Not open for further replies.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this strait:

1- This is a tweaked custom firmware for the R4 that's based on the TopToy's firmware?
2- it will load commercial DS roms, but not homebrew like JenesisDS and SnemulDS?

I'd mostly use this if R4 discontinues it's product (likely) and I can't run a certain game. Does it have as good commercial DS compatibility as the official R4 firmware?

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
beve said:
thanks for the mirror
smile.gif

this would of been a help long ago (yesterday)

I'd hate to tell you this mate, but you're chasing your own tail!
If you weren't happy with the "gibberish" installation of "yesterday".....hold onto your hat, it's goin' to be a bumpy ride!
nyanya.gif

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
granville said:

1- This is a tweaked custom firmware for the R4 that's based on the TopToy's firmware?
2- it will load commercial DS roms, but not homebrew like JenesisDS and SnemulDS?

I'd mostly use this if R4 discontinues it's product (likely) and I can't run a certain game. Does it have as good commercial DS compatibility as the official R4 firmware?

1- It is a custom firmware for TTDS and ACEKARD, yasu is slowly adding compatability for other cards, currently R4DS is partly implemented.
2- ON R4DS it will only load commercial games, on TTDS and ACEKARD it will load homebrew also.

omgmog

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
omgmog.net
XP
Country
To the people posting that they think this is "useless" or "a waste of space", you're missing the point of this replacement firmware - and that is that it streamlines and integrates GBA/GB/NES/NDS booting all from one menu, with controls for rumble and expansion pack functionality all in the same menu, providing you have an ez3in1 card.

Using this firmware might not be your cup of tea, and it might not be the "end all solution" for most R4 users, but for me and for Spec2k it's doing a damn good job.

The instructions posted here are very easy to follow... If you guys were wondering about how it generates an r4patch.dat, you need to have the _DS_MENU.DAT and the TTMENU.DAT in the same location as the ttpatch, then when you run it, it will detect the R4 firmware, and make you an r4patch.dat.

@Spec2k - Really nice easy to follow guide, pretty much outlines the original steps I took to produce my "distribution" of YSmenu for the R4DS
yaynds.gif

@Valkyrs - Yeah that is the file I created/uploaded, but I'm going to have to ask that you remove it from your post as it has been brought to my attention by Swip that Yasu (the creator of YSmenu) doesn't like his files being redistributed.
ph34r.gif

Spec2K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow!

Lot's of reply's, thx for feedback. I'm surprised no one knows the power of this firmware, until omgmog posted why it is so worth it. I should of posted a link of my review before so people know why. So if it's not too late, I updated my first post with a review I posted in another topic so it basically tells you everything.

Also, like omgmog said, please remove any download links you have made of pre-packed version of the YSMenu. Follow my instructions and do it yourself, it's not that hard, because as omgmog stated before, Yasu, the creator of YSmenu, doesn't like any pre-packed version of his software floating around the net. From what I know from last time, Yasu said if he found any pre-apcked version of his software floating around the net he would automatically stop his english versions of his frimware, and that's somethuing I don't want to see in the future. So please, guys, lets just follow his simple demand and we may get something even better than what we have now from his YSMenu. The only way to post links of his programs are if you post a direct link to his site, that's all, he doesn't mind that.

Peace and thanks for reading, and I hope this clears up alot of things.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wow... This menu is actually pretty good. I used the one in Pendor's post. "Works" on the M3 Real too but I guess it's not really working because it won't boot any games because of unsupported DLDI. Still, I always wondered what YSMenu is like. I would have tried it out but I let my friend borrow my R4 on long term...

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omgmog said:
@Valkyrs - Yeah that is the file I created/uploaded, but I'm going to have to ask that you remove it from your post as it has been brought to my attention by Swip that Yasu (the creator of YSmenu) doesn't like his files being redistributed.
ph34r.gif
No problem, removing it now.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
granville said:

1- It is a custom firmware for TTDS and ACEKARD, yasu is slowly adding compatability for other cards, currently R4DS is partly implemented.
2- ON R4DS it will only load commercial games, on TTDS and ACEKARD it will load homebrew also.
I see. So once Yasu adds R4 support, I'll be able to do everything the official firmware does including homebrew? Since the R4 team is supposedly going the way of the dodo, this gives me some hope!
yaynds.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Followed the guide, my games seem to boot fine. However, using any cheats results in an error 'Open TTRESET.DAT error!'. Anyone else get this, is it simply because support for the r4 is still experimental?

Spec2K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GreyAlien, thx for the feedback... I have lookked into this, and I have figured why there is a error. There must be some command that has to recognise the deafult directory system of TTreset.dat or else there will be an error. So here's how to fix it.

All you have to do is change _SYSTEM_ folder back to TTMENU

I'll be updating this on my first post of this topic.
Thanks again.
biggrin.gif

Scathraax

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Hm..
I may throw this together for my other Kingston, to give it a go.

When homebrew is enabled in it, it's likely that I'll make a full switch.
biggrin.gif

[edit]
Looks very promising so far. And I love native emu/.gba support.
grog.gif

I wanna switch now, but I use quite a bit of homebrew almost daily, so it can wait.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Spec2K said:
GreyAlien, thx for the feedback... I have lookked into this, and I have figured why there is a error. There must be some command that has to recognise the deafult directory system of TTreset.dat or else there will be an error. So here's how to fix it.

All you have to do is change _SYSTEM_ folder back to TTMENU

Renaming the folder back fixed it for me. Thanks for looking into the error.
yaynds.gif

Spec2K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
np, the only problem I see here is the cheats seem to be in japanese.. hmm.. I dunno why, but they work.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Spec2K said:
np, the only problem I see here is the cheats seem to be in japanese.. hmm.. I dunno why, but they work.

Yup, cheats are in Japanese... You can get them in English if you replace them with the .dat file from Here

QUOTE(soujiroseta @ Jul 31 2008, 10:00 PM) with this process, can I download any future DSTT update and transfer it to the R4???
are there issues with the commercial games? have you guys found a game that has issues?

Found no further issues so far and I have been playing some of the newer releases. Unfortunately homebrew doesn't work yet, and loading a rom up initially does take slightly longer then the default loader.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I tried it I couldn't get FF IV to run
frown.gif
don't think FFTA2 worked for me either..... they work for anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: