Good GBA Emu?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Heckuhfus, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Heckuhfus
    OP

Heckuhfus Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    I'm trying to play Mario&Luigi Superstar Saga and Mimish Cap, but when I run it on my 3DS it's like I'm playing on a calculator. anyone know any good GBA emulators that can run games like Mimish Cap and M&L SS
    O3DSXL

2. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Do GBA game injection, there's no gba emulator that runs decently on o3ds

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You can find a pre-injected ROM on that iso site. All GBA emulators run like crap on the 3DS, even on the new3DS. Rom injection is the best method for running GBA games.

Mr.Faq2015 likes this.
  4. Heckuhfus
    OP

Heckuhfus Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    What are pre injected ROMs?

5. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Yes, you don't need a GBA emulator. You can run them natively on your 3DS!

Pre-injected means that the games that officially exists on the "VC", (those 10 GBA Ambassador games)
    have been replaced with another game, allowing you to play nearly every GBA game natively on your 3DS without an emulator!

Mr.Faq2015 likes this.
  6. Heckuhfus
    OP

Heckuhfus Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    So I could make health and safety m&l ss?

7. Durelle

Durelle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2016
    Canada
    NB, Canada
    no, it would literally be its own game, when you install teh CIA files youl have them seperatly on the 3ds to play just like its a regular VC game

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

8. thekarter104

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    No, you get the cia files on the internet, they're ready to install.

9. Heckuhfus
    OP

Heckuhfus Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    ⚫ What is an CIA?

⚫ What is VC

⚫ When I install a pre-injected game, where do I put it and where is it?

10. Durelle

Durelle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2016
    Canada
    NB, Canada
    First of all did you already install a9hl and Luma3ds on your 3ds, if so

- think of a CIA file as a compiled file to install on the device (like a EXE on a windows PC)
    - VC = Virtual Console (meaning official retro games that nintendo made) and a Injection pretty much just replaces the ROM that nintendo placed into their official game.
    - The injected game will be a CIA file and you can use a program called FBI to install it from your SD card, generally people place it in a folder called CIA for ease of access. once its installed you can delete the CIA file as it will show up as a game on the 3ds as if you bought it from teh eshop.

KEEP IN MIND you need to install luma3ds and mdo your 3ds. foolow http://3ds.guide/ to do so if you already did not. And FOLLOW EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS IT says or you might brick your 3ds if you skip a step./

Mr.Faq2015 and jaderocc like this.
  11. thekarter104

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    CIA is an installer, you can install games, updates and more. But ofcourse, use it for games.

VC is Virtual Console. It's the official emulator by Nintendo, although Nintendo still calls the GBA games on 3DS VC for some reason. Probably because it's easier.

A few posts back I explained what a pre-injected game is. An inject is to replace games by another game.

12. Heckuhfus
    OP

Heckuhfus Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    I may brick my 3ds. I might

13. Durelle

Durelle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2016
    Canada
    NB, Canada
    ONLY if you miss a step, just follow the guide and read carefully, i did this guide on over 20 3ds's so far and they all worked fine.

14. thekarter104

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    It's possible yes. Focus on reading the guide and checking what's on the SD Card. Make a folder for the 3DS stuff you need to download on the guide. A folder with the required stuff in it is just for convinience. Makes it easier to see what you need.

Last edited by thekarter104, Jan 30, 2017
  15. jaderocc

jaderocc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    CIA is a file type the 3ds can use. can be games/apps, probably more stuff. vc as in virtual console games. "preinjected games" im not so sure about exactly what is meant but if u on cfw u can just use fbi to install the cia files of whatever u lookin for. i'm sure there are .cia files for the game(s) you're looking for on that iso site. drop them on your sd card in /cias (or essentially wherever you want just as long as u remember where u put em) jand install via fbi, the same way the guide has you install hblauncher/lumaupdater/fbi.

edit: beat me to it while i was tryna type on my phone lmao

Last edited by jaderocc, Jan 30, 2017
  16. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So does any flash carts runGBA games? Like DStwo? I know everyone here likes to offer the best and simple option, but please at least give OPTIONS, and acknowledge other possible things. Not saying you have to but it least gives the idea we know other things. :P

zac122 likes this.
  17. Hopalongtom

Hopalongtom GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Why bother risking that iso site for a preinjected rom... its far easier to inject them yourself with the "Ultimate GBA VC Injector".

maorninja, DrkBeam and MajinCubyan like this.
  18. Heckuhfus
    OP

Heckuhfus Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    I was just watching a video on that exact thing, Hopalongtom, that's what I'm going to do but I'm going to need FBi. (sigh)

19. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    DSTwo/DSTwo+ are teh only ones that can as they contain an secondary CPU inside where Emulation takes place.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

NO! Do NOT use a YT tutorial! they Quickly become outdated and safer methods always follow past them the 3DS Guide is as safe as it can be IF you follow each step precisely w/o skipping any step

andremario81 and maorninja like this.
  20. Hopalongtom

Hopalongtom GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Just be careful and follow the guide, I just did it myself on friday, got worried that I nearly broke it but it worked like a charm!

But having played the Retroarch GBA emulators and this VC injection... the VC Injection works perfectly!