Guide(s) for optimizing individual ISOs?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by SifJar, Jan 13, 2012.

Jan 13, 2012
  1. SifJar
    OP

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I've been ripping my UMDs to ISOs and using UMD Gen to try and get the file sizes down a bit, but pretty much all I've been able to do in most is delete the Update. And I deleted the extra languages in one. But I feel there's bound to be more I can do, because the file sizes are still pretty big. I have heard using CSOs is not recommended, so I have kept them all as ISOs. But is there somewhere I can find lists of what files I can remove/dummy from specific games to decrease their file size?

2. Sinistral89

Member Sinistral89 GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/317112-how-to-play-psp-isos-the-proper-way/

Maybe some of the info you are looking for is in here?

3. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    being a cso isn't a big deal for most games as long as you stick to the lowest compression setting. the difference between the lowest compression setting and the highest is usually only between 1 and 15MB which isn't worth it.

you might try googling pspripkits (as it's written there)
    that forum has a ton of info on ripping and reencoding audio/video files. the members there are also very helpful and very friendly so don't be afraid to ask questions

4. SifJar
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks guys :)

5. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Ultimately you're in for a great deal more work than you'd like if you really want to squeeze them down in size - downsampling audio and video (rather than deleting/relinking) can reduce the total sizes admirably but sometimes you have to ask yourself whether the degradation is worth it and whether it effects your enjoyment of a game. Why not try compressing to CSO but leaving the AV components uncompressed (CISO+)

6. SifJar
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've decided I'll probably just leave my games as they are. I have all the ones I actually play ripped and still have room for some music and videos, so I'm happy enough as it is. I have a few other UMDs, but I never really play them so I've decided there's no point wasting time reducing the sizes of them all just to fit them on my MS for the sake of it. Thanks for the advice though, I may try that if I ever get any more UMDs.