Hardware Hacking Getting an R4

L3oCub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi! I have had an R4 for 8 years now but over the last 2 years it stopped working and I thought I should finally get a new one.
The original one was a gift and they set it up for me so I have no experience doing so.
I'm planning on buying the R4i sdhc GOLD Pro from nds-card . com
But before I buy I wanted to ask about the process of installing and double check if this would be the right R4 to buy.
While looking into how to set up the R4, I saw something about using a magnet to like, put your 3ds to sleep or something, but I thought I would just have to install some stuff to the R4... don't know if I feel comfortable using a magnet on the ds like that so I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction for setting up the r4.
Thanks a bunch :)

TLDR; How should I set up my R4 safely?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magnet method isn't necessary to set up an R4 cart unless you need it. It's really only for unbricking a 3DS.

The setup process is the same as 10 years ago. You just need to get a card that is compatible with the 3DS. Most (if not all) of the newer R4i series supports the 3DS, so you should be good.

Reactions: L3oCub

L3oCub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Magnet method isn't necessary to set up an R4 cart unless you need it. It's really only for unbricking a 3DS.

The setup process is the same as 10 years ago. You just need to get a card that is compatible with the 3DS. Most (if not all) of the newer R4i series supports the 3DS, so you should be good.
Thank you for the help :) then I'll order soon

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

All carts work on the 3DS, if you have CFW (why wouldn't you at this point). CFW also kind of invalidates a need for the general flashcart usage considering there's nds-bootstrap and all.

imo not worth buying another flashcart at this point, unless for some reason you are dying to use Moonshell 2 or something.

Reactions: Nikokaro and L3oCub

Ikanex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All carts work on the 3DS, if you have CFW (why wouldn't you at this point). CFW also kind of invalidates a need for the general flashcart usage considering there's nds-bootstrap and all.

imo not worth buying another flashcart at this point, unless for some reason you are dying to use Moonshell 2 or something.
Except if you want to play one the DS Lite and DSi?

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I saw something about using a magnet to like, put your 3ds to sleep or something,
don't know if I feel comfortable using a magnet on the ds like that
I didn't understand if you're going to use a 3DS or a DS....
In any case, I have had that same r4 for three years now, and it has never given me any major problems. But I used YSMenu from the beginning instead of its own software, which at that time contained the famous "time bomb"; but the latest, more recent model on the market is fortunately without it.
But YSMenu is incompatible with the Inazuma series and a few other titles. Only the quality of the plastic and components of this flashcart is poor, but given the price, it is understandable.
Nowadays they are all chinese and all of similar quality. They should still be treated with care, especially when inserting the microSD into the r4 slot. Let's hear what other users suggest...;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all