[GUIDE] Fuseless firmware update.

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by scyllahydre, Oct 9, 2018.

1. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
    Complete guide Fuseless Update.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:

Gbatemp community or me IS NOT responsible if you BRICK your console or EVEN if you are banned. We still don't know if Nintendo will ban consoles having executed any custom code, and as you know, things are moving fast.

You will need a dumped firmware, and there will be no link here for that. The firmware you want to install has to be an official one not a leaked one (Like 6.0.0-4.0), be careful. The A4-A5 Section will help you to dump your own.

This tutorial to restore your dump restore also your save and isn't always safe to operate, ask someone who knows if you went ouf of boundaries of it.

This tutorial will make you install AutoRCM which force you to be able to load a payload for booting your switch from power OFF state.

Introduction

Purpose:

This tutorial will teach you how to use Hekate, backup/restore Nand and how to update your switch without burning fuses to play Online and keep the possibility to downgrade, FROM SCRATCH AND FOR NEWBIES.

Another, more exhaustive and more complicated tutorial exists >> here << made by @rajkosto , many thanks to him and to all the devs around switch hacking. His tutorial covers this whole tutorial but is a bit outdated. The goal here is to have a total noob friendly tutorial that we can use from scratch and that will bring you to a full updated Switch that you can play Online while still being able to downgrade.

If you have errors, you may want to look that link, at the whole Switch forum or even ask!

If you have SX OS, you may want to not follow this tutorial at all as I don't have one and I don't know about it!

I'm sorry but I may add, this thread will not support SX OS. The goal of this thread is to do that the more Open Source way. Having someone executing code against your hardware IS NOT nice.

One of the goal of this tutorial is to get people to understand what Switch hacking is about and not spreading knowledge about people hiding their code.

You shouldn't use SX OS as it is not required, and if you want things faster, go out there on wikis and git reporsitories there is TONS of infos and nice things to do with you Switches!

Requirements:

1) A Switch.
    Hardware compatibility: Check here.
    Firmware compatibility: Potentially all, search for people who have already tested if not sure. I will try to test them. (tested from a stock 3.0.0 to 6.0.0 and a stock 4.0.1 to 6.0.0/6.0.1)

2) USB-A to USB-C cable.

2) A MicroSD card (I recommend 64GB to make sure your nand fit)

3) An other MicroSD card (1 GB is okay) if your original firmware is non-exFAT (it means you have the "Unable to access SDcard" prompt when trying to read exFAT card on your switch)
    NOTE: If you don't have a second MicroSD, you may want to check A3) Section.
    4) A MicroSD card reader on your computer

5) A Windows computer (sorry, Linux later, MacOs never from me)

6) I highly recommend to have fight mode ON, automatic system update disabled and report disabled before beginning this guide. The state of your switch before this tutorial will be the state of your switch after restoring. So I recommend setting up your switch like that to avoid any accidental update.

7) A lot of patience, some coffee/tea

Downloads:

1) Archive with content for your SDcardV3

Archive's content

2) Archive with content for your windows PC V2

Archive's content

NOTE: archives' password is "RajIsAwesome" without the quotes.

Where to start:

If you never did a backup go to P) then Step I).

If you ever did a backup (DON'T SKIP IT!!!) and you never executed any unofficial code since your last restore to a clean nand then go to Step II).

If you ever did a backup (DON'T SKIP IT!!!) and you ever executed any unofficial code since your last restore to a clean nand then go to Step AI) then Step II).

About Step A1): If you stay in the bounds of this tutorial, I know you can restore as you want, but if you did other things, check with someone that knows!!!

P) Prepare your SD card(s) and your windows folder.

Detailed steps

I) Use Hekate and Backup your NAND (MANDATORY).

Detailed steps

II) Use ChoixduJourNX and Update your Switch Firmware.

Detailed steps

A1) Restoring your Nand.

Detailed steps

A2) Do the loop.

Detailed steps

A3) FAT32/ExFAT, 2 MicroSDcards, some knowledge about how it works.

Detailed steps

A4) Dumping your BIS keys (needed only once).

Detailed steps

A5) Using your keys, memloader and HacDiskMount to dump your downloaded update.

Detailed steps

Conclusion

Future update(s)

* things as I find time.

Thanks To:

* @rajkosto for his cool exhaustive tutorial and his dedication to the scene.
    * Devs around cfws, SDFiles, and Switch hacking in general.
    * All users from both @rajkosto 's threads who explained lot of stuff about switch hacking.
    * All developers creating tools to make those operation easier.
    * All people that have been waiting silently and patiently for a good exploit on Switch without complaining (That's my personnal add, because they need to be thanked).
    * DarckCrystale for the template of this post.

Changelog

22/10/2018: make SDFilesV3 to add an option to prevent GC access on cfw.
    10/10/2018: Add Section A4 and A5 to dump your keys and dump your own updates, and updated archives with V2.

10/10/2018: Add forgotten archives' password in 'Downloads' section. Add section A3) for 1 MicroSD setup. Tested on 6.0.1

09/10/2018: Original post.

NOTE: the changelog date format is dd/mm/yyyy.

Last edited by scyllahydre, Oct 22, 2018
    heyd_s, klear and cvskid like this.
  2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Why only guide users towards using Atmosphere with ChoiDujourNX? This seems to imply that its the only one compatible which is not the case. Both ReiNX and SX OS V2.0+ support ChoiDujourNX, both of which are easier to configure and setup on the SD card than Atmosphere.

mendezagus and Ericthegreat like this.
  3. Lunalik

Lunalik A Person That Exists

Mar 27, 2017
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    Cool, very useful for many.

4. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
    @Draxzelex lack of infos and lack of time I would say. I'll try to complete it, bring detailed steps and I'll integrate it and obviously add you to the credits. I would like too, to keep SX OS out of there, it is not needed and has malware code, I can't support that.

@Lunalik Thank you :P

Last edited by scyllahydre, Oct 9, 2018
  5. Don Jon

Don Jon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2015
    United States
    no info on method if my firmware does not have exfat support

6. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
    @Don Jon The tutorial consider that, as it has been tested on a non-exFAT original FW. So, read around, there's even a piece of the tutorial to format big SDcard in FAT32 ;P

7. shremi

shremi Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2016
    Mexico
    I am trying to exctract the files and it is asking me for a password

8. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
  9. Don Jon

Nov 20, 2015
    United States
    im sorry
    i meant there is no info on how to back up a 64gb NAND, when sd card only has access for 32gb(because current firmware does not have ex support)

10. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
    @Don Jon It doesn't work like that. For backup you are forced to use exFAT. You can't have a 32Go file on a FAT32 card.

Hekate act at the Bootloader level of the console and it doesn't require any driver to work with exFAT even if your Horizon OS (so the Switch's firmware) doesn't have exFAT support.

You have to backup you Nand with an exFAT card even on non-exFAT system.

So let me put that short, if you are non-exFAT user:
    If you have 2 MicroSDcards, then use the big one as exFAT and the small one as FAT32
    You prepare both MicroSDcards with the same archive and add your update in the (FAT32)sd:/stock_FW_update/ (Step P)
    First you backup (Step I) with the exFAT one
    Then you use ChoixdujourNX (Step II) with the FAT32 one​
    If you have only 1 MicroSDcard, then use it as exFAT first
    You prepare this MicroSDcard with the same archive (Step P)1)
    First you backup (Step I) with your only SDcard as exFAT
    Then you put that MicroSDcard back in your computer to backup your nand backups (still make sense?) (end of Step I)
    Format it as FAT32 with Step P)3) [non-exFAT users]
    You re-prepare this MicroSDcard with the same archive and add your update in the (FAT32)sd:/stock_FW_update/ (end of Step P)3) [non-exFAT users])
    Finally you use ChoixdujourNX (Step II) with the same and only card but as FAT32

That's where 2 MicroSDcards comes handy, because if you have to restore you will loose exFAT from you OS but you will need your exFAT card for restoring your nand. which means you will have to format 2 times your MicroSDcard per restore, while if you have a old but functionnal and STABLE 1GB microSD to load your firmware in FAT32 it's way enough as the update is 300MB~

Last edited by scyllahydre, Oct 10, 2018
    klear and Don Jon like this.
  11. Don Jon

Nov 20, 2015
    United States
    Thank you sir for clearing that up

12. heyd_s

heyd_s Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2018
    United Kingdom
    once the update is finished which option should i choose under launch if i plan to go online (ofw or atmos cfw)? thanks

Last edited by heyd_s, Oct 20, 2018
  13. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
    @heyd_s You launch stock preventGCUpdate for ofw/online.
    And launch AtmoHB for cfw. But BECAREFUL you don't have EmuNand (which's tutorial will be available soon after EmuNand itself is ready) and if you edit your nand while on cfw (so with 90DNS or Flight ON to avoid poking Nintendo's servers), you HAVE TO restore your nand before going back on Nintendo's online to prevent being banned. I would wait for EmuNand if I were you, as it will be way more safer (but still risky since you use RCM and it could be detected).

14. heyd_s

heyd_s Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2018
    United Kingdom
    think i screwed myself, i did the inital configuration with atmos, and then change to boot from stock
    if i choose to launch stock preventGCUpdate will i still be able to play gamecards that require higher firmwares?

Last edited by heyd_s, Oct 21, 2018
  15. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
    It avoids you gamecart port to be updated but also accessed, and I think it prevents you to use it. (I don't have any physical games to test it)
    I edited the ini file so you can preventGC access on cfw either. I don't know what the GCUpdate does, beside updating gamecart port's firmware, I should get infos on that.

16. takeitfish

takeitfish Member

Newcomer
    Thursday
    Australia
    But how do you get the firmware???