OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This is a forwarder based on LibWiiGui. It runs at 0x81000000 which seems to be the least impact to other apps. Also you can launch games from DVD from within.

The graphics need some spit and polish, but sadly the size of the images cannot get any larger or it will interupt the DVD memory space and crash. So for now this is what i have. If anyone has the ability to make decent graphics and very small in size maybe you can help me.

So yeah this is currently setup to show 5 customizable dols you can boot and has a dvd launch button.

The dols to boot can be setup in a file SD:/apps/dash.conf or can be changed in the gui itself (once changed and OK is hit it's saved).

I test mplayer and it works, i tested the GUI usb loader by Dimok and crew and tested the CoverFlow USB loader. Tested wad manager and any region changer as well. planning on testing others, but maybe you can help.

Also planning on trying to add the option to load installed channels.. we shall see..

I have a googlecode site (easier for me to work from multiple locations) dashreplace.googlecode.com
I have a working dol done and obviously the source. The DVD boot portion is from crediar. I got it from WiiMu. ALso using tantrics LibWiiGui.

Let me know what you think. I am making it so i can have a sort of Launcher for my son. So he doesn't have to think which program for what? and so he doesn't open something i don't want him to.

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
OK so new update, not sure if anyone is following this or interested.

I now have it so you can boot from USB drives as well.

IN the config you can specify by using usb:/ instead of sd:/

media fire link to the latest dol.

Planned Features
Add multiple pages for dols to boot
add channel booting
Fix up graphics and images.

If anyone can try this with USB 2.0 device and let me know if it works. Mine is supposed to be 2.0 but i am not 100% sure.

Here is a youtube video of it working, first i launch a HD Loader from the USB drive then i load mplayer from SD.

Rebound

Trophies
XP
Country
Ummmmm

Homebrew Channel = GUI Forwarder pretty much
bit redundant?

Good work nonetheless
smile.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Rebound said:
Ummmmm

Homebrew Channel = GUI Forwarder pretty much
bit redundant?

Good work nonetheless
smile.gif
This defeats the purpose of the forwarder, because Spacejumps intention was to create a tool, that would start an application from the main-Wii-menu like any other channel with fewer space and without the need of updating the channel.

This could still be a nice alternative to the homebrew channel when compiled into a channel. So really well made!

EDIT: What I find really nice is that you can change the directory the forwarder tries to run applications from. Like with the multiforwarder, but which still needed a config-file for this configurations.

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Screemer said:
nicely done. with some revamp of the gfx it could be a nice "replacement" for hbc.

Last night i found a way to fix the gfx i think. I am going to externalize the images. So it loads them from SD. this allows me to use any size image i want, and still maintain the small size of the app... I will post more once i get farther.

This may also allow me to add the image and meta to the forward buttons (like HBC).

A few distinctions, this does launch DVD which HBC doesnt, and my plan is to be able to launch installed channels as well..

Finally once that is working, i am hoping i can use the wad manager code to install a channel, use channel launching to launch it, then wad manager to uninstall it (basically 4.0 WiiWare concept).

I want a "Safe controlled" menu replacement for my son. So that he can launch into this and Do what he needs to without being able to access any of the stuff i will have available in the main console.

Long way off, but i am getting closer.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
This is superb and is heading in a different direction of the HBC & HomeBrew Launcher Channel imho.

I hope you include source etc when you release so we can add little edits etc too.

The tihng that made me really smile was when you said......I want a "Safe controlled" menu replacement for my son.

Me too, I have 2 kids with both different interests and they both have a Wii, I use both and have a variety of Multi Loaders, HBC and HBL because I too like to have it kiddie safe but sometimes leave my "dangerous apps" on SD, if I can tell them don't go in a certain channel they'll listen and if they have there own channel to launch things the better, currently I use HBC, and they use HBL and/or Spacejump & WiiPowers MF channel.

If you need any help or testing let me know, I'd love to see this come along
biggrin.gif

*EDIT*
Very, very curious as to what you meant by "externalize the images", I'd assume you meant running it through HBC etc, but if you meant when it's achannel then I'll take my hat off to you. Maybe (if that's what you meant) this could be the birth of the first dynamic banner channel. I really hope you've found a way to load different images to a channel from SD, I thought they had to be stored in the shared folder in NAND after looking at the Nintendo Dynamic channels myself. Can you clarify EXACLY what you mean.... please
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I'd love a look at the code too (I'm greedy)

Another idea you've mentioned "wad manager code to install a channel, use channel launching to launch it, then wad manager to uninstall it (basically 4.0 WiiWare concept)." this sounds very cool too, BUT you have a problem... the saves
frown.gif
Uninstalling the wad deletes the saves too. But check my sig "Save Solution".

I had an idea to write Wii saves to SD in real time, I can't manage it without months and months of learning, however I had a fall back plan to use save manager to copy to and from, maybe similar to what your planning, or at least will need to if you intend on keeping the saves etc.

You have a LOT of work ahead of you, but imo you will get there
biggrin.gif

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Slimmmmmm said:
*EDIT*
Very, very curious as to what you meant by "externalize the images", I'd assume you meant running it through HBC etc, but if you meant when it's achannel then I'll take my hat off to you. Maybe (if that's what you meant) this could be the birth of the first dynamic banner channel. I really hope you've found a way to load different images to a channel from SD, I thought they had to be stored in the shared folder in NAND after looking at the Nintendo Dynamic channels myself. Can you clarify EXACLY what you mean.... please
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I'd love a look at the code too (I'm greedy)

I mean that the graphics for the images will be stored on SD instead of in the app themselves. Sadly i have not got far enough for dynamic banners, but that is something i would attempt to tackle LONG down the road. For now it would just allow me to have all the images from the program on a theme location on the SD card. The big reason for this is that mplayer takes up memory space till about 0x8f000000 and disc launching starts at about 0x81300000 so i have to be able to keep my program in that limited memory space. The only way to do this is to keep images out of the app.

QUOTE(Slimmmmmm @ May 19 2009, 07:49 AM) Another idea you've mentioned "wad manager code to install a channel, use channel launching to launch it, then wad manager to uninstall it (basically 4.0 WiiWare concept)." this sounds very cool too, BUT you have a problem... the saves
frown.gif
Uninstalling the wad deletes the saves too. But check my sig "Save Solution".

I had an idea to write Wii saves to SD in real time, I can't manage it without months and months of learning, however I had a fall back plan to use save manager to copy to and from, maybe similar to what your planning, or at least will need to if you intend on keeping the saves etc.

You have a LOT of work ahead of you, but imo you will get there
biggrin.gif

I have seen some code for save management. This would allow it to be saved on sd (or usb) and moved once the install is complete. Again this is a future hope, first i have to be able to launch a channel
biggrin.gif
.. one step at a time. And just to point out. I am not a code, i just like to figure things out and reverse them. I have no education and this is pretty much the first program i have written.

As for code. I have it all up on google code. Dashreplace.googlecode.com

Patryc

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a great idea. So a forwarder channel in the main menu.... to open up 5 more configurable homebrew apps..... love it
yaypsp.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@JQE:
I looked at the dvd loading code and i found some issues. (which i expected there since you used WiiMu's source)

- Retail games with 002 protection with show the 002 error even if you would write it to load the IOS requested by the game, which is recommend for retail discs.
- Sam & Max Season One will definatively not work
- Some others of the IOS Version patching games will not work

Most of it can be fixed by some memory stuff before the apploader is executed. PM me if you are interested in fixing this at least partly.

PS: Does your .dol loader pass the filepath/filename of the .dol as argument to the .dol like the HBC does? If not some applications will not work correctly. My forwarder does it, feel free to take code from it:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=154312

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Alright new version. This one allows for as many apps as you want. Just keep adding to the config file JUST MAKE SURE IT ENDS WITH and appname that is -1.

you can add the options through the menu interface, can't delete yet, that is next.. cleaned up the graphics a bit.. and yeah, here is a new video.

Media Fire Link to Newest Version.

You Tube Video!

Patryc

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a great app/idea JQE. I feel that not many people look here in the HOMEBREW section and its not getting the attention it deserves. Maybe you should post it in the back up loaders section because it can load these also.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the terminology of forwarder is worng a bit maybe you should call it a loader.

A forwarder is a channel that launches and when launching you can jump straight into one of a few apps by holding a certain button or combination of buttons.

If this was made into a channel imo you won't be able to jump to all of the apps. I still think it's superb just maybe named wrong, so will confuse some.

The new additions look great btw
biggrin.gif

benny99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I like it!
I use for some kind of "minimal HBC", with only the app I really use most. But it seemed me stupid to launch it via the HBC (if I'm there I directly launch the needed app) so I made a forwarder channel.
This wad forwards to sd:/apps/GUIforwarder . Tested on my wii and works fine (base wad the Uniloader forwarder)

If somebody wants to try it out here it is: GUIforwarder.

The graphics are not that good (I'm a disaster for them), I just cut and paste some images around. If somebody want to propose better ones, I will be happy to update the wad.

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
benny99 said:
I like it!
I use for some kind of "minimal HBC", with only the app I really use most. But it seemed me stupid to launch it via the HBC (if I'm there I directly launch the needed app) so I made a forwarder channel.
This wad forwards to sd:/apps/GUIforwarder . Tested on my wii and works fine (base wad the Uniloader forwarder)

If somebody wants to try it out here it is: GUIforwarder.

The graphics are not that good (I'm a disaster for them), I just cut and paste some images around. If somebody want to propose better ones, I will be happy to update the wad.

Thanks, i was hoping to get to something like that soon. Very much appreciated.

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Updated version. Now uses the same icons as the HomeBrew channel. This allows for cleaner looking buttons.

Also i added channel management. So it's a lot neater. Channels can be added moved or deleted and you just click the name for all options. You can also rename or change the path or dol name. Much cleaner settings.

Been working hard on channel management got the ideas worked out but not there yet. Soon we will be able to boot installed channels as well.

here is the link on mediafire.

Link to new version

you tube video to follow.

TrickyTony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JQE. This is really very awesome I can totally see this becoming a staple on my Wii. Minor suggestions that you can do with what you like. I feel like the DVD button might be a little intrusive. I would consider making it smaller, or even just another button the user can choose to add/remove from the main interface section (if that is even possible?). The second is dumb and just aesthetic but perhaps if you could add a background support of some sorts (add something like back.png in the same folder) that could help make this look a lot slicker. Anyway as far as practicality goes this is wildly good, and can't wait to see what the future has in store for this.

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TrickyTony said:
JQE. This is really very awesome I can totally see this becoming a staple on my Wii. Minor suggestions that you can do with what you like. I feel like the DVD button might be a little intrusive. I would consider making it smaller, or even just another button the user can choose to add/remove from the main interface section (if that is even possible?). The second is dumb and just aesthetic but perhaps if you could add a background support of some sorts (add something like back.png in the same folder) that could help make this look a lot slicker. Anyway as far as practicality goes this is wildly good, and can't wait to see what the future has in store for this.

For sure, in the future i want to make it globally skinnable using images. There is an image folder already.

As for the DVD i think i could add a check box that would either add or remove the DVD channel, and allow it to move up and down. May take a bit though.

Both good suggestions, thanks for the input.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
    S @ salazarcosplay: does update 19 really block it