Getting the Best Wii Television Setup

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by dinofan01, Nov 28, 2008.

Nov 28, 2008
  1. dinofan01
    OP

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    So recently I got my parents 37" LCD tv. I have my wii hooked up to it with component cables. It looks so bad to when I compare it to my old standard def tv. The edges of a polygon are so ugly. The lines are all broken up. Now heres my question. With all the possible option (aspect ratio and tv resolution), what is the best combination for a large tv? Ive tried 16:9 with 480i resolution which reduces the ugly edges but it appears blurry. Ive also tried 4:3 with 480p and that looks ugly and I feel downgraded wit the image being smaller. Any suggestions?

2. uberjedi

Newcomer uberjedi Newbie

United Kingdom
    Component cables 480p widescreen looks fine for me, but I'm only using a 22 inch. I think that's the best you can get it, and since the wii doesn't output HD, it won't look as good on a huge screen than on a smaller one.

3. Xta Large

Member Xta Large GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Uh, Widescreen 480p? Duh?

You might also want to look into an HDMI upscaler (they're kind of expensive but worth it if you have multiple SD game systems). A friend of mine has a nice 48" with a built in upscaler and the Wii looks damn good on it (jaggy edges are just about gone).

Anywhos, you're gonna want to stick to 480p since things will look better in motion, you'll get a higher framerate, and the colors will be sharper. And Widescreen, because that's probably what your TV is.

Which component cords do you have, btw?

4. dinofan01
    OP

United States
    First party nintendo. Ill look into this upscaler. Any links would be nice.

5. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I have a 50 inch HDTV with my Wii hooked up with component cables (not official cables). I have it set at widescreen 480p and for me it looks great. No jaggy edges here.

6. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I have a Sony Bravia TV with the composite cable setup. I agree you can see some of the edges, but that's because it's so nice and sharp. I have to say I usually sit about 2 mtrs from the screen so I don't see all the rough edges all that clear. I think in certain games it looks fine, to my standards even fantastic! But If you played 360 or PS3 games I guess the Wii would be a BIG down step. So if I would advice anything, it would be more a different console than a different TV (setup).

7. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    I have a 42" Sony and the madcatz cables. 16x9, 480p. Looks great here, but of course, it definitely depends on the game. Some games, like Zelda, show huge improvements. Other games, you can't really tell the difference. And a few games actually do look worse, but then, didn't look that good in the first place... Overall though, it was worth the 8$ I paid for them on Amazon.

8. dinofan01
    OP

United States
    Damn I dont know then. What made me first notice was No More Heroes. Is that a game that looks ugly on HD?

9. slaphappygamer

Member slaphappygamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

dude, its just the game. its all jagged, especially when driving. all my other games like, mario kart and ghost squad look great. i have a 52" hidef samsung with component or composite (the one with 3 vid and 2 audio) and i think its 1080i.

10. innercy

Member innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

exactly. no more heroes look totally crap in hdtv.. thats why crt tv is betterespecially tv that support 100hz edtv.