Hacking Guide: WD Passport Spindown Fix

Shindig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone had to do this on a WD 250Gb Passport Essential 2.5" drive.
I am looking at buying one of these today, but want to be on the safe side.

Cypherdias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to use hdparm with my IDE drive I put into an external enclosure (took it out of the enclosure and connected to my PC directly). Set Spindown to 251 and disabled AAC by setting it to the highest value.

Didn't help with my "HotD: Overkill" issues though, still have those "dancing" zom... mutants. Seems it's just a bad dump, but I don't have another one currently. But maybe I got rid of my random Okami and SMG freezes, will try that out later.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cypherdias said:
I tried to use hdparm with my IDE drive I put into an external enclosure (took it out of the enclosure and connected to my PC directly). Set Spindown to 251 and disabled AAC by setting it to the highest value.

Didn't help with my "HotD: Overkill" issues though, still have those "dancing" zom... mutants. Seems it's just a bad dump, but I don't have another one currently. But maybe I got rid of my random Okami and SMG freezes, will try that out later.

Some drives may require the "-K 1" to be added to make the change permanent.

Shindig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
boy2048 said:
Shindig said:

I want to buy this drive too, please help!

I went and got one.
It works a treat.
Paritioned the drive, half and half.
Command line wbfs.exe , init the drive.

plugged it into Wii, turned on and loaded USB V1.1. Found it first time and I have xfered 10 Wii games onto it.

Very pleased with my purchase.

User423

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I went and got one.
It works a treat.

plugged it into Wii, turned on and loaded USB V1.1. Found it first time and I have xfered 10 Wii games onto it.

Yeah, nice, how many GB you have? I think I would buy a 320GB for ~110$. (In germany it´s 85€)

Cypherdias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
Cypherdias said:

Some drives may require the "-K 1" to be added to make the change permanent.
Just tried that. After that, played level 2 without any error, restarted the Wii, deleted the savegame, startet a new one and played through level 1 completely without errors too. Seems to be fixed for me though. So thank you (and you all) very much!
biggrin.gif

Scoobyscoobydoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Shindig said:

Got myself one of these on the £54 offer at the moment.

Tried the Mario Kart pause, left it for 20mins and it continued fine, no crashes at end of the level and continued playing fine.
I didnt format this drive with my PC, plugged it straight into the wii when i got it and did the format via the wii, havent partioned it for the PC at all.

Shindig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Scoobyscoobydoo said:
Shindig said:

Got myself one of these on the £54 offer at the moment.

Tried the Mario Kart pause, left it for 20mins and it continued fine, no crashes at end of the level and continued playing fine.
I didnt format this drive with my PC, plugged it straight into the wii when i got it and did the format via the wii, havent partioned it for the PC at all.

I think we got ourselves a nice little HD then sir!

Cypherdias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, as a conclusion (for me): My primary Wii HDD is a Samsung SP2514N IDE drive I put in an external enclosure. Most games ran quite well from the start, but others had issues like "dancing (and kind of disappearing) mutants" in Overkill and random crashes in Okami, Super Mario Galaxy and a few other.

After applying the spindown-setting as shown in the first post and fixing it with the -K 1 option, all of these seem to be gone. Played five levels of Overkill and an hour of Okami without any problems, freezes or crashes at all.

I think this is a nice hint for everyone who suffers from these kinds of errors. It may not fix them for all of us, but it's some kind of a good try.

What confuses me a little is, that I tried at least Overkill with three different HDD devices (Samsung + Enclosure, old IBM with the same enclosure, old IBM with USB-IDE/SATA adapter-cable and a Sandisk flash stick), with always getting dancing mutants. But after this hdparm "fix", everything runs perfectly (using the Samsung drive)? Some kind of weird. But I'm not complaining about it, since I finally got rid of that errors.
smile.gif

Thanks again.

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country
boy2048 said:
QUOTE said:
I went and got one.
It works a treat.

Yeah, nice, how many GB you have? I think I would buy a 320GB for ~110$. (In germany it´s 85€)

i have this drive arrivinf today. great to read it works fine
smile.gif

what is the wbfs command to init the drive plz?

jm9843

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
For the benefit of everyone who hasn't purchased an external drive for the Wii, can we confirm that the Seagate FreeAgent Go can have the spindown disabled without cracking the case?

http://freeagent.seagate.com/en-us/hard-dr...Free-Agent.html

It's about the same price as the WD, a hair smaller, and has a 5 year warranty vs. 3 year for the WD.

I confirmed through the documentation on Seagate's site that, yes, spin-down can be disabled completely on the FreeAgent Go in software.

So if you haven't purchased an external drive for the Wii yet, go for the Seagate. As hdhacker said, the enclosure is smaller and it has a better warranty. It seems to be on average around $10 cheaper than the WD too. The only disadvantage that I can find is that it doesn't come in "Wii White."
smile.gif

brucelaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So i just got a passport essential 250 gb today. and having problems with games freezing (mario kart, mario galaxy gh metallica) after about 1 min

I only use one usb for power, isnt that enough ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la