Hacking godmode9 firm vs boot9strap firm

Blaze Uchiha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't know it, you probably should not be here.

BTW GM9 is file explorer, b9s is b9s installer.
I know that but I just found out like 10 minutes ago that Godmode9 can be installed as a firm and I wanted to know more about it. This place is, to the best of my knowledge, is the best place for the exchange of information on exactly this kind of thing. So if that's the case then, yeah I should be here and it is a legitimate question. No need to be so condescending. If you're not gonna provide any useful information, then please don't comment at all.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't know it, you probably should not be here.

BTW GM9 is file explorer, b9s is b9s installer.
No one likes an information gatekeeper. People are not born with that kind of knowledge, so kindly fuck off.

I know that but I just found out like 10 minutes ago that Godmode9 can be installed as a firm and I wanted to know more about it. This place is, to the best of my knowledge, is the best place for the exchange of information on exactly this kind of thing. So if that's the case then, yeah I should be here and it is a legitimate question. No need to be so condescending. If you're not gonna provide any useful information, then please don't comment at all.
I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main question I have is which is better and why?
Let’s start with what each does.

GM9 is a file explorer. It lets you view and edit the file system that exists on your sd card and nand chip. It also lets you dump cartridges, and make backups. GM9 Is most definitely the most important Homebrew to have on your system. Almost everyone has it.

The B9S firm that you speak of is an installer, more specificity, it installs boot9strap, the thing that lets you install custom firmware and Homebrew (like luma and gm9). iirc, you only run it once during setup, and then you can discard it.

Now to answer your question:

Gm9 and the b9s installer to two very different things. While hacking a 3ds, both will be used, but only gm9 has to be kept for afterwards.

I assume you are looking into hacking your 3ds. If this is indeed the case, please do it by following 3ds.guide to the letter. It will even tell you what can be deleted afterwards.

I hope my explanation helped.

Last edited by HamBone41801,
Reactions: Quantumcat

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boot9Strap a more improved latest version of Arm9LoaderHax with more features, and Godmode9 is not the same (or functions the same.) As Boot9Strap and they are both needed to run CFW.
So to answer your question, stick with both :P.

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Boot9Strap a more improved latest version of Arm9LoaderHax with more features, and Godmode9 is not the same (or functions the same.) As Boot9Strap and they are both needed to run CFW.
So to answer your question, stick with both :P.
With GM9 as firm, we can run any .firm (and directly w/o touch any button) like luma firm ^^

OP: To my mind, I prefer B9S because GM9 Have a little loading screen (black screen or menu screen) and we see it but with B9S there isn't this loading screen

Obviously there are advantage in both case.

Reactions: Blaze Uchiha

Blaze Uchiha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there's no real reason to install GM9 to firm0/firm1 then? I guess I'll just stick to B9S that I already have installed then:P Maybe someone can help me out with this other issue I'm currently having over in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-not-working.492319/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

With GM9 as firm, we can run any .firm (and directly w/o touch any button) like luma firm ^^

OP: To my mind, I prefer B9S because GM9 Have a little loading screen (black screen or menu screen) and we see it but with B9S there isn't this loading screen

Obviously there are advantage in both case.
doesn't B9S run any firm too if they're in the luma/payloads folder though( if you're using Luma CFW)?

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I see a lot of misconceptions from people replying the OP.

First of all: every .firm is a sighaxed payload, that includes CFWs, tools and obviously B9S.
B9S is a custom Bootloader which boots boot.firm from the root of the SD card or CTRNAND. In the other hand GM9 is a file browser with a set of tools and a batch system, but also GM9 has a Bootloader Mode which can be triggered if installed as firm0/1 or onto a flashcart (which is amazing because you can trigger a nice menú on boot before boot.firm is booted).

In theory you can install any .firm as firm0/1, but if it doesn't include a Bootloader feature, you may be screwed (ex. Cakes CFW).
I may missing things like the firm0/1 size in order to install a firm.

Reactions: Xyphoseos

Blaze Uchiha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a lot of misconceptions from people replying the OP.

First of all: every .firm is a sighaxed payload, that includes CFWs, tools and obviously B9S.
B9S is a custom Bootloader which boots boot.firm from the root of the SD card or CTRNAND. In the other hand GM9 is a file browser with a set of tools and a batch system, but also GM9 has a Bootloader Mode which can be triggered if installed as firm0/1 or onto a flashcart (which is amazing because you can trigger a nice menú on boot before boot.firm is booted).

In theory you can install any .firm as firm0/1, but if it doesn't include a Bootloader feature, you may be screwed (ex. Cakes CFW).
I may missing things like the firm0/1 size in order to install a firm.
So in your honest opinion, which is the superior option?

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So in your honest opinion, which is the superior option?
I can't say that GM9 is superior then B9S, but GM9 gives you a more complex environment and is more for power users and not in any way for newbies.

Edit: if you liked priiloader on the Wii, you will love GM9 in Bootloader Mode.

Blaze Uchiha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say that GM9 is superior then B9S, but GM9 gives you a more complex environment and is more for power users and not in any way for newbies.

Edit: if you liked priiloader on the Wii, you will love GM9 in Bootloader Mode.
what do you mean? And yes I loved priiloader. It was one of my favorite boot2 options for the Wii

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
b9s is the better option, because on every coldboot it dumps the bootrom/otp to memory
some firms when booted from a chainloader that's installed to FIRM, might assume that there is a bootrom in memory
having the bootrom in memory makes accessing keys much easier, you don't need to fuff around with slotx keys and aeskeydb and shit, because the bootrom is there for the taking, with all the keys in it

also, b9s does keyslot init and other things as well, which is why it is used more than other things

gm9 does say that it's not to be installed to FIRM for normal operation for a reason

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being curious about which is better should automatically warrant the answer of B9S, namely because it's just easier for the end-user, which you are. Above end-users, GM9 as a bootloader is neat. I have it only on one console, and really I haven't noticed any improvement over just B9S, other than the splash screen showing the cool GM9 logo. It does have a menu when you hold R+Left, which to me is a wonky button combo. That menu has the bootloader, GM9 the app, and you could go directly to the scripts feature. I suppose if you use GM9 frequently, it's the preferred option, otherwise, KISS, go with B9S.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.