sysnand to 7.x to play why does gateway still work? Its because the game was developed on a lower sdk. The sdk firmware is what matters with gateway not the system firmware.

Pokemon and SSB are already being developed or probably close to done(maybe even done minus languages and bugs) and since nintendo just released 7.2 not long ago there are probably no higher sdk's out there. Since there isnt a higher software development kit, pokemon amd ssb have to be developed on the most current sdk or one only a little earlier.

Now im not 100 percent sure but i dont think you can just swap out sdk's in the middle of a game youve pretty much already made and given a release date for. Im sure you would have to recode and work out other bugs that werent there before. Most companies wont just throw away their progress to start fresh when something is pretty much done. All we have to do is hope they dont come out with a card3

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
By the by. The guy that said nintendo doesnt give the keys to devs is wrong. Nintendo can change the system firmware needed but not what sdk the game was made on. How do you think we can player higher firmware games on a lower firmware? Pokemon and smash bros will almost assuredly work. One piece and yoshi as an example: these games require 7.x on a console with sysnand only. Ok so if you have to update your sysnand to 7.x to play why does gateway still work? Its because the game was developed on a lower sdk. The sdk firmware is what matters with gateway not the system firmware.

Pokemon and SSB are already being developed or probably close to done(maybe even done minus languages and bugs) and since nintendo just released 7.2 not long ago there are probably no higher sdk's out there. Since there isnt a higher software development kit, pokemon amd ssb have to be developed on the most current sdk or one only a little earlier.

Now im not 100 percent sure but i dont think you can just swap out sdk's in the middle of a game youve pretty much already made and given a release date for. Im sure you would have to recode and work out other bugs that werent there before. Most companies wont just throw away their progress to start fresh when something is pretty much done.
Yes, but the SDK supports encryption, I highly doubt the key is hardcoded in there. That means they might be able to change the encryption key without changing the SDK as long as they update the system firmware to match. Also, as long as the new SDK has the same behavior for existing functions and does not remove any (ie it only adds new methods and things) there would be zero problems changing SDK mid-development.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
By the by. The guy that said nintendo doesnt give the keys to devs is wrong. Nintendo can change the system firmware needed but not what sdk the game was made on. How do you think we can player higher firmware games on a lower firmware? Pokemon and smash bros will almost assuredly work. One piece and yoshi as an example: these games require 7.x on a console with sysnand only. Ok so if you have to update your sysnand to 7.x to play why does gateway still work? Its because the game was developed on a lower sdk. The sdk firmware is what matters with gateway not the system firmware.

Now im not 100 percent sure but i dont think you can just swap out sdk's in the middle of a game youve pretty much already made and given a release date for. Im sure you would have to recode and work out other bugs that werent there before. Most companies wont just throw away their progress to start fresh when something is pretty much done.

Nintendo is the one's who encrypt the games not the developer. The sdk used is meaningless as the encryption isn't part of the sdk. If Nintendo want they could release a new firmware and make all new games use that new encryption, they seem to have been slow on the 7.x uptake but there's no reason they couldn't incorporate it into their lot checks.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert, but I would imagine a game could be developed on one SDK and then compiled on a newer SDK, but generally speaking I don't think companies like doing this just incase there was any changes in the SDK that will break anything....especially if it's right towards the end of development

And as always it is usually first party titles that will see any new SDK usage before it rolls out to third party devs, there no way of knowing if Nintendo have any new tricks already in the pipeline that haven't been played yet but now that 7.x encryption has been implemented I imagine they will be feeling more confident rolling out such methods more frequently if gateway manage to keep up with them......

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is the one's who encrypt the games not the developer. The sdk used is meaningless as the encryption isn't part of the sdk. If Nintendo want they could release a new firmware and make all new games use that new encryption, they seem to have been slow on the 7.x uptake but there's no reason they couldn't incorporate it into their lot checks.

Then how the hell can you play 7.x games on a 4.5 system? If they could just change it like that do you think we would be playing pokemon x or y? How the hell am i playing yoshis island? Nintendo knows about gateway. Everyone who knows aboit gateways knows that. You think they would really put out a game featuring a popular mario character that could easily be pirated if they could just change stuff at the wave of their hand? I mean hell they were confident with their card 2 being sufficient and it wasnt. Maybe at first it was but it didnt hold out too long

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Then how the hell can you play 7.x games on a 4.5 system? If they could just change it like that do you think we would be playing pokemon x or y? How the hell am i playing yoshis island? Nintendo knows about gateway. Everyone who knows aboit gateways knows that. You think they would really put out a game featuring a popular mario character that could easily be pirated if they could just change stuff at the wave of their hand?
Some games are still using the same encryption as when the 3ds launched, which is why they can be decrypted by a console on a old FW, 7.x encryption is a new encryption technique that is unavailable to older consoles.....hence the new issue

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok.... so just so i can understand. Say SSB is developed on sdk 7.1(or .2 whichever is the problem child). If it cant be changed to a higher sdk(say some kind of issue would arise) how would ninty be able to put a higher encryption on it? I know they have a way to make the game recognize what firmware your on to an extent. But if a lower keyed system cant read the higher encryption how the heck does a lower sdk software read a higher encryption?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok.... so just so i can understand. Say SSB is developed on sdk 7.1(or .2 whichever is the problem child). If it cant be changed to a higher sdk(say some kind of issue would arise) how would ninty be able to put a higher encryption on it? I know they have a way to make the game recognize what firmware your on to an extent. But if a lower keyed system cant read the higher encryption how the heck does a lower sdk software read a higher encryption?
The newer SDK simply supports encryption of the game data itself. They can change the keys used for the encryption if they want to without having to change the SDK, as long as they update the 3DS firmware to support these new keys as well. It wouldn't really be higher encryption, just the same encryption but with different keys, and for the SDK it wouldn't make a difference as the things that need to be done on that side are the exact same, just with one changed variable.
Again though this is just my understanding and I could be wrong about a few things.

Reactions: CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems solid enough to me. People just always mentioned the sdk amd encryption together so i thought they went hand in hand.

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well I asked them a few days ago about this.
I propose that they need to find a way to update from 4.5 to 7.x ofw.
Which means you still need 4.5.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I asked them a few days ago about this.
I propose that they need to find a way to update from 4.5 to 7.x ofw.
Which means you still need 4.5.

I doubt it will ever happen now m8ty. If it was going to be done it would of been done by now cause not much time is left anyway on the Handhelds life cycle so there would be no real point in doing it, unless of course an exploit is done way past the end of the 3DS's life cycle!

Aglae Pheryl

Trophies
XP
Country
France
For all we know, Big N does not give a damn about gateway users. They know pretty well Nintendo fans will buy the great stuff they make even if not right away, they will eventually buy legit. Some people will never buy legit stuff so why bother spending money chasing a few people. Common people are far from even knowing of such things existing at all. Most would not risk the eventuality of bricking their console or being called a thief. IMHO, Nintendo has better things to do and distributing newer dev kits has other means than just 'annoying' a few hackers.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it will ever happen now m8ty. If it was going to be done it would of been done by now cause not much time is left anyway on the Handhelds life cycle so there would be no real point in doing it, unless of course an exploit is done way past the end of the 3DS's life cycle!

Eh, we have a good 3 - 4 years left. We are roughly halfway through the cycle. I wouldn't say that is too late.

Herobroski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious... Recently, I launched Gateway Menu and it asked me to update the card, and so I did. Has anyone else gotten the same thing? The update didnt make any noticeable changes and it didnt fix the 7.x encryption.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality