GParted

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Tanmay, Jul 17, 2009.

Jul 17, 2009

GParted by Tanmay at 7:54 PM (573 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Tanmay
    OP

Banned Tanmay Banned

United States
    Hey, guys! I finally got Ubuntu netbook edition installed on my new netbook. I installed 'em side by side but what it did was only leave 100 MB free for Ubuntu. I have the update manager running. It says to free some space. So I went to GParted and it didn't let me resize the hard drive and then put the unallocated space into space on my linux-swap filesystem. [​IMG] Please help

2. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ouch... btw, was this through the LiveUSB or Wubi? Anyway, your best bet is to head over to the Ubuntu forums and try and get some help there, be sure to tell them your situation, and how you installed it, wubi or liveUSB. I am guessing when you run Gparted that you do not see the individual partitions but one whole drive, otherwise you would not be asking here?

I have a similar problem (I am guessing) that I have not gotten around to solving yet so I can't be of any help other than sending you to the experts.

3. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What does your partition table look like?
    Can you open gparted and post a screenshot?

EDIT:

Wait, are you running gparted from a live usb or the installed system?
    I don't think it can resize a mounted filesystem, so run it from the live usb.

4. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    you CAN'T partition a mounted partition (some partition managers might allow it, but its very dangerous to your data)
    you'll need to boot live from something (Ubuntu liveCD, or even the Gparted liveCD)
    for a netbook, burn the contents of the .img or .iso to a USB and boot off it.

5. Tanmay
    OP

Banned Tanmay Banned

United States
    Ok; I'll try that [​IMG]