Hacking GW.3dsx - black screen? Uh.

rsc-pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yesterday it booted 3 times without problems, but today I have black screen 4 times, before it loaded correctly (gw logo) .

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am under the impression that people black screening with GW.3dsx are trying to run it from within emunand.

GW.3dsx will not run if your firmware is higher than 9.2, and it will not run if you are in CFW even if your emunand is 9.2 or lower.
You must run it from within clean sysnand. Meaning, power on 3DS, use your preferred homebrew launcher entry point from sysnand to run homebrew launcher, then run GW.3dsx

CTRBootManager or other such boot managers can also be used to run GW.3dsx as long as it is running from clean sysnand mode. I have added an entry for GW Launcher in my CTRBootManager boot.cfg, and by holding L on power on, after the *hax debug screen, I am sent to CTRBootManager menu where I can run GW.3dsx just fine.
You could also rename GW.3dsx to boot.3dsx and replace homebrew launcher entirely.
So how do I get it to run via sysnand, if I cannot connect to the internet for some reason via sysnand?

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
So how do I get it to run via sysnand, if I cannot connect to the internet for some reason via sysnand?

If you use themehax/menuhax you don't need an internet connection after you've set it up. You only need an internet connection or some other way of launching homebrew to set it up the first time though (you could probably use the HB Launcher CIA and Pasta Mode as well) so that it can set up the themes right and insert the appropriate payload.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use themehax/menuhax you don't need an internet connection after you've set it up. You only need an internet connection or some other way of launching homebrew to set it up the first time though (you could probably use the HB Launcher CIA and Pasta Mode as well) so that it can set up the themes right and insert the appropriate payload.

And there's no way I can do any of this without an internet connection? - my 3DS won't find my access point for lord knows what reason... I can use the HB Launcher on emunand, but gw.3dsx apparently has to be used on sysnand, huh?

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
And there's no way I can do any of this without an internet connection? - my 3DS won't find my access point for lord knows what reason... I can use the HB Launcher on emunand, but gw.3dsx apparently has to be used on sysnand, huh?

You should be able to self host the payload on your phone, if you've got an Android using the Access Point. Otherwise you could use Ninjhax to booststrap if you've got Cubic Ninja. Otherwise I think you're kind of out of luck. Depending on what firmware you're on , it should be possible to install HBL to Sysnand (inject it into H&S , use that to install FBI proper, then use FBI to install HBL and from there install themehax) . I'm assuming you've got someway to launch rxtools offline though (you may be using Gateway emunand, in which case you should theoretically be able to use boot SysNAND in Gateway mode and use the FBI.3ds to install FBI to SysNAND (not on actual NAND but on the SD Card of SysNAND) and go from there).

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to self host the payload on your phone, if you've got an Android using the Access Point. Otherwise you could use Ninjhax to booststrap if you've got Cubic Ninja. Otherwise I think you're kind of out of luck. Depending on what firmware you're on , it should be possible to install HBL to Sysnand (inject it into H&S , use that to install FBI proper, then use FBI to install HBL and from there install themehax) . I'm assuming you've got someway to launch rxtools offline though (you may be using Gateway emunand, in which case you should theoretically be able to use boot SysNAND in Gateway mode and use the FBI.3ds to install FBI to SysNAND (not on actual NAND but on the SD Card of SysNAND) and go from there).
I don't know how to do that phone thing. I tried hotspotting... even using root-only apps, it won't let me haha.

I DO have cubic ninja. How do I do that?

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm afraid I don't know. I don't have Cubic Ninja myself, just know that its possible to launch HBL through it. Though it's possible you can't get the access you need to install themehax from it but that seems unlikely.

wiiuser2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yesterday it booted 3 times without problems, but today I have black screen 4 times, before it loaded correctly (gw logo) .

Do you use the homemenuhax and CtrBootManager? If yes, increase the timeout value in the boot.cfg file from 2 to something higher (4 works for me). This greatly improves the success rate of the autoboot into Gateway (on my O3DS)

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you use the homemenuhax and CtrBootManager? If yes, increase the timeout value in the boot.cfg file from 2 to something higher (4 works for me). This greatly improves the success rate of the autoboot into Gateway (on my O3DS)
So I connected to the internet for a SPLIT second. Enough time for me to get the QR code to scan. Okay... so I'm now at the homebrew channel menu. I got SO lucky.

So now how do I make it so when I boot my 3DS, it automatically boots to Gateway mode?:P

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if menuhax gets copied to emunand, then booting gateway/cfw via menuhax using type 2 config, no buttons pressed to activate, is difficult

you have to break menuhax in emunand by changing theme, then unlink the nands, then reinstall menuhax in sysnand how you like

Reactions: KennyWYL

KennyWYL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Unsure if you already did this, but you also need Launcher.dat on root in order for GW.3dsx to run properly

yes, i've already have launcher.dat on the root...just the boot rate were awfully low

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if menuhax gets copied to emunand, then booting gateway/cfw via menuhax using type 2 config, no buttons pressed to activate, is difficult

you have to break menuhax in emunand by changing theme, then unlink the nands, then reinstall menuhax in sysnand how you like

My emunand were unlink from the beginning. I'll try reinstall from scratch see what's the outcome...I'll update my result later here

Last edited by KennyWYL,

KennyWYL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

Thank you for your hints, reinstalled according your hints and boot rate improve!

Last edited by KennyWYL,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol