Got NextGen?

xbox-ps5-800x450-1.jpg

Last week saw the release of both of the nextgen consoles, and we just wondered if you had managed to pick either one up?

Despite me being 99% PlayStation for the previous generation, I actually went with the Xbox this time around and scored myself a Series S! So far it's been fantastic! What did you get/want?

Vote in the poll and post in the comments!

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I bought an Xbox series X, for my Job i didnt play so longitud but looks great. Also i have a lo mr of games because i had an Xbox one s

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I *think* Im getting a ps5 disc version fingers crossed

got in on the 9 pm EST wave through Walmart by some small miracle.

ill believe it when it ships tho which says 'by nov 26'

Probably going to sell my ps4 pro too to pay for half of it. don't really have use to remote play it into another room, and backwards compatibility is actually looking very promising especially with better fps than the pro.

Crazystato

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Have a ps5 and really enjoying it so far. Astros playroom really shows off the controllers potential. Had issues with not being able to boot demons souls for a couple of days but now works a treat.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm unable to get any next-gen (technically 9th generation) console as of this writing. However, I'm pondering getting either an Xbox Series X or Series S (the latter more likely, as it is cheaper since I'm unlikely to use the optical drive) for testing out ports of various free/open-source games (playing retail games will come later on) that I may work on in the near future. If this doesn't work out, I could consider an Xbox One, One S or One X, though at the cost of less processing power.
Only because of the Xbox Live Creators Program and Dev Mode (thank Microsoft for these generous and official efforts!), I can actually try out porting via UWP (after I pay the initial $19 one-time membership fee, which is easily within my reach), as real certification is out of reach for almost all FOSS projects, both in licensing and cost.

If I could easily develop and test software like what Dev Mode lets me do, I could also consider getting a Playstation 5, though it will likely be the Digital Edition without the optical drive (cost is my primary reason). Unfortunately, I don't know of any equivalent programs from Sony that would allow me to start developing for PS5 (and possibly for the PS4) more easily and quickly, unless someone here knows about such a program.

A blog post I wrote just now goes into more detail about this: https://gbatemp.net/entry/porting-oss-games-to-xbox-one-via-xbox-live-creators-program.17884/

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

total_n000000b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Next gen is already old gen!

Have you seen apple M1 chip performance. I would be an idiot to invest in this dying breed of x86 power hungry machines.

Soon iPhones will be running the graphically intense stuff, along with a new switch revision of course cause.that uses ARM as well and since Nvidia will acquire ARM soon we can expect a better switch pro soon!

Reactions: stüssy

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Was torn between buying PS5 and XBSX, but once Series S was announced, I landed on that instead. The price is crazy good for a comparatively high-end (even if not cutting edge) gaming machine, and GamePass also offers a ton of value - particularly for someone like me, since I mostly skipped out on 8th gen and have a ton of games to catch up to.

Enjoying my return into next-gen a lot so far! My only gripe is face buttons not always responsive to light taps (an issue carried over from Elite v2 controllers, AFAIK), but otherwise everything is smooth. Just gotta remember to not blow vape smoke into it :)

Last edited by Pipistrele,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr