Gaming Got an old PC with CentOS on it, want to install W7

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I want to format this PC to get rid of CentOS since Steam doesn't work properly on it. I've put the Windows 7 DVD in the CD/DVD reader, but when I try to boot from it it gives me an error 'Windows 7 cannot boot from CD code 5'.
I've already looked if I can boot from USB ports, but the motherboard refuses to give me that option.

I also can't get into CentOS environment, because I don't know the password :/ So I'm kind of forced into the BIOS to make it happen.

What can I do to format this PC, and give it Windows 7?

aalokishere

Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
haven't personally used cent OS yet.....you did mention about no passowrd so may be you can try this

What can you do if you forget your root password? To reset it to a different password, boot into rescue mode or single-user mode, and use the passwd command to reset the root password.

Source:http://www.centos.or...rescuemode.html

OR maybe install another version of windows and then try going to7 (if you have any)

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
One solution you could try would be to burn Plop Boot Manager to a CD, boot it and then launch your USB drive that you have the Windows 7 disc installed on. This application allows computers that does not support booting from USB in BIOS to boot from USB through the use of this boot CD. The GUI is not very nice to look at, however you won't be spending too much time in it if you manage to boot the OS installer.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Did you try having a usb device with w7 in the computer when selecting where to boot from?
No, but as we speak I'm following this tutorial to try to put Windows XP on my USB. Let's hope it works.
How exactly did you burn the disc?
4x speed on my laptop, the DVD has worked before.
haven't personally used cent OS yet.....you did mention about no passowrd so may be you can try this

What can you do if you forget your root password? To reset it to a different password, boot into rescue mode or single-user mode, and use the passwd command to reset the root password.

Source:http://www.centos.or...rescuemode.html

OR maybe install another version of windows and then try going to7 (if you have any)
I'll try those things, ty. I have Windows XP Home edition and Windows XP Pro lying here, I'll try those too.
One solution you could try would be to burn Plop Boot Manager to a CD, boot it and then launch your USB drive that you have the Windows 7 disc installed on. This application allows computers that does not support booting from USB in BIOS to boot from USB through the use of this boot CD. The GUI is not very nice to look at, however you won't be spending too much time in it if you manage to boot the OS installer.
Can I burn it on a DVD too? I don't have CD's left frankly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill