Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Restored topic, not really sure why it was closed... I read the rules and I can't find anything that would disallow this topic for the time being I'm going to open it again.

Have fun.

S

ScuberSteve

OP
Prophet said:
Good story, wasn't sure if I wanted to read it after I saw this was a ScuberSteve Production (The distinct scent of 4chan wafts off of him) but I'm glad I did.

I didn't write it, it was written by Chuck Palahniuk.
And Chuck Palahniuk is fucking awesome.

S

ScuberSteve

OP
From Wikipedia:

The book is best known for the short story "Guts", which had been published previous to the book in the March 2004 issue of Playboy magazine as well as on Palahniuk's website (Palahniuk offered to let them publish another story along with it, but the publishers found the second work too disturbing). It is a tale of violent accidents involving masturbation where the reader is told "to hold his breath" in the very first line.

While on his 2003 tour to promote his novel Diary, Palahniuk read "Guts" to his audiences. It was reported that over 35 people fainted while listening to the readings. On his tour to promote Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories in the summer of 2004, he read the story to audiences again, bringing the total amount of fainters up to 53, and later up to 60, while on tour to promote the softcover edition of Diary. The last fainting occurred on May 28, 2007, in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, where 5 people fainted, one of which occurred when a man was trying to leave the auditorium, which resulting in him falling and hitting his head on the door. Palahniuk is apparently not bothered by these incidents, which have not stopped fans from reading "Guts" or his other works.

In a September 2004 reading of "Guts" at Cooper Union in New York City, no listener admitted to fainting. When Palahniuk showed surprise, many members of the audience replied, "This is New York!" in a nod to the alleged inability to shock the city's denizens.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha Steve you finally made me read it.
rolleyes.gif

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ScuberSteve said:
Hiratai said:
The only thing that moved my stomach was the rod deal. Until I get some proof on that, I'm calling it bogus.

Dude, it's a work of fiction.

Ahem, also from Wkipedia:

Purportedly all three of these incidents are based on true stories. According to Palahniuk, the first two tales came from his friends' experiences and the third he heard while shadowing sexual addiction support groups as research for Choke. In one of these groups, he met an extremely thin man. When Palahniuk asked him how he stayed so thin, he told him "I had a massive bowel resectioning." When Palahniuk asked what he meant, he told him the story which was the basis for the third episode in "Guts".

S

ScuberSteve

OP
but the three people didn't all know eachother IRL =P

And as for the arab thing, can anyone confirm?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
EDITED

miruki said:
Did they faint because the story was too long to hold your breath the whole time? I would have if I had to hold my breath that long.
sleep.gif
What about the New York audience, then? Are you saying New York is so polluted that citizens are used to a zero-oxygen atmosphere, and can hold their breath longer than most?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo