Google is shutting down its internal Stadia game development studios as it switches focus

Stadia_03_19_19.jpg

Google Stadia has had its ups and downs since its launch in late 2019, as it edged its way into the cloud-based game streaming market, as well as game development. Yet, it seems like the latter half will soon be shuttered, as a press release from Google has revealed Stadia Games & Entertainment--SG&E, its game studio brand--will slowly wind down by the end of 2021. Rather than create games, Google appears to now want to shift focus to "building the proven technology of Stadia as well as deepening business partnerships". Jade Raymond, former producer of the first two Assassin's Creed titles, who headed SG&E will also be departing Google for new ventures, while some of the team from the Los Angeles and Montreal branches will find new roles within the company after Google restructures. For now, Google is committed to Stadia as a platform.

:arrow: Source

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
several of us have in this thread. everyone is too hyped up on the hate stadia craze to read past the first sentence in each response. I get it. I do it myself.

When I bought cyberpunk for stadia they had a deal where you got $10 off the game if you bought a month of stadia pro. so I ended up getting the game and a month of pro for the cost of the game. not only does it load fast, but you can play all the graphics on the highest settings.

And for good measure, ill say it again. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY A MONTHLY FEE TO PLAY A GAME ON STADIA THAT YOU PAID FOR. you have to pay if you want to play it at 4K 60 fps. It looks great playing my stadia games on my tv in our living room on our 4K TV. but to be honest when i'm playing a game and into it I don't notice if its playing in 1080.

I understand the whole bit about not owning some form of a hard copy. I get that. I have a massive, console, and game collection that I'm proud of. The thought of paying for a game that I cannot put in a cabinet on display so that I can feel very macho about myself just doesn't sit right for me. but the more digital content I acquire the more I like it. games load fast, I don't have to worry about losing, scratching, breaking the disk or cart.

Stop hating on it for a minute or two, and try their free for a week. month? can't remember. You get a ton of free games with stadia pro. be as unbias as you can and try it out. Remember, just because you think PC's are the superior, or consoles, that doesn't mean you have to hate stadia. if its fun to play and you have a good time, then that is a good gaming system.

As much as you all want me to keep flapping my gums, but i must go. You are all free to tell me how stupid I am, and to say so in the following responses.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm hardly a fan of Stadia, as my Gigabit WiFi can't stream worth crap in my house, but the platform has its merits. I think Google will kill it out of boredom before Stadia "dies" or comes close to it.
And then replace it with YouTube GameStream, which will have basically no features. The Google way of killing and replacing projects (Yes I'm still fucking salty about Google Play Music)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c