Hacking Guide to: Converting PS1 games for PSP

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's illegal. There's no argument when the number of countries it's legal to ignore copyright and intellectual property laws in is minuscule.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. Sometimes, it doesn't make a sense. To my understanding, software piracy isn't theft then how is it illegal ? If I download a song from a server, then the original copy is intact and nothing has been lost. To put a different spin on it, if I light a candle, and you (without my consent) light another candle from my flame and run away, can I charge you with having stolen my light? Is that piracy? I don’t think so.

If I let my friend borrow a CD, and he likes a song, and copies onto his/her computer, by definition of today’s piracy, he/she is stealing the song from me. Should they be arrested as well? I don't think so either.

Of course, all software companies and music companies have the right to make it as difficult as possible for people to copy and run their software. Which brings me to my second point as to why I don’t consider piracy as theft. Nonsense. CREDIT GOES TO Bhagwad

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
RockmanForte said:
I don't know. Sometimes, it doesn't make a sense. To my understanding, software piracy isn't theft then how is it illegal ? If I download a song from a server, then the original copy is intact and nothing has been lost. To put a different spin on it, if I light a candle, and you (without my consent) light another candle from my flame and run away, can I charge you with having stolen my light? Is that piracy? I don’t think so.

If I let my friend borrow a CD, and he likes a song, and copies onto his/her computer, by definition of today’s piracy, he/she is stealing the song from me. Should they be arrested as well? I don't think so either.

Of course, all software companies and music companies have the right to make it as difficult as possible for people to copy and run their software. Which brings me to my second point as to why I don’t consider piracy as theft. Nonsense. CREDIT GOES TO Bhagwad
Ok here goes.

1. You're right its not theft but Theft isn't the only illegal thing in the world. This is copyright infringement. Its a different class of law altogether. Basic there's a license on the product that you bought, you are not allowed to copy it and/or distribute it. By using a downloading version of the software you've broken it by not being the original buyer of the material. You don't have any rights to the license and hence no right to the product. Your candle analogy does not make sense as somebody's already bought a candle. Its more like you have the only candle with a specific flame in the world and you are selling this candle, you have exclusive rights to distribute your exact type of candle. SOmebody buys a cnadle from you and somehow clones it exactly and starts distributing/selling them without your consent. They have no right to distribute your specific kind of candle so are breaking the law. (long winded but thats how your a candle analogy would really work)

2.You have a license for the music on the disk. WHen you bought it you agreed that you would not distribute its contents without consent (again). You can lend it to your friend but as soon as he has ripped the disk he's got a permanent copy without license. They've not stolen from you but from the people who have the rights to that song.

Copyright law is confusing as shit but piracy is still illegal. It isn't theft like those damned ads would have you believe but its still illegal. In this day and age there's not a lot we ACTUALLY own unless it is entirely physical. The only data we truly own is that which we create ourselves. Any other things such as programs or songs are merely licensed to us.

That said I, myself, have absolutely no qualms pirating older games that you cannot actually buy anymore. The original content maker no longer makes the content so even if you bought it (2nd hand) you're not giving them any money so there's no problem. THat said with services like the Virtual Console cropping up and companies re-releasing games for new platforms in digital form its harder to justify it like this. Blanket answer is still: Piracy is illegal though.

Anyway this is way off the topic of the thread (a thread possibly in need of updating?). I would just like to say that if there are updates that need to be made to this guide then people should feel free to make an updated one to replace this guide as a sticky. I haven't used my PSP in ages (in fact I'm trying to sell it) so I'm not the person to try and maintain this guide.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I know this is way off the topic. I will need a thread in need of updating, is there ? By the way, why does it continue to grow ? Someone dumped the game then someone else download it isn't illegal to me anyway. How is that possible ? To me, confusion and nonsense. Stupid law, it is.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
It's illegal in the US, where both of us seem to be located, but not everybody is which is why I stated it varies because it varies.

And what is right and what is legal do not always match. Laws are often fucked up.

Yeah, that's what I mean.... Laws are stupid for screwed up. I will never know.

Therefore, someone dumped it and allowed someone else to download this person's dumped games to me isn't illegal. Again, maybe laws are just often screwed up. Oh brother.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
Schlupi said:
So on a related topic... Does anybody have a CURRENT site for Popstation Image packs? All the classic sites I would get mine from are all dead... any help would be nice.
If you read the OP you get this

I did read it, but I missed this because I suck. XP

Thanks, Prowler_.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Whenever I try to convert Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 with this method (which has worked for me tens of times), I only get a 512 KB image in return. There are 3 Game ID's in the list and with all 3 they give me this corrupt image thingy. Anyone know what I have to do?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The Game IDs have no bearing on the actual conversion process. THey just affect the emulation settings in Pops.

So you put the ISO in, add you images then convert to only be fgreeted by a 512kb file at the end... Strange. Try one of the other modes without the theme preview (forgotten their names now)

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Jamstruth said:
The Game IDs have no bearing on the actual conversion process. THey just affect the emulation settings in Pops.

So you put the ISO in, add you images then convert to only be fgreeted by a 512kb file at the end... Strange. Try one of the other modes without the theme preview (forgotten their names now)
Amazingly that worked
yaypsp.gif

I picked Classic and it worked! Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?