War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So yeah, I figured these sort of things couldn't happen to me...but lo and behold, my R button stopped working about 2 weeks ago. At first, if I just blew into it, it would work. Then, that trick stopped working... so I got out a can of compressed air and sprayed it a couple times, which worked really nicely, today, my R button does not work at ALL. I tried cleaning my DS, blowing into the R button, and spraying it several times with compressed air... none of those worked. Not only that, but now my L button is acting wonky too :\ How should I fix this?

Please don't say "get a new DS". I honestly wouldn't mind getting a new one, but not only do I not have the money right now, but I feel like at this point, I might as well wait for the DSi.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to assume you have a DSlite, and that it's no longer under any kind of warranty.

Here's what you need to fix it:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13264

Of course this would mean taking apart your DS and will also require some minor soldering skills, but that would definitely solve the problem and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than "buying a new DS" or waiting for the DSi.

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am so confused as to why anyone would really want a DSi =/
Isn't it just more and differet homebrews? The DS games will still be exclusive to any DS platformer right?

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm for sure buying a DSi when it comes out.

Who wouldn't want a DS with 2 cameras?

And so what, if I buy it, I'll still have my DS Lite to play homebrew and crap,

SkyintheSea

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This public forum is intended for users of all ages, please take this into consideration when posting. Please use common sense and don't post explicit profanity, we are not strict on the use of swearing but please show respect for the members of GBAtemp.
mad.gif

Zenith94

1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
SkyintheSea said:
This public forum is intended for users of all ages, please take this into consideration when posting. Please use common sense and don't post explicit profanity, we are not strict on the use of swearing but please show respect for the members of GBAtemp.
mad.gif

ye gyz dont sai dam!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
when my R button got very hard to press nintendo wanted 80$+ just to look at it. i picked up some compressed air like you did. if you pull the button back near the power led is a small hole. get the end up to it and put a ton of air in there. i did it probably 10+ times until it fixed the problem. don't get frustrated and take your time. those micro controller switches are so sensitive to dust =/.

-another world

Dark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
try blowing in to the botton it always works for me. Usually the dust is messing the botton a few blows might work for you.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
boojumz said:
hmm...first my L broke, then a year later, my R broke. both seem to work if i press hard from out in...how would compressed air fix the problem?
Game controller buttons usually work by having two traces on a circuit board seperated by a small gap. When you press the button, you push a conductor against both traces, completing the circuit and telling the system that the button is being pressed. If there is too much dust or debris between the conductor and the traces it won't make good contact and the button won't work. This can be fixed with compressed air.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Please, let's not turn this into a DSi hate thread, or anything DSi related. I'm just saying, if I have to end up buying a new DS, I might as well buy a DSi.

Like I said in the first post, I've already tried to blow into the button and it DOES NOT work. Someone said that if I lift up the shoulder button, there should be a small hole... my R button doesn't go up that much, so I don't see a hole at all.

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My L button was a bit weird for me..

At first, I just needed to press HARDER.
Then.. it stopped working altogether.
However, I could feel it still clicking. It still made a *click click* noise when a pressed it.
The L button probably screwed up because of over-Metroid Prime Hunters-ing.
Sometimes the L button would repair itself, and sometimes it wouldn't.
DO NOT SEND TO NINTENDO!!! I did this, and I paid $30 and they did nothing at all. They told us it "still worked"

Months passed, and I was missing my L button *sob*
One day.. I let my brother borrow my DS.

And the bastard had to go and DROP IT!! He broke the R button. So, I have a retarded L button and a fully broken R button. The inside of the R button had broken off completely, and was therefore unattached to the main part of the DS Lite.

Boy.. I was angry. But my dad got me a new one. And I gave the retarded one to my brother. We both got TopToys. Eventually, the L button stopped being retarded and works fully now.

There you go War. Maybe give it some time... but don't put too much force into it.

Sticks

Trophies
XP
Country
This is what I did, both on mine and a friend's DS - worked both times.

Open up the DS, and pull out the plastic Shoulder button for the offending side, be careful of the spring - don't lose it, also note how it's positioned.

Now once you've pulled out the button, check the conductor pad where the button was pushing against. It should be a little plasticky circle ~2-3mm diameter, it'll make a clicking sound when you push down on it. Now grab a paperclip, straighten it out and carefully jab at the pad from all sides, it'll come loose after a bit and you should be able to move it around - it shouldn't have come out entirely though, if it does just push it back in.

Replace the shoulder button and spring, make sure that it 'clicks' when you push down on the shoulder button. Replace the back plate and battery and test the button to see if it works. If it does then put all the screws/etc back in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@