Global Warming

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I certainly believe a panel of the worlds most respected scientists in the form of the IPCC over wing-nut op-ed journalists, opportunist celebrities, discredited hack film makers like Martin Durkin and rebellious teenage bloggers sure they've uncovered a world-wide conspiracy and determined to stick it to the man.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Personally I dont believe in man made global warming. For the last 20 years the sun was going through a very active cycle, this can be confirmed by NASA and other space organisations. But in the last year the Suns activity has died right down. It has been very inactive and has been not been producing many solar flares. Hence the mild summer and very cold winter of 2008. In fact last year the polar ice caps grew by 30%, they didnt shrink. If you notice because of this the term global warming has been replaced with the term climate change.

edit: Heres some science for you guys!
smileipb2.png

190808ice.jpg

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Climate change has always been a more accurate term for what "global warming" is gernally considered to mean. The effect that variations in the sun has on temperature fluctuations has been seriously over-egged by some of those on the fringe of science making a name for themselves by trying to disprove man's influence on climate change (One of the main proponents of that theory doesn't even believe in the greenhouse effect at all, which is interesting because that means we're living on a ball of ice unable to support any form of life)

Climate myths: Global warming is down to the Sun, not humans
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11650

This kind of brings me to another aspect of the 'debate' which leads me to lump the more frantic climate change conspiracy theorists along with young earth creationists, AIDS denailists and the CIA-did-9/11 lot - The fact that they just can't get their story straight. Their camp is amazingly fractured, and even individuals within it seem to veer from one stance to the other from day to day and yet they never seem to argue or correct each other. If you say climate change is a natural cycle, isn't happening at all, is happening but down to volcano gas, is happening but down to sun spots, the earth's actually cooling, the earth is staying the same temeprature, the earth is warming but it's nothing to do with CO2 produced by humans or just "Wow, it was cold last month - so much for global warming (ignoring the fact that climatology requires looking at long term trends, not what it was like over the course of one year)... It doesn't seem to matter, as long as you're saying 100% it's nothing to do with human activity your views are accepted and you're all on the same side, even if you're stating completely contradictory facts.

lcdec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last replies were interesting but here are more facts to justify that global warming is taking place and climate changes will soon to follow.

Earth in Hand Gaming

"Embracing a Greener Tomorrow."

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I feel sorry for those people who don't care. I hope you are not one of them.

The "Humans are to blame" crowd ignores the overwhelming evidence that humans are actually NOT causing global warming, and are relatively powerless to affect it in any significant way. Yes, that humans are actually causing global warming.

Therefore, the goal to "stop" global warming is impossible, but we can slow it down to its normal speed and normal intensity, which I doubt. Anyway, the consequences, such as tornadoes and ocean levels will increase, but not nearly to the rate at which they are today. We will wait and see.

Also, don't forgot that study did suggests trees dying due to global warming. View the latest news here:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11532237

Global warming hits Antarctica recently in the news:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/01/2...rmingantarctic/

Minnesota's moose are dying?? Yes! Please view the latest news here as well:

http://article.wn.com/view/2009/01/11/Minn...warming_blamed/

Now, keep an eye out as the year goes by and from now on. It keeps getting worse. We can't ignore global warming because if you are then you are a fool! It is not funny anymore.

Global Warming is a terrible danger for Humanity. We are in danger right now.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Leaving aside questions of the validity of global warming theory itself...

I have some very important questions:

Ok, where's the website for this game company?
Ok, where's a screenshot of the game?
Ok, where's a description that goes further than "it's a game about global warming"?
Ok, where's a google hit for "Earth in Hand Gaming" that goes somewhere other than GBAtemp or the youtube vid?

If making a intensely vague post about a "game in development" supported by a generic youtube video is your idea of marketing, I suggest you bring at least one more person into your team.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
granville said:
As for CFL's I and thousands of people use them because we get used to them after 15 minutes. Any light but the sun is crappy. Get over it.

its hard to read by, gives me headaches, and screws around with my RF equipment. not to mention that its less environmentally friendly because they contain mercury. and any heat "wasted" by incandescents is given off as heat, which in cold climates is actually useful

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
All Im saying is over time the Earths temperature has fluctuated massively. Ten thousand years ago we had an ice age, 50 million years ago Antarctica was a lush tropical paradise filled with mammals and other indigenous life. Its foolish to believe the Earths temperature should be nailed down at a certain level forever. You know what really convinced me that man can not effect the earth's climate? When I found out that one, just one major volcanic eruption can throw up more CO2 into the atmosphere then man can in over a century! The Earths climate is dynamic, and will always change. A 30% increase in the Arctic ice sheet in one year shows that!

190808ice.jpg

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
All Im saying is over time the Earths temperature has fluctuated massively. Ten thousand years ago we had an ice age, 50 million years ago Antarctica was a lush tropical paradise filled with mammals and other indigenous life. Its foolish to believe the Earths temperature should be nailed down at a certain level forever. You know what really convinced me that man can not effect the earth's climate? When I found out that one, just one major volcanic eruption can throw up more CO2 into the atmosphere then man can in over a century! The Earths climate is dynamic, and will always change. A 30% increase in the Arctic ice sheet in one year shows that!

190808ice.jpg
Not sure about the whole volcano thing. But gran, could you explain the last ice age?

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Sonicslasher said:
Not sure about the whole volcano thing. But gran, could you explain the last ice age?

Im referring to major ones, the type that happen every decade or so. They throw up so much gas and other material in the atmosphere the Earth can become dimmer for years because of it.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
A 30% increase in the Arctic ice sheet in one year shows that!

Nothing over the period of a merely a year shows anything in terms of changing trends in climate. Short term data like that isn't climatology, it's weather forcasting.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
BlueStar said:
p1ngpong said:
A 30% increase in the Arctic ice sheet in one year shows that!

Nothing over the period of a merely a year shows anything in terms of changing trends in climate. Short term data like that isn't climatology, it's weather forcasting.

Im using this as an example because many of the climatologists who like to stir up global warming hysteria claimed that the ice sheet would be practically gone by this year. They didnt account for the fact that the sun would be going into a dormant stage.

By the way, the inner and outer planets of our solar system warmed up at the same rate as the Earth did over the last twenty years (when you take into account factors such as distance and atmospheric make up and so on) Frozen carbon deposits on Mars melted at the same rate as our ice caps, ice moons on Jupiter were also effected similarly....

That will be down to us not recycling as well then.
yaypsp.gif

edit: so I dont post again, I read every issue of New Scientist, its just like National Geographic, they always tow the line set to them

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Golbal Warming is just a money scam made up by the government. If you know science, then you know that our Planet goes through these times every 10,000 years or so where places that are usually cold start warming up and then places that are warm start cooling. There is really nothing we can do to stop it we just need to adapt. Humans do have a part in it, but we are about 1% of the problem.

And I think its funny how 10 years ago they were saying we are heading into another Ice Age, then Al Gore wanted some money and came up with this shit.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Unsurprisingly, that particular little nuggest gets it's own section in the New Scientist's Climate Change Myths Section as well

Climate myths: Mars and Pluto are warming too
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11642

EDIT: Ooh, and just as I post that, here's another one

NeSchn said:
And I think its funny how 10 years ago they were saying we are heading into another Ice Age

Climate myths: They predicted global cooling in the 1970s
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11643

A handful of scientists looked into that possibility. There was nowhere near the global consensus amongst peer-reviewed scientific studies we see today. People just swallow this kind of stuff down whole, don't they?

QUOTE: A survey of the scientific literature has found that between 1965 and 1979, 44 scientific papers predicted warming, 20 were neutral and just 7 predicted cooling. So while predictions of cooling got more media attention, the majority of scientists were predicting warming even then.

The point I'm making is that people absorb and repeat these little smart-ass quips on all kinds of subjects - "They were predicting global cooling not long ago!", "If we're evolved from apes, how come there are still ape then, ey?", "My friend's grandfather smoked 30 a day all his life and lived to 100!" They're popular because it's a quick soundbite and it gives people that smug "Aha" moment that they feel a penny's dropped and they've worked it all out. Sadly, if it's a misrepresentation or something that's being presented out of context the explanation is rarely as snappy and instantly gratifying. I'd advise people to at least have a look over the New Scientist feature just to see how many of them they recognise and learn a little bit more about what they do and don't mean with regard to the climate situation.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1146...-perplexed.html

lcdec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Our company's domain is still not purchased, and I will try to get screenshots of our game and post them up here. Our company was established about 2 months ago, therefore we are just getting started. Our website is also in its early stage, but here's a link (BELOW) to give you something about our company. To give you more insight about our company, we aren't trying to make a profit and we operate under the Connecticut Innovation Academy '08-'09 better know as "[CCC]." Here's a link for more information. CCC 08-09 Our company just wants to reach its goal by educating players about alternative energy, fossil fuels, global warming, etc. through our game currently in progress.

Earth in Hand Gaming

"Embracing a Greener Tomorrow."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER