ROM Hack Good video formats for asm hack

bananabread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
After finally getting asm hacks to work on my romhack for Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, I wanted to replace the videos in the game, because Mobiclip is way to advanced for my file format reverse engineering skills, I wanted to replace it with a video format of my own.
Before making my own videoformat, I want to know if there are any existing video formats that could work with asm hacks. I already tried this one: https://nsmbhd.net/thread/3258-video-intro-with-streamed-sound/, but the video glitches out a lot and isn't lined up with audio, which is required in my case.
It doesn't need to be 60 or even 30fps. 12 or 8 fps is fine as it's animated anyway.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody really does adding video to DS ROMs (especially not in the form of a quasi library you can call), and indeed editing something enough to add subs is usually considered a pretty swish hack. Going further if you are not willing to take what has already been done (a few people have done some stuff with mobiclip and its precursors as far as decoding -- some of the people doing everyfile explorer) and spin it up further, or possibly smack the above until it works, then I doubt you will get too far making your own.

Still if it is an intro video type scenario then you could probably make a sort of Scene style intro (as in like when some people dump ROMs) and wedge in some homebrew before jumping back to the main program, or possibly render it as an overlay for the main program. If not then I imagine you be reinventing motionJPG or something similar* -- it is not like space is particularly a problem after all.

*if low FPS is enough then while 60fps or 30fps is a bit much to be cycling in and out the DS BG section (which supports nice full screen, if not bigger, tiles/images on the DS http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dsvideobgmodescontrol ) you could get away with less than that. Audio might be a bit more fun but if you can get some streaming in there (the new super mario brothers people have a bit more for that for when the game in question does not support it, the DS hardware does also decode PCM and ADPCM). http://adshomebrewersdiary.blogspot.com/2012/02/unequivocal-answer.html I also feel like linking at this point.

Reactions: bananabread

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1