Homebrew Getting on the E-shop with an old System version

zbw2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick note before I begin typing, I have almost no idea how the spider exploit works or how the e-shop checks the system version so what i'm thinking may not even be possible. Anyway hare its what I i was thinking could be done.

Would it be possible to inject a false system version into the ram while the e-shop is loading? So this way when the e-shop goes to check what version you have it while think you have the latest but it is really just looked at the fake version that was injected by the spider exploit. This way you well be able to get new games/updates while still being able to play homebrew and all that other stuff. Like i said above, I don't know if this would be possible with just the spider exploit but I still wanted to get the idea out there incase it is.

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Just a quick note before I begin typing, I have almost no idea how the spider exploit works or how the e-shop checks the system version so what i'm thinking may not even be possible. Anyway hare its what I i was thinking could be done.

Would it be possible to inject a false system version into the ram while the e-shop is loading? So this way when the e-shop goes to check what version you have it while think you have the latest but it is really just looked at the fake version that was injected by the spider exploit. This way you well be able to get new games/updates while still being able to play homebrew and all that other stuff. Like i said above, I don't know if this would be possible with just the spider exploit but I still wanted to get the idea out there incase it is.

I was under the impression that the home menu button wouldn't even work right after initializing the eshop (or at least throw an error when loading back because that usually happens when using home menu during a process that requires internet). Might as well check both of those cases first.

zbw2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression that the home menu button wouldn't even work right after initializing the eshop (or at least throw an error when loading back because that usually happens when using home menu during a process that requires internet). Might as well check both of those cases first.
oh yeah, i forgot you couldnt close the eshop while loading. what if the fake version was injected and then the eshop was force opened. kind of like how region three works

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I think a better shot might be trying to see if the 3ds Eshop works the way the wii one does- rather than checking the version of the system as a whole, it checks the version of the Eshop app installed. That's why, on wii, you can install a .wad file (like .cia files on 3ds) of just the latest shop version and be able to access the shop without updating.

zbw2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a better shot might be trying to see if the 3ds Eshop works the way the wii one does- rather than checking the version of the system as a whole, it checks the version of the Eshop app installed. That's why, on wii, you can install a .wad file (like .cia files on 3ds) of just the latest shop version and be able to access the shop without updating.
even if it does work like the wii is it even possible to dump built in apps yet?

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It would be awesome to spoof fw version on my 9.0 without emunand. I don't really have anything to contribute to this thread other then my interest and add attention. Maybe someone will pick up this challenge.

SMVB64

Now your playing with power! Super power!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, I hope something like this is possible! Haven't played Smash online in so long thanks to the new patch lol

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Oh, I hope something like this is possible! Haven't played Smash online in so long thanks to the new patch lol

For game updates you can setup a linked Emunand, update it to the latest firmware, download the patch and then it will be available on sysnand. I got my smash working on 9.2 this way after going through downgrade and back.

Reactions: SMVB64

SMVB64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For game updates you can setup a linked Emunand, update it to the latest firmware, download the patch and then it will be available on sysnand. I got my smash working on 9.2 this way after going through downgrade and back.
Ah, I never though about this! I just have a few questions.

Say I have a 9.2 system (with saves, Eshop games etc) I am guessing they will be wiped in the downgrade?

Then when I am on 4.2FW (after I set up emunand, download the patch) how do you safely update sysnand back to 9.2?

Thanks again, SM

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm almost positive that's what he's saying. If the nands share the same extdata on the sd then the version obviously doesn't matter. I would just backup anything on the sd and restore the system to 9.x. If that doesn't work, youre back where you started.

If you're using a gateway, isn't there an app for downloading anything from eShop in cia form? Why not stay at 4.5 and just use emunand?

Reactions: SMVB64

SMVB64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm almost positive that's what he's saying. If the nands share the same extdata on the sd then the version obviously doesn't matter. I would just backup anything on the sd and restore the system to 9.x. If that doesn't work, youre back where you started.

If you're using a gateway, isn't there an app for downloading anything from eShop in cia form? Why not stay at 4.5 and just use emunand?

Ok!, thanks for the reply's. I think I'll give that a try then see how its goes. If any thing goes drastically wrong ill have a backup to fall back to.

Also no I wish haha. I wish I had a gateway atm

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I see, with gateway restore, but doing that will it still keep the patch I downloaded threw the linked emunand?

The reason this works is because the SD doesn't get formatted when you downgrade or restore your nand backup, the only moment it ever gets wiped is when you setup your emunand. Either way you should make a NAND backup + copy all the content of your SD card before attempting a downgrade, that way you'll be able to restore everything back in case you mess up.

That's basically the idea. The first time I attempted this I forgot to copy my SD content back after setting up Emunand so the system made new files which I couldn't match with my old backup, even when I was able to locate the folder with the update it wasn't recognized by the old SD backup (appeared with an X at data management), however if I just restored without paying attention to my SD card content and the updates worked all fine. I attempted to do it a second time but remembering to copy back my SD card after formatting (because eshop games duh) and it finally worked as I was expecting.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ok!, thanks for the reply's. I think I'll give that a try then see how its goes. If any thing goes drastically wrong ill have a backup to fall back to.

Also no I wish haha. I wish I had a gateway atm
Your not going to be able to update the emunand without a flash card

SMVB64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your not going to be able to update the emunand without a flash card

There's a bypass luckily.With MT card launcher you can get up to 9.5 emunand and use the shop.

zero2exe That's one heck of a response! Thanks, I'm going to attempted this tonight and see how it goes.

Also I think you should make a thread with the info you posted here. Alot of people are stuck in the same boat not knowing how to get new patches without gateway card.

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
even if it does work like the wii is it even possible to dump built in apps yet?

Yes, using rxTools (http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-rxtools-roxas75-3ds-toolkit-fw-2-0-9-2.382782/). Or you can directly download them with UpdateCDN/3DSNus.

There's a bypass luckily.With MT card launcher you can get up to 9.5 emunand and use the shop.

zero2exe That's one heck of a response! Thanks, I'm going to attempted this tonight and see how it goes.

Also I think you should make a thread with the info you posted here. Alot of people are stuck in the same boat not knowing how to get new patches without gateway card.

rxTools actually has a beta version of an Emunand / CFW called "rxMode" being worked on at the moment too, although I think it requires you to have a gateway or MT Emunand first. Not sure what the potential advantages or disadvantages are to current methods though. Plus, that part has only been downloadable for less than a day so I'd wait a bit to see how well it works for other people first.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

How? I reverted back to sysnand and formated my emunand partition because I couldn't update it. Im certain I tried both Mt and gateway launchers. But yeah, if it's possible I would love to get back to using an emunand.

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
How? I reverted back to sysnand and formated my emunand partition because I couldn't update it. Im certain I tries both Mt and gateway launchers. But yeah, if it's possible I would love to get back to using an emunand.

Maybe because you unlinked your Sysnand/Emunand at some point? All I did was:
1. Downgrade
2. Setup MT Emunand. (copy files back after formatting)
3. Update Emunand
4. Get into Eshop
5. Download game updates (not games though)
6. Go back to sysnand and run gateway launcher. Restore the old Nand
7. ???
8. Profit. Smash works with online on 9.2

If it makes any difference I used the "Download Later" option on everything instead of remaining connected to the eshop.
I'd still try this with Roxas Tools though, you can setup a gateway emunand directly in 9.2 and then use the tool to access it, but it also works with MT-Emunand (and also fixes the Japanese bug)
Yes, using rxTools (http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-rxtools-roxas75-3ds-toolkit-fw-2-0-9-2.382782/). Or you can directly download them with UpdateCDN/3DSNus.

rxTools actually has a beta version of an Emunand / CFW called "rxMode" being worked on at the moment too, although I think it requires you to have a gateway or MT Emunand first. Not sure what the potential advantages or disadvantages are to current methods though. Plus, that part has only been downloadable for less than a day so I'd wait a bit to see how well it works for other people first.
Indeed it requires an existing Emunand right now, but that's being worked on. I tried launching it with both an MT-Emunand (9.5) and a Gateway Emunand (9.2 updating right now) and they work flawlesly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water