Got NextGen?

xbox-ps5-800x450-1.jpg

Last week saw the release of both of the nextgen consoles, and we just wondered if you had managed to pick either one up?

Despite me being 99% PlayStation for the previous generation, I actually went with the Xbox this time around and scored myself a Series S! So far it's been fantastic! What did you get/want?

Vote in the poll and post in the comments!

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm unable to get any next-gen (technically 9th generation) console as of this writing. However, I'm pondering getting either an Xbox Series X or Series S (the latter more likely, as it is cheaper since I'm unlikely to use the optical drive) for testing out ports of various free/open-source games (playing retail games will come later on) that I may work on in the near future. If this doesn't work out, I could consider an Xbox One, One S or One X, though at the cost of less processing power.
Only because of the Xbox Live Creators Program and Dev Mode (thank Microsoft for these generous and official efforts!), I can actually try out porting via UWP (after I pay the initial $19 one-time membership fee, which is easily within my reach), as real certification is out of reach for almost all FOSS projects, both in licensing and cost.

If I could easily develop and test software like what Dev Mode lets me do, I could also consider getting a Playstation 5, though it will likely be the Digital Edition without the optical drive (cost is my primary reason). Unfortunately, I don't know of any equivalent programs from Sony that would allow me to start developing for PS5 (and possibly for the PS4) more easily and quickly, unless someone here knows about such a program.

A blog post I wrote just now goes into more detail about this: https://gbatemp.net/entry/porting-oss-games-to-xbox-one-via-xbox-live-creators-program.17884/

This is what I've been interested in knowing about the new XBox, is it easy to develop your own games on it? I would love a way to easily develop for console, and I was hyped for the 'every console a devkit' feature of the XBone. Using a Series S as a $300 devkit sounds sweet.

For gaming, I'm probably going to stick with my PC once I have the funds to upgrade it, just because that's where all my games are. I built it in 2013 and it was a budget machine then, it's desperately in need of a new graphics card. If I could transfer my games like Titanfall 2 and Doom '16 from PC to XBox, I'd be tempted to use it as a gaming machine, but the ability to develop on one is what's really going to sell one for me.

Reactions: Worldblender

GCS

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
It's not logical to buy next-gen in our country (sadly). Here is how:

50% Customs Tax
+ 18% VAT + 20% Special Usage Tax + 1% Culture Ministry Tax + 10% Communucation Tax - Sony/ Xbox Special 130$ Sale For Turkey

GRAND TOTAL: 1000$

Turkey has an increased 50% customs tax only for game consoles.
You can just buy a better gaming PC for that price and I am not even talking about the game prices.
You can go to abroad for 2 days and buy PS5/ Xbox Series X there and it would still cost less then this price.

Last edited by GCS,

SilverWah

CVS2 best game period.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Europe gets shafted once again with release dates.
I'm planning to pick up a PS5 when I have some leftover money.
Maybe double dip with Series X down the line just for the backwards compability alone.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Joke on you, I already got a next gen console three years ago.

What was it? A PS1?

I'll probably get a PS5 after they fix all the hardware problems.

Plenty of PS1/PS2/PS3/PSV/PS4 games to play in the mean time.

Last edited by smf,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
same for me. I'm on disability, so I can only afford one console. I find myself liking Nintendo's stuff a lot more than the competition.
THE ONE THING I really like about Nintendo is they always stay out of RAW HW power competition, always distinguish themselves with unique ideas from other console makers.
No other consoles/PC titles give cozy and relax sensation like Nintendo games.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I'd really have to redo my entire setup just to make a ps5/xbox series x worth it. I thought the point of consoles was so you didn't have to spend countless sums of money on pc parts? I already have to use an adapter to get sound from my receiver with the switch, since I only have optical and whatnot (no hdmi on my receiver and one hdmi port on my tv).

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, no thanks. Nothing compels me to get nextgen when I already have a gaming rig, and those "exclusives" are timed most likely. I don't see the point. I don't care about 4K or raytracing.
Yeah, usually people who buy consoles are parents for their young kids, true gamers are usually PC oriented.
But you won't find Demon souls Remake or Spideman in else where or..... am I wrong?
Seems Raytracing will be a big feature, even AMD gpu tries to implement it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, usually people who buy consoles are parents for their young kids, true gamers are usually PC oriented.
But you won't find Demon souls Remake or Spideman in else where or..... am I wrong?
Seems Raytracing will be a big feature, even AMD gpu tries to implement it.

I couldn't care less about that game or any Souls Like genre of games. I think they're overrated.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a PS5, Spider-man Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, NBA2K21, and Sackboy, but...

View attachment 234036

I have the game discs with me already, though...

how is Sackboy?

Also- do ps4 backwards compatible games have quick resume? I know ps5 games don't but

how you liking Morales and Demon Souls too? Did you get standard or ultimate edition with Spiderman remastered?

Last edited by playstays_shun,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if Nintendo would just implement what fans are wanting from the switch (i.e. features), I'd never both with sony or microsoft again.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
how is Sackboy?

Also- do ps4 backwards compatible games have quick resume? I know ps5 games don't but

how you liking Morales and Demon Souls too? Did you get standard or ultimate edition with Spiderman remastered?
Guess u didn't get the joke within the pic, right? People who lives in EU don't have console yet, they are sold out every where, except games.

Reactions: playstays_shun

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off