Getting a new motherboard question

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Dec 23, 2009.

Dec 23, 2009
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    My current motherboard can't support more than 4gb RAM or the newer CPU. Which is why after Christmas, I am going to give it an overhaul So far, this one caught my eye:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167788

But the PCI-Express is only x16 but I see graphics card that require the PCI-Express 2.0. Will this cause any problem?

Also, how much more performance can I expect if I get Windows 7 64bit with 8gb RAM and is this CPU decent:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139971

2. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    That motherboard's chipset only supports PCI-Express 1.1, however PCI-Express 2.0 GPUs will still function as they are backwards compatible with the older standards.

As for the CPU, it's a really good dual core CPU for overclocking and should work really well. Of course, there are better ones but it's a good one nonetheless.

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    That motherboard has an integrated gpu. If you're getting a dedicated graphics card I would be more inclined to get another motherboard. There's little point in paying extra for a feature you won't be using. A micro atx while smaller, also normally has less features then a atx board. Something to keep in mind.

The e8400 is an excellent dual core cpu. I have it in my current rig. [​IMG]

You should see a sizeable difference when running windows 7 with a large amount of ram. Windows Vista and 7 tries to make use of all your available ram by caching files and programs to ram for more instant access.

4. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Bumping this thread with a new question.

I see a decent priced Core 2 Duo but then I see a Core 2 Quad for extra. Is there any real performance difference between Duo and Quad and is it worth the extra cost?

5. Elritha

Canada
    Depends on the speed of each one in question. For gaming not many games actually make use of a Quad Core. For video encoding and other cpu intensive applications that are optimised for multi-core it'd be better.

Personally I would choose a faster Dual Core then a slower Quad Core.

6. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
  7. Elritha

Canada
    I'd avoid the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 altogether. It only has 4MB L2 cache, for a Quad Core that isn't much at all.

For the Dual Core I don't think it's worth getting the 8500 over the 8400, for the price difference.

There isn't too much of a speed difference between the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 compared to the 8400. It will be slower in almost every game, but will be more future proof when games utilize more then 2 cores. You could always overclock it to gain similar clock speeds to the 8400 also.

After looking at the prices and specs I would be more leaning towards the Quad if I had a little extra budget to spare. Both are good cpus anyway, in my opinion.

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    Q9550 if you can spare it...