Dangy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
16hqnlw.png

2cxb0r7.png

So, I need a gaming speed up. Which do you think is more crucial to update?

Also:

Vista, with 3GB RAM.

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would say both if you have the coin. $100 can probably net you a Pentium Dual E5200 and an ATI HD 4670 or something cheap but effective.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What games do you intend to play exactly? A Celeron processor is pretty weak, so I'd upgrade that. If you're intending to modern 3d games, the gpu also needs to be upgraded.

kylehaas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think you're crazy for trying to use Vista on that thing.
Really, switching to XP would be a wise decision.

When it comes to upgrading, it is far easier to go about updating graphics, but because your processor is so bad I would almost be willing to say that you need to buy an entire new mainboard.
Just make sure you stay the heck away from local stores and buy everything from trustworthy online shops. (Newegg, Tigerdirect, etc.)

If I were you, I would spend the extra money and just get a new PC; though it might be easier to rip everything out of your current case and refill it with better parts.
Just make sure you have plenty of room and what not.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get a new CPU, i got the same video card but with a core2quad, q6600 and while games dont run great, i can run Modern warfare 2, although its at 640x480 but its still playable.

Dangy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for something around 100-150 range. Send me your suggestions in Newegg links.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
8400gs was never a great graphics card. definitely not for gaming. you can get the new proc and notice and overall improvement in games, but with the 8400gs it won't be much.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we dont even know if his mobo could even support these CPU's

go to your motherboards manufacturers site
search up the newest bios and see if they support 45nm CPU's

CrimsoniteX

Trophies
Website
crims0n.us
XP
Country
United States
With your budget, you don't have any real options. Why spend 100 dollars to upgrade a shitty cpu/gpu to a slightly less shitty cpu/gpu? Save your money, and make your purchase count.

Dangy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It supports them.

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.339843]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.339843[/url] Looks nice.

Posts merged

CrimsoniteX said:
With your budget, you don't have any real options. Why spend 100 dollars to upgrade a shitty cpu/gpu to a slightly less shitty cpu/gpu? Save your money, and make your purchase count.

Because all I need is slightly more power to play what I want, but I still want to get the best deal that I can. I don't need an i7 or something like that.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
kylehaas said:
Personally, I think you're crazy for trying to use Vista on that thing.
Really, switching to XP would be a wise decision.
No it wouldn't be.

http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=3666&p=7
Multiple pages of benchmarks showing Vista/7/XP to have the same performance in almost every aspect.

XP also has less security features than Vista/7 (specifically UAC, which finally implements the same sort of user rights and SUDO stuff linux and OSX have had).

While many games may appear to double the memory requirement for games, they're just raising it to a new minimum. While you may see "512MB, 1GB for Vista/7", you sure as hell don't see "2GB, 4GB for Vista/7" in anything official.

No reason to go with XP, downgrading an OS like that is a lot of work.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CrimsoniteX said:
This if you keep upgrading slightly then you'll just be spending unnecessary money every few years so at least 50 more dollars and get yourself something better.

Edit: Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.346372

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CrimsoniteX said:

because everyone needs a i5 and a 5770 right? whats been suggested so far is going to be a definite improvement over what he has now, and it will be able to play new games fine at lower resolutions.

i've got a slightly worse set up (amd 64 x2 5000+, 4670) running new games without a hitch, Bioshock 2, ME2, BC2 maxed @ 1280x1024. STALKER CoP on medium, the only game i've had trouble with that came out recently is avp, but avp is a buggy game all around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1