Global Warming

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by lcdec, Jan 23, 2009.

Jan 23, 2009

Global Warming by lcdec at 11:07 PM (2,987 Views / 0 Likes) 44 replies

1. lcdec
    OP

Newcomer lcdec Advanced Member

United States
    Earth in Hand Gaming©

"Embracing a Greener Tomorrow."

Our company's goal is to try to educate people about alternative energy to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases being released into the Earth's atmosphere mainly because of the burning of fossil fuels which causes global warming. We will accomplish our goal through a videogame currently under development. "Undecided Fate," coming this Spring; 2009. Earth in Hand Gaming©.

Please go to the link below and view the short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI8WAiejl5A

2. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Sorry but I dont quite understand what you are doing. Are you trying to advertise the game because in my opinion, a video game is not likely to change the world.

3. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    A nice sim city enviro-terraforming type thing could be fun, but if this is just some hippie promo blaming humanity entirely for a warmer earth it can go suck a nut.

4. TodayiSawMyHeroF

Member TodayiSawMyHeroF GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hmm....If you wanted to increase awareness for global warming, I'd suggest you make a movie like "An Inconvenient Truth"

A video game isn't going to do much, because people play for entertainment not really for educational purposes, IMO.

5. lcdec
    OP

United States
    Yes, I am trying to advertise the game so when it's released you would have some awareness of the game already and maybe play the game. Playing the game will educate people about how alternative energy work, their benefits, etc. Playing the game will also inform people about how bad global warmings is getting, we conducted a survey and found out most people didn't even know global warming was happening on Earth. This is a computer game for with educational purposes in mind. Thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate it.

Earth in Hand Gaming©

6. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    I hate to type this but 'stupidest idea ever' there I said it. Reasons are...

+ Clearly its shovelware, a game is meant to be fun and entertaining, not learning how to be like Captain Planet.
    + How many times are we going to hear 'OMG ZOINKS!!! The Earth is melting!! THE EARTH IS MELTING!!' Yeah... you get the picture.
    + You only going to make a bored person to imagine and wonder what's going to happen if all the icecaps on the North Pole melt.
    + God or Mother Nature will save us before that disaster can happen.

7. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I must admit this is the first time a game development company has ever posted on our forums.
    Welcome here and, uhm, I shall see with my staff if we can accept this form of ... advertisement?

8. lcdec
    OP

United States
    Thanx for the feedback.

9. Shakraka

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Better not be some stupid, half-assed hippie shit.

10. Nocturnius

Member Nocturnius GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I find it interesting to be honest. I like educational games as well. I know there are people out there that would find this interesting as I do. There are many games like this out there not about global warming but about other things that are similar to what style of game you are making. A movie last only a hour or two. a game if made right could have a better educational impact than a movie. Your immersing the player into this game you made and they will learn about what it is you are trying to teach them. I say this is a good idea. I like it

11. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

that seemed nothing like a video about a game

12. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    This is giving me a flashback of Awesome Possum for the Genesis which had various questions on the environment and natural science.

13. lcdec
    OP

United States
    Thanx for all the feedback again. The game is in its development stage. To give you the basic concept, the player will go through various stages accomplishing goals or missions such as collecting parts to make a wind turbine. Using that example, the player will learn the ways a wind turbine work and how exactly wind energy is produced and able to be used to power up a washing machine or other appliances.

This wasn't meant to be a game trailer or anything particular to that. It was meant to introduce our company. More videos will be coming that will show off the game.

Earth in Hand Gaming©

14. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    huh..

my teACHER WAS TELLING THE CLASS ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING JUST LAST WEEK....

crap, caps locks.

15. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I believe that global warming exists and am currently doing what I can to be enviro-friendly (in my case, the one thing I can afford at the moment is CFL's and not using electricity I don't need).

That being said, games with environmental themes are ok, like Chibi Robo DS or whatever, but they usually turn out badly, or are shovelware.

The best media with an environmental message to me (besides documentaries) was the movie Fern Gully.

16. Isaiah

Member Isaiah The Conductor

Australia
    seems nice [​IMG]

17. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    meh, no one is really doing anything about global warming, and a computer game isn't going to change that. it is being used as a con too, with things like those shit CFL bulbs that have terrible light and are not more environmentally friendly in cold climates

18. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    People did seem to care about GW and the environment this Christmas. I've never seen so many people use LED lights on their trees and houses! In fact, I've NEVER seen people do it ever. But now everyone did. [​IMG]

Even my mom got some. She took them back afterwards though cause we're broke. [​IMG] And she stole my money too.

As for CFL's I and thousands of people use them because we get used to them after 15 minutes. Any light but the sun is crappy. Get over it.

19. lcdec
    OP

United States
    Thank you, all your replies are much appreciated. This is going to be a computer game and we are not the only company doing this, several companies as well are trying to raise awareness about pollution, global warming, etc. Therefore, the word of global warming will get out, in fact, an expo in May will held dedicated to this subject of matter.

Earth in Hand Gaming

20. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    But do you believe in man made global warming?