Getting a Custom Health Screen on Bootup

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Omnislash124, Jun 1, 2009.

Jun 1, 2009
  1. Omnislash124
    OP

Newcomer Omnislash124 Newbie

United States
    So I've been looking around pretty much the entire morning, researching how to get a custom health screen when the Wii boots up. I found a method using Healthii 1.1 on the boards and I thought I'd try it out. I generated my *.health file as it said using the SystemMenu-v289.wad (NTSC-U Wii) and used the healthii installer to install the *.health file. It flashes some message that's way to fast to read, and then I exit out of it to try it out. Seems like nothing changed.

I then looked up other ways to install *.health files to the Wii and found icefire's MyMenuify, which supposedly handles *.health files. I downloaded that to try it and sure enough, it says that the operation was completed successfully. I restart the Wii to check it out, and it lands me on a black screen indefinitely, probably signifying a brick.

Obviously, I don't come unprepared. I backed up the NAND to my SD card before attempting anything (via Bootmii's Backup Utility) and restored the NAND (via Bootmii's Recovery Utility) and am back sitting at the Wii Menu, Health screen still default. Does anybody else have any suggestions as to what else to try? I think MyMenuify works fine, but the *.health file I have is incorrectly made.

Also, I looked all over for any requirements for the Wii to try this, but I didn't find any. I believe I'm running System Menu 3.4U at the moment, which may explain why the *.health file bricked the Wii. HBC is installed for me, as is BootMii, as mentioned before. If it matters, cIOS v10 is installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, I should also add that I'm going to try SoftMii 2.1 next. I can't find very good instructions on it, so if anyone could point me in a direction for that, that would be great too.

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
  3. Omnislash124
    OP

Newcomer Omnislash124 Newbie

United States
    Thanks for your help TJ.

I ended up downgrading the firmware from 3.4U to 3.2U actually. It made sense as to why it bricked because my system menu wasn't v289 as it is in 3.2U. Anyways, it works fine now. There's no wide screen support, apparently, so I've defaulted to switching my screen to 4:3 mode on my HDTV. Everything's stretched, but the custom health picture stretches too, so whatever.

Thanks for your help though.