Hardware got ps3, got hdmi tv what could go wrong?

issy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hi there, i've just purchased a tv for my ps3 today, i connected it through HDMI first, then no signal, did ps3 reset, tv reset, then tried composite (with scart adapter) still no luck. the tv works fine as we tried to connect pc to it and it works.

Any help/suggestions?

PS: the ps3 gets quite hot at the back, and my ps3 is preowned btw.

issy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
tried that, doesnt make a difference
frown.gif

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
issy12 said:
i have tired both hdmi ports, and also SCART. still no signal, also read manual ,doesn't specify which port.

thanks

The PS3 generally tries to negotiate the resolution once it boots. You might try plugging in the HDMI port, selecting that output on the TV, then booting the PS3.

You probably want to try to narrow down possible component failures

1) HDMI/SCART cable. Try using the cable on a different device if possible to confirm the cable is good
2) TV. Try using another device, dvd player or whatever to ensure either the HDMI port or SCART port are good
3) PS3. Try using the PS3 on another TV to see if that helps

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you purchased your system from a store, return it explaining the situation and see if they'll let you try another one. That will easily determine if its the TV or the system.

If you just bought it from some person trying to get rid of it, then see about sending it to Sony (or at least talk to their customer support). Explaining the situation may allow them to grant you a repair for little or no charge. (No promises on that though.) If you send the system to them, once it comes back, you'll find out if its the system or the TV that way.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
issy12 said:
the tv works fine as we tried to connect pc to it and it works.

How did you connect it to the PC? HDMI or VGA?

If HDMI, did you use the same cable you're trying to use with the PS3?

If so, you can probably rule out the TV or cable as culprits and it's either the PS3 stuck on the wrong video settings, or the PS3 is just plain broken.

To be absolutely sure, I'd try composite with no scart adapter, just the plain red/yellow/white cables* plugged directly into a TV, then do the video reset (turn off system, then turn it back on but keep holding power until the system is fully started.) If you still don't see anything after that, system's busted.

* - these ones, if you didn't get a set with your used system, the same cables from a PS1 or PS2 will still work on a PS3
p2avnew.jpg

issy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i have tried on another TV (gave it to a friend) , and he said that the PS3 logo appears, and then there is a green screen. however on my screen, it simply says no signal. i have tried connecting through the red white and yellow (although i have no red white yellow inputs see pictures) however there is no change of luck.

I connected the computer with VGA btw.

Thanks for any more suggestions

back of TV
ih1cv9.jpg

2vt7abq.jpg

scart adapter
5mmiag.jpg

issy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
UPDATE: I tried again in the morning with the HDMI and i got this screen, it then just went black, i tried again and then got the no signal message again.
I think this is the green screen my friend was talking about

p19011108100002.jpg

issy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As stated in above posts, it didn't work at all with any cables, the picture is when i actually got some form of input from the ps3

MrCooper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the HDMI cable is older try disconnecting the cable and swapping the ends and if it's newer try pushing in both ends and make sure Theres a good connection.

There could also be a setting on the tv that turns off some of the ports and/or shuts off the return signal from the port.

issy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
my HDMI is a brand new cable, and i did try yes, but it was just like a frozen screen i couldn't press anything but yes i did press O which is yes.

issy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
turns out the graphics card was the problem, having it fixed for £30 hopes it will work when it comes back, wish me luck

thanks for the help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I want this floormat!