Hacking Guide: WD Passport Spindown Fix

User423

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
So i just got a passport essential 250 gb today. and having problems with games freezing (mario kart, mario galaxy gh metallica) after about 1 min

Hehe, I think you have a USB-LAN Cable plugged in? That can be the problem.

brucelaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
boy2048 said:
QUOTE said:
So i just got a passport essential 250 gb today. and having problems with games freezing (mario kart, mario galaxy gh metallica) after about 1 min

Hehe, I think you have a USB-LAN Cable plugged in? That can be the problem.

Yes that was kinda the problem, i have been using one, it wasnt plugged in though. But deleting internet and wiiconnect settings, made it work, so im one happy passport owner now

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country
can somone please explain this spindown issue? what exaclty happens to WD passport drive and how can you test for it plz. i got lost after page 2

wheepenpen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
evvil said:
I have a 400GB WD Passport Essential that I picked up less then a week ago. I haven't had any of the issues some of you are reporting. I just finished the mario kart test twice, first for 20 min and again for over an hour to be sure. When I unpaused the game and finished the race it didn't crash, but it did hang for a second before going through the end of race sequence. I was able to continue playing the game just fine and ran another race to be sure.

I tested with a 320GB Passport and have similar results after half an hour... the game hangs for a couple seconds but is able to continue with no problems.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wheepenpen said:
evvil said:
I have a 400GB WD Passport Essential that I picked up less then a week ago. I haven't had any of the issues some of you are reporting. I just finished the mario kart test twice, first for 20 min and again for over an hour to be sure. When I unpaused the game and finished the race it didn't crash, but it did hang for a second before going through the end of race sequence. I was able to continue playing the game just fine and ran another race to be sure.

I tested with a 320GB Passport and have similar results after half an hour... the game hangs for a couple seconds but is able to continue with no problems.

Can you provide some info about your drive? What's the hardware rev?

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
wheepenpen said:
evvil said:

So we have a topic about how to fix a problem with the WD Passport Essential USB HDD which may not actually exist ?

I got a bit worried when I read the title of the thread, knowing that my new 320GB WD Passport drive is due to arrive tomorrow !!!

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AdamBrunt said:
wheepenpen said:
evvil said:

So we have a topic about how to fix a problem with the WD Passport Essential USB HDD which may not actually exist ?

I got a bit worried when I read the title of the thread, knowing that my new 320GB WD Passport drive is due to arrive tomorrow !!!

I see a thread about a WD Passport, not a WD Passport essentials, sir.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SonyUSA said:
AdamBrunt said:

The problem does exist with the "My Passport Essential" drive. The question is whether it affects ALL revs of the drive.

evvil

Trophies
XP
Country
SonyUSA said:
AdamBrunt said:
wheepenpen said:
evvil said:

What kind of WD Passport do you have then? They have the essentials (which is the cheapest) Elite, Studio, and for Mac, I don't think there is a plain passport (I could easily be wrong).

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought it a year or 2 ago, as far as I know it doesn't have a designation (Elite, Essentials), its a dual color green and white Passport.

I don't see my particular one on the website, they probably don't sell it anymore

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
hdhacker said:
The problem does exist with the "My Passport Essential" drive. The question is whether it affects ALL revs of the drive.

i'm gonna buy 320G next week... i hope ppls will tell their rev no
unsure.gif

56killer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tell me where to find my rev number and I will post it as my didn't crash on the mario kart test and left it 30 minutes just before ending the race it hang for a second and then continued.

576ZR673tf

> ** If you are getting crashing issues after a minute or so, be sure to delete your USB network adapter and network settings to fix it! **

Thanks a thousand times for this ! After hours of reading and testing, this simple thing solved the problem for me.

I'm so happy about that and this is so important to me (I couldn't find this information anywhere else before) that I'm gonna create a thread just for this to be easy to know to everybody who would be in the same situation.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
56killer said:
Tell me where to find my rev number and I will post it as my didn't crash on the mario kart test and left it 30 minutes just before ending the race it hang for a second and then continued.

Look for something called R/N: B7B with the serial number.

innercy said:
QUOTE(hdhacker @ Apr 8 2009, 11:22 PM) The problem does exist with the "My Passport Essential" drive. The question is whether it affects ALL revs of the drive.

i'm gonna buy 320G next week... i hope ppls will tell their rev no
unsure.gif

If you haven't purchased it yet, maybe you're better off getting a Seagate FreeAgent Go instead. It about the same price and the rumor is you can kill the shutdown from USB using a utility.

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
^i'm interested in wd passport white color cus it match my wii. i already have seagate freeagent as my external drive solely use for pc/work.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
innercy said:
^i'm interested in wd passport white color cus it match my wii. i already have seagate freeagent as my external drive solely use for pc/work.

I wanted the 500GB model. White wasn't an option despite the website claimed that it was.
frown.gif
I settled for silver. Did you try turning off the spindown on the Seagate?

wheepenpen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
wheepenpen said:
evvil said:

Can you provide some info about your drive? What's the hardware rev?

I'm using a Passport Essentials with R/N: B8B

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps5-m2sdd-quit-working-in-ps5.622567/page-2 guess I'm not the only...