Hacking GET a dsx, dsx is GOOD from a GOOD company

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont hate the DS-X, I hate the manufacture for charging so much for it, maybe it might have warranted the high price when it first came out, but now the R4 has been released the DS-X team are just taking the piss.

H8TR, if feel like taking a look at the prices of the R4, you will find that the price I gave did include the price of a 1 GIG mem card.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont hate the DS-X, I hate the manufacture for charging so much for it, maybe it might have warranted the high price when it first came out, but now the R4 has been released the DS-X team are just taking the piss.

Let people buy it if they want it, obviously better flashcarts will come out and we'll all be saying "why buy a R4DS?" in the near future. Help people make the right decision, not badmouth a product and its buyers.
smile.gif

freakygeeky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

freakygeeky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ZeWarriorReturnz

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what kind of idiot spent over $100 for compatibility like this:
http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/DSX_compatibility_list
when you can get a compatibility like this:
http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list
I count 0 "doesn't run" and ~20 "runs with problems" in both lists.

Then you can't count. DS-X has about 45 that don't run while the R4 has 22. and 22 =/= 45? R4 FTW

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How rediculous...

R4 = $45 M3 = $50, difference being $5.
Well you do get a nicer sticker on the M3 for the extra $5.

R4 = $45 DS-X = $120, difference being $75.
Now lets see what we get for the extra $75, worse compatibility, support and half the memory, and dont tell me it has better Single Card Download support, because that doesnt warrant the $75 extra. And that why only idiots buy DS-X's.

Put the DS-X at the same price as the R4 and I bet the R4 would still out sell it.

You didn't include the cost of a Micro SD card and you can't claim that the R4 has more space. It can have less (Micro SD's start at 64MB iI believe or it is the smallest I have ever seen) and can be as large a 4GB. And I will tell you that is has better DL play support. What you gonna do about it? Not trying to bash the R4 (I own a M3 DS Simply afterall, I don't own a DS-X) but if you are going to trash talk a flashcart, get all the facts first.

You can get a 2GB microsd card for $20 now. So add that to the price of the R4 and it STILL is way cheaper. THats the only think I hate about the DS-X. It costs too damned much.

It's kinda like prostitution: Why pay one whore $100 for a blowjob when another will do it for $20. Either way, you get good enjoyment. Same goes for R4/DS-X, both are great, one is just cheaper
yaynds.gif

whatfun81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is not a good company. Do not buy from them!

Mine broke, Upgrading firmware, Which they E-mailed me and told me to use. Give your money to charity instead.

pbolmstedt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what kind of idiot spent over $100 for compatibility like this:
http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/DSX_compatibility_list
when you can get a compatibility like this:
http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list
I count 0 "doesn't run" and ~20 "runs with problems" in both lists.
Then you can't count. DS-X has about 45 that don't run while the R4 has 22. and 22 =/= 45? R4 FTW
Perhaps You, sir, are colorblind. In the Scorpei compatibility lists:

Red = don't run (DS-X has 3, the ones with "new save types". Didn't count R4's)
Blue = runs with issues (both have a bunch, maybe these are the ones you counted)
Green = runs like it's 1999

Are You still with us, sir? If you are, then let me continue:

If You look at the "issues" on the DS-X page, it's mostly "slowdowns" and such, nothing that prevents You from playing and completing a game.

(DS-X has lots of reasons to be pissed upon, but ROMZ compatibility wasn't one before the ones with "new save types", so it seems unfair to piss on it to help You postpone confronting Your issue with randomly picking names for colors.)

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else noticed that the DSX fans are the only ones that really go tooth and nail in flame wars over their card? Sure, the R4 fans step in and incite some flames as well, but nowhere near the scale of the DSX fans. Has anyone else wondered why this is? Why are these people defending an inferior product to the death?

Maybe someone has a real explanation of this weird concept, but I think it's just brand loyalty. Much in the same way that there are still people who will swear that Internet Explorer is the best browser there is. It isn't even a matter of personal taste or preference, it's an inferior product in pure technical terms, and people will swear by its superiority. I really don't understand it, and I hope someone here can enlighten me.

Now, I don't really see someone being influenced by this thread (there's about a million others to sift through), but here's my opinion on the matter:

I own two DSXs, and two R4s (with 1GB cards each). In case you're wondering, I have pairs because of my girlfriend. I got the DSX first, not really knowing which to go for. After using it for a few months, I felt very satisfied by it. It did everything I wanted it to do, and more. But eventually, I saw more and more buzz going on about this new R4 card. I read up on it, and thought, "well, expandable media is nice, but it really doesn't do anything different, and it doesn't even have full download play". Then I saw the price. 3 times cheaper? (than what I paid for my DSX) And that comes with a 1 GB card... twice the capacity of the DSX. (granted, prices between now and then were different, but it's still significantly cheaper).

So I thought there must be a reason for it being dirt cheap. It must have no support, or be made very cheaply, or SOMETHING. Well, after someone I knew got one, and the non-stop flood of praise for it, I ordered one. After loading everything up on it (something I didn't need to do with the DSX), I popped it in and turned on my system. 3 seconds later, I'm at the game list. "Holy crap, my DSX takes at least 30 seconds to do that. Chalk one up for the R4". Then I started a game. About the same loading speed there. And compatibility is pretty much the same as well. The build quality is a little better on the R4, but nothing terrible. My DSXs are still in one piece. Ease of use was about on par, too. Drag and drop goodness for both cards. Skin support was about 100 fold better for the R4 as well.

At one point, one of my DSX cards died. It wasn't recognized by the DS, or my PC. After about 2 weeks of waiting, the DSX team sent me something to repair it. Well, it sort of worked (I had to mess around with it a bit myself), but that DSX is mostly back to where it was. 2 weeks. That's simply unacceptable support for your card. Any questions about it on their forums would only end in, "please leave a report on the support tracker". That's their "get in line and wait" system for fixes. After the 16Gb fiasco, that wait in line is even longer now.

As for the R4, I also noticed the much more frequent firmware updates, and the massive amount of community support. On the DSX side of the field, updates were not just few and far between, they were almost non-existent. I saw a total of 2 updates in the time I owned the card, one that simply broke the card if used under Vista (or any other still unknown reasons). Also, the DSX community was pretty much a bunch of bitter people who would argue with anyone over anything. (and they're on here, too) And the mods over there love to delete topics and ban people. Good luck getting any help there.

Well, small features and such aside, this is my take:

One card costs at least twice as much as the other, but with nearly equal compatibility.
The cheaper card has at least twice the storage space, give the price.
The more expensive card has nearly non-existent support.
The cheaper card is far less likely to break (expandable media vs. onboard)
The more expensive card does have a local (as in, the U.S.) team, with full english support... not that it helps.
It should be painfully obvious which one is "better".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up